Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Condors of Cajon
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 11:34 AM
The Condors of Cajon

Just got back from the ranch at Canjon Cajon where we spotted a pair of California Condors. They were almost twice the sice of the vultures. They appeared to be checking out nesting sites.
I am looking for more info on them and possible places they might have been released. From what I have found so far there are only 80 or 90 in the wild.
I return tomorrow with my friends 500 mm lens so hopefully will get some photos.
burro bob
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 01:16 PM

I'm waiting - no too patiently - for the photos. Near the mouth of the canyon or farthur up?

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 05:02 PM

Great news!
Maybe a report to the San Diego Zoo is in order... They were released up on the tablelands southwest of the observatory, I believe.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 05:03 PM

Lou
They were at the mouth of the canyon. We watched them playing for about 2 hours. They spent quite a bit of time at one cliff site so maybe it is a good home for them.
An internet search has revealed that they are curious and not afraid of activity.
Also the SSPM National Park is a release site for these birds.
Eight have been released there so far, one is dead. They were all recently recaptured for new GPS telemetry units to be attached. It appears that they have already been re-released.
I never even knew they were flying around out there.
I hope they are still there when I get back there with a big enough camera.
burro bob
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 08:28 PM

We saw them in the SPM last year between Meling and Mike's.....lots of tags--easist way to identify them.
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 12:34 PM

Went back up yesterday in the morning. At first I only spotted a couple of turkey vultures. Then I spotted this big black lump way up on a rock on the south side of the canyon. Sure enough it was a condor. After getting the camera set up I took a few shots of him sitting there. He didn't fly for about an hour after I'd spotted him. About 10:15 he launched, the vultures had been in the air for about an hour allready, and went to the north side of the canyon. He circled overhead a couple of times and I got a good look at him. It wasn't either of the ones I had seen on Sunday. This one was still a juvenile, his head was grey instead of yellow/orange. He soon headed out to the valley. By the time I moved my stuff further out of the mouth so I could follow him, he was just a small black dot. But he was with 3 other black dots the same size. They must have been close by but out of sight.
I only used up half the film, so I will return tomorrow to finish the roll. Probably won't have the film developed and digitized until monday.
Anyone in the area should go on out and look for yourself. Get there early, 8:00-8:30, and wait for the thermals to build. They won't fly unless the wind is up or they have thermals.
Someone needs to come to San Felipe and give a presentation, in Spanish, about these birds. I started showing the picture in my bird book to locals. Almost all of them had no idea what I was talking about.
One guy said he had seen one in the wash just west of the arches. He said it took off as he approached and scarred the crap out of him. He knew it wasn't a turkey vulture but didn't know about condors.
Another old man said he knew what kind of bird I was talking about, adding they taste like turkey.
burro bob
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 05:36 PM
Is it Condors of Cajon or Cajones of Condor?

I'm sorry!!! It's just that time of day for me :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-5-2005 by Skipjack Joe]
Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 07:34 AM
Condors

Here's an up close and personal look at of one of our condor friends who visits us at one of our race radio relay sites. As far as I know, all of the Baja condors have tylemetry tags on their wings and the scientists refer to them by the # on their tag. They have a 9? foot wingspan. They make no sounds vocally (they're so prehistorically derived that they have no voicebox) but when they fly close enough overhead you can actually hear the wind in their wings...awesome!

You can find more info on the condors released in Baja by the SD Wild Animal Park by looking at http://www.sandiegozoo.org/wap/condor/home.html

[Edited on 5-5-2005 by Elena La Loca]
Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 07:44 AM

We had an opportunity to spend some time w/ the scientists their at 'Condor Mesa' (our term) a couple years back. We burned a cd of all the pictures we took and gave it to them. They were pretty thrilled to see that we'd captured a photo of 4 of the 5 condors they had there at the time (there might be more now, I'm not sure) - many of the scientists themselves had never seen that many in flight so close together & simultaneously.

[Edited on 5-5-2005 by Elena La Loca]
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 07:59 AM

Elena,
Great photos. I've seen your collection and it is truly amazing. What a great, once in a life time experience to be able to get up and personal with these great birds! And, you've done it more than once!

Saludos!
P.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 10:27 AM
flap, flap, flap

Awesome shots, Elena, to say the least! Thanks for jumping in and posting them. What a treat just to see the pictures, I can only imagine what it must be like to see them in the flesh...er, feather. :tumble:

Say hey to Bill.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 03:45 PM

Awesome birds.
Awesome photos.

When we were up in the SPDM last year,for the first time ever, we looked and looked and looked but never saw any condors. Only later did we learn that they had all been captured to update the telemetry stuff. :O That is why we plan to return soon!

Last week we approached Coco's Corner,for the first time ever, anticipating finally getting to meet a legend only to find Coco not at home!:O

Hope he is doing well and we can't wait to get back down there,soon.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2005 at 06:22 PM

you'll know it when you see one-their size overwhelms even a TV(turkeyvulture)we saw them up high and just went "holy s--t! those things are big!":o
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2005 at 10:14 AM

Great photos Elena. I'll be suprised if any of mine come out that good. Is "Condor Mesa" a secret site or is it possible to visit there?
Didn't see them yesterday. I might have got there to late or they spent the night somewhere else. Now that I know that they are there I will pay a lot more attencion when I see birds soaring in the valley.
The first day we saw them we could hear the wosh of their wings every time they flapped, even though they were across the canyon much higher on the ridge.
burro bob
Elena La Loca
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2005 at 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by burro bob
Is "Condor Mesa" a secret site or is it possible to visit there?

If I told you, I'd have to kill you...sorry! There will be no frijole spilling done by this loca.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.