Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DQ Q98
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 09:02 PM
DQ Q98

I was a DQ after not getting a visual at RM 11. It was a real heart breaker after the great performance we had. I started 2nd to last and passed all but the first 2 quads off the line at RM 50. Brianna took over and had a good ride to her dad at Morelia jct and her dad finished it up. There were 11 quads and bikes DQ'd in this race. It was a bad example that CODE is trying to make. I know there are a lot of very upset riders right now. It was a real let down..Anyway I'll be back in action racing my bike this Sunday in the Laguna Salada. ZR promotions is putting it on. A 90 minute G.P then it is time to get ready for the 500. I'll be riding from VDT to Ojos Negros 104 miles. I hope to see you guys down there. Paul
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 07:51 AM

Sorry about the DQ. Good luck in the GP.

Tom
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 08:05 AM

cant you write the names of the places? lots of people wont know what the heck you are talking about. you need to keep in mind that people all over the world read this Forum and some have never been to Baja.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 08:32 AM

It was an off road race around San Felipe... I would be happy to post a course map if Paul or someone emails it to me.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 09:08 AM

David Here's the link to the CODE website with the map for the Tersa 200

http://www.codeoffroad.com.mx/codeoffroad/tersabfg200.htm

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 09:12 AM

Wow Paul - what a bummer - glad you all finished safely - I'll see you Friday

Good luck in the Grand Pri, and the 500 as well.

(D.Q. - disqualified)

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 01:35 PM

THank You Bruce! I appreciate that if no one else does!! Tho I have been to Baja! Lol Lol! Just don't always understand the race lingo??
meme
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 06:16 PM

Like many sports off-road racing takes on a language all it's own. Those involved simply abbreviate many names etc. Using the race mile (RM) tells us exactly where it's at from the course map. In this case he was RM11 or 11 miles from the start in San Felipe, going north, that would make it about 4 miles past the Zoo road crossing. Getting disqualified (DQ) means you either went off the marked course or missed a check point, in this case a visual check point. It could also be from many other things. CODE is the promoter of the race. They are based in Mexicali. G.P. is Gran Prix, it's like a motorcross race in the desert. 500 refers to the Baja 500 to be raced on June 4th. VDT is Valle de Trinidad.

We welcome everyone to come watch and enjoy or help a poor racer.
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 12:08 PM

Race mile 11 is where the course leaves the power line and heads north east back to the highway.
I talked to the guy who won in the quad division the day before the race. He told me that Code had informed everyone that they needed to go all the way to that corner. They wouldn't say if there would be a visual or not. That corner has been a problem with shortcoursing in both CODE and SCORE races.
tunaeater, In rereading this it looks like I am acusing you of cheating. Sorry, it is not intended. Just trying to point out a big problem in off road racing.
burro bob
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 12:35 PM

CODE did not DQ last year for this and nobody told me this was a problem and we had to go around the corner.. I didn't even know I was on a short cut. It was all by accident because I was taking many of the numerous access lines. I'm a very ethical racer who cares about safety and racing fair. I would never try to cheat or take a short cut. I race from hard work, dedication and heart.
SCORE has not DQ'd for this and I heard racers have taken this line the last 5 years. If CODE wanted racers not to go through that line all they had to do was put up a W sign. "Wrong way' like they do all along the course and nobody would have gone through. Another thing they could of done was to put a visual on the map. I feel they burned a lot of racers. It's easy to get off course with a large field when you are chasing and trying to pass other racers. CODE DQ'd 11 racers I don't think these guys were told to go around the corner. I think CODE was trying to make a point by setting this example. Well, they set the example very hard with that many DQ''s.
Oh well I'll go back and kick some rear on the next one. I'm just very bummed about all that hardwork and no points. Sorry guys if it sounds strong I'm just still a litttle upset and Burro Bob I'm not directing this towards you in any way. Just voicing my thoughts on this subject....Paul
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 01:09 PM

tunaeater
Even though I don't race, I know that section of the course pretty well and you are correct in pointing out how many lines/tracks there are out there. I agree CODE could have marked the line through that corner better. Overall I think CODE does a better job of course marking than SCORE.
I'll have to ask Felipe where he was when he got the word to go all the way to the corner. Did some races get a warning and others not?
I know in the Score San Felipe 250 several racers missed check 3. At least they were able to go back out on course and re-run that section. They got finishing points and not a DQ.
I am also hearing rumors that Score will require all racers to have the GPS tracking units for the 500. While this will enable them to figure out who went off course, it will do nothing to keep them from accidentaly taking the wrong track.
I guess I should said this in my first post but.. sorry about the DQ. I know it is a lot of work and effort to finish a race and then to be DQ'd like this would pee me off too.
I was at RM 19 and about 10% of the field were on a track about 100 yards further east from the marked track. Same thing for the Score race. After that race I talked to Tony Tellier about what Score considers shortcoursing. He said unless I wanted to go before the competition review committee with a complaint they would not tell me if that other track was considered illegal. In other word you can only get a rulling after the fact.
burro bob
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 05:52 PM

The top racers in Score that really know the course will often get a ruling on whether they can take a line. Sometimes it's at the riders meeting and sometimes it may be in a private conversation with Sal or one of his LTs. Technically a racer is to stay within 50 feet of the race course center. In the Dust to Glory movie about the 03 Baja 1000 Johnny Campbell clearly goes off course to run the beach two times in trying to get to the lead bike. Frankly I don't know if he cheated or not. He may have asked Sal before the race if running the beach was OK.

The black boxes the racers now much carry will tell where they went. They may not even check the boxes unless someone complains.
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 07:45 PM

TW I just saw D2G last night and I was wondering the same thing. Johnny Campbell was on the beach doing over 100 mph clearly off the course. They won 1'st place in that race.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.