Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto Needs Help!!!!!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 05:06 PM
Loreto Needs Help!!!!!

To all of the Amigos of this board and any one!!
Loreto has been hit very hard. There is a lot of damage from water as well as wind. The people are going to need help.I am awaiting to hear if Mira Mar survived.First reports are that Zargrosa was hit bad.
The people will need the following items and if you are going to try to get to loreto please take something!!
Canned Milk {cases}
Clothes
Bottled water{Cases}
Beans and Rice {Sacks}
Potates and Onions{Sacks}
From what has been determined so far Loreto was hit worse than 1976, it took over 2 weeks to get trucks and buses through. There was lots of water this time.
The items above are just a few of the basic needs but the needs will be for several months.If you do get thru you can go into the Plaza and find an offical to give the items.
Please Help if you can!!
Thank you Skeet/Loreto
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 05:28 PM
Loreto

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 05:30 PM

Sharky are you there? Let me know if you get any info. Will appreciate. Thanks Skeet/Loreto
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 05:36 PM
Loreto

Skeet--I talked with Jorge just now--he is Dr. Felix Zavala's brother. He and Sandra are here in Fontana awaiting the birth of their first grandchild---who is now three weeks overdue. Jorge talked with his brother yesterday and it was bad, three days of wind and rain. No road above town and still can't get over to Zaragosa to see what the damage is. However, al centro isn't too bad. Mira Mar probably is pretty bad as many mexicans have built in the low lying areas. Jeorge didn't seem to think it was as bad as your report---where did you get your information. As you know, my house is in Zaragosa so I am concerned for my neighbors. Don't misunderstand me, I believe what you wrote, but sometimes they will tell you it is worse than it really is. Sharky
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 05:49 PM
Skeet

Pam Bolles did a fairly good report on her site: Baja Big Fish Company. Said it rained pretty hard for about three hours, but sounded like everything was okay. I think she lives up in Mira Mar---in fact, I am sure of it. I am headed down by air on the 18th of October---as long as the doctors don't stop me and have my tickets already. I am feeling pretty good after the surgery, but still run out of breath. Also, Sally, Juanita's Mom can give us some info about the storm as Ty and Juanita are down there now. Russ
Jim

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 07:13 PM

Give us an idea of how we can help. Depending on reports I'll get tonight or tomorrow, I might be heading down to Bahia Gonzaga. I can extend my trip.
Msal
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 08:56 PM
Loreto report

I got a phone call from Juanita this late afternoon.She was calling from a pay phone as all lines are down and as she put it, severed! The lines over the Rio are gone and most boats that were left in the water are sunken, along with 14 boats in Puerto Escondido.The roof of the Villas office was torn off as well as some others there. Many palapas in Juncalito are history and there is no phone service nor electricity as of this evening for much of town. The Marina in Loreto is ,as she put it, no longer exsists(sp)! She will be calling me tomorrow at 4pm, after which I will post her latest report. I feel for all our friends and neighbors there right now!! They will need help. Pretty hard to send stuff when you can't even get there! I just bought Juanita a ticket out (plane) and hope she can get to the airport!!! I'll give the next update manana. Sally.. PS, I called you today Sharky, check your messages!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 08:36 AM

Sharky: Factual and verifiable information I do not have only bits and pieces.
The lower part of Mira Mar is bad, Zarogrosa was reported to be over run with water around the school and the levee was suppose to have been breached.
I know that the water is a bad problem as the local,Govt. built two Arroyos together coming down throu Miar Mar.
I will let you know as soon as I get some more info. Skeet/Loreto
El Almirante
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 08:47 AM
Loreto needs help

I think the current post of Pam Bolles at Baja Big Fish Company is about Ignacio. I have not seen anything at that site more current than 9/21/03. I am hoping to hear from Juanita at the Villas as we are heading down 10/5 and have reservations there.
El Almirante
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 02:44 PM
Loreto Needs Help

Check out the new post on the Baja Big Fish Company site, with detailed pictures and descritions by Pam Bolles.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 04:03 PM

Sharky: Just talked to Betty/Bill Riffe in Loreto.
Lots of trees down, roofs gone,Breadwater damaged. Acrooss the Arroyo to the Colonial looks o;. k. Mira Mar has a brand new Arroyo. There was a plane in and out today,so Airport must be open. Hope all,is o. k. at your place. Skeet/Loreto
Msal
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 08:29 PM
Loreto damage

After many hours on the internet and even more on the phone, (i talked to people in Loreto I have never
met, wrong numbers, but they were all ok!)Finally got to talk to Juanita. I will be picking her up tomorrow AM in San Diego. For those of you that have resos at the Villas, there should be no problem, unless the roads aren't cleaned up "Manana" I will try to give you all the best "first hand"(or second) report by tomorrow evening about the Loreto damage. I just know that things are pretty bad and the people will need plenty of help, as Skeet stated. The airlines are still flying, Gracias a Dios!
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 09:10 PM
Skeet

:no:Did you see the pictures of the marina? Holy Crap---I can't believe the Sea of Cortez could throw those big boulders around like that. I guess they lost some boats too. What is amazing is the old trawler that has been parked there since they threw the skipper in jail for transporting drugs, didn't sink. I would have thought that would have been the first to go. A lot of the boulders around the malacon are also gone. Most of the skippers pulled their boats out at the beginning of the storm so they are okay. I hate to see Loreto besmirched by the storm. But, I am sure they will get it all cleaned up pretty quick. Heard there was alot of damage down at Juncalito---but that faces right into the wind. Sally said the roof on the office of the Villas de Loreto blew off. Now my wife understands why only the Americans will build right on the beach in Baja Sur.:(
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 09:25 AM
HURRICANE

Deborah and I will be ready to help on our arrival.......end of Oct, beginning of Nov.

Capt. George

Been on the road to Florida, got the news via cell phone from Skeet...Back on site as of now!

Msal
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 10:29 AM

Hey George and all! I'm just leaving to go to San Diego to pick up Juanita at the airport. I'll post a report tonite after I get the news firsthand! Sally
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 11:46 AM
Loreto will pull through just fine

I've seen it before. Folks who typically sit on their behinds actually moving and helping with cleanup. Its beautiful how this town pulls together and cleans itself up. I do live in MiraMar and it is alright. I'm on the hill behind the colonia and could see the evacuations and the arroyos swelling. They evacuated the lowest lying areas but cleanup and recovery are happening at an amazing pace. The roads in Miramar are crap anyway, now they're really crappy. Poor planning to allow homes to be put into arroyos, but I don't know opf any that floated away, or any people hurt. The city's marina was the hardest hit. FONATUR and the government had plans to re-design the entire malecon and marina anyway! Now Marty was the catalyst that is cranking those gears into place. Most boats survived and the locals just blown away at the power of that mother nature can do. Loreto will be just fine, just watch us pull the town back together. I'll be posting more photos of the marina tomorrow. Big destruction theere, but we're in hurricane territory and this is hurricane season and none of the locals were surprized at what happened, just at how fast Marty descended upon us. The sea rose past the marina breakwall, through Macaw's REstaurant, and Vincente's Bar. Chile Willies is pretty much gone. At Loreto Shores cleanup was taking place on wednesday afternoon. Their concrete fillet table was gone and you can see where the sea creeped into some of the seaside homes, flooding the first floor. Lots of trees down. The rio Zaragoza is still flowing--four days later!

But the good news is that the weather is much cooler now!
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 11:49 AM
Loreto and south

Pam, any reports of Dengue in your area or do you know anything about it further south ?
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 12:08 PM
Dengue

I never even heard of Dengue until I moved here. In the rainy season near the end of the summer the health authorities post signs on how to aviod Dengue. Everyone knows that its a serious problem but few take the advice on the signs - the main message being to not have any standing water around. Last year the city came by my home (I live just outside of town in a newly devlolping area) to dispense poison to put into our water holding tank. This year I am told that the city has no money to fund that. FONATUR sprayed for mosquitoes earlier in the month, and it worked well but that has been three weeks ago. However I have not heard about how many follks have contracted the disease in our area. One of my neighbor's sons contracted it last week and the holiday festivities )Sept 15-16) kept him from being treated as no Doctors were on call. I gave his mother children's Tempra to relieve his fever and told her not to give him asprin. He went to the hospital the following day and has since returned home. He'll be fine- an 18 year old strong boy. I hear thr problem is much worse to the south and it will only get worse.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 12:24 PM
Loreto

Pam,

Thanks for all the info. Deborah and I will be there in Oct., Nov., staying till May. We
look forward to helping the people of Loreto on our arrival. Will see you then. Staying at Mike & Berthas on Calle Davis.

Capt. George & Deborah
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 04:08 PM
Dengue

Thanks Pam. I am stocking up on Deet and insect repellants to distribute down there. Mostly in the mountain communities but I will bring a lot if it is needed in yours or any other areas.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.