Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto still quiet
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 03:50 PM
Loreto still quiet

It just has not been any good for yellowtail. The spots north of Carmen, like Lobos, Alphonso and others seem to offer only scratch fishing for one, maybe two yellowtail for a hot boat, and lots of skunks. And those are the good days. I've gotten two off the airport in four tries. I hear reports from the Pulpito area are so poor that few Loreto boats go there. Catalan should have gotten hot before now, but the reality has been a long boat ride for few fish, if any. It's been unreliable, at best, at the reefs around Montserate down to Agua Verde area. A good day, then...nothing.

The last three years, late April/early May I expected a couple of fish on the BAD days, 4-5 on the good ones. And that's per angler, not per boat.

Cabrilla, pargo, etc? There have been some good catches, cabrilla to at least 26 lbs, but it is anything but wide open. Many anglers targeting these fish have been disapointed. For me it has been more miss than hit. Sierra? I'm forgetting what they look like, lol.

But it can still be OK. Yesterday I got one yellowtail over 30lbs and a bigger roosterfish. If we had live bait for the roosters, maybe we'd of gotten more. Also got some triggers. In a day or two I'll take my kayak out for triggers around some isolotes...some beach campers got a yellowtail from their inflatable at one Sunday.

Dorado are still way off but the water is warming, more wind and swells are coming from the south, and sailfish and marlin are being seen nearby. Soon...and I think the inshore fishing for roosters, jacks, ladyfish, barred pargo and other stuff gets better with the warmer water too.

Happy Mothers Day...which is today in Mexico...clever American mothers here got two Mother's Days!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.