BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone have any news of Mulege?
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 07:40 PM
Anyone have any news of Mulege?

Worried about friends living in palapas there. Heard it was hit very hard.Any info appreciated,k
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 04:15 AM
this just in from mulege

from Diana at the serenidad:

"hi thank you for asking, the hotel is ok the airtrip had alot of water but today was sunny and by satyrday will run the tractor, under the bridge it was mess aqll town was withoat electricity for more than 30 hours still no water some people lost there houses and belongs it was bad but everyone is ok see you soon" diana

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Keri
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 07:19 AM
Thanks Mike

I talked to my friends last night ,their house is right under the bridge, I guess that is where the worst stuff happened. They said Jorges waterworks which is right next to them is gone. the Almeja at the mouth of the river is gone . There was 8 ft. of water in their house. My other friends in The Orchard has 3 feet of water and mud in his house but he is ok. I'll have more info later today, k
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 10:42 AM
unreal!! too sad, i know so many there

wonder how Lujons home office under the bridge with the palms growing thru the roof faired? the water /ice guy gone?? i'm a regular there, ratz.....

keep posting
Almejas too! damn...

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Keri
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 11:35 AM
Mulege

Talked to Jeffery Lujon last night but he was calling me to find out if I knew anything. But I have heard anything under the bridge has major damage.k
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 05:01 PM
this is the most detail i can find today

from baja quest mulege board.

This report from Rick Barber in Mulege via eMail to BajaQuest Online ( www.bajaquest.com )

--------------------------------
Hi everyone, We finally got power and telephone service back tonight so I can now send this e-mail. Sit down... it isn't pleasant. We all knew Marty was coming and got as prepared as we could... almost. The only thing I failed to do was to move my Bronco to high ground.

None of us in the park felt that it was raining hard enough to cause a problem but we were soooooo wrong. Marty kicked our ass!!! The winds weren't too strong- 50-60 mph I would guess- and the rain was off and on, heavy at times and light at others. The winds stopped about 5:00 as did the rain. That gave us a bit of time to clean up before the sun set (no lights). Lucia and Maralba went to high ground as usual but I elected to stay and keep the little rain we were getting from accumulating. Well, about 10:30, what sounded like a train went through the park. I was lying down and got up to see a two-foot wall of water racing toward me, carrying our poodle with it. I grabbed Oliver (our parrot) and Nina (the poodle) and threw them in my Bronco along with my computer. Then I ran next door to wake my neighbors. By the time I got back to the truck, the water was up to my waist and I had to abandon it and save the computer and animals. There were four "families" in the park. Ray & Fabby have a 2-story house and elected to remain. The rest of us scrambled up the bank behind the houses to the highway. I had to go back for my glasses and parrot food that I forgot. By the time I returned to safety, the water was just about chest high. My house got about 50 inches of muddy water in it. The refrigerator & freezer got trashed, along with the washing machine and all the bureaus and nightstands inside and the dining room table, chairs and tables in the patio. We lost everything! The Bronco was under water to the top of the motor so he is going to the mechanic tomorrow. Hopefully, everything will turn out with it. They have a pretty good success ratio here. I haven't bee n able to get into the store room yet but it was full. The fishing rods will survive as they were hanging from the ceiling but the tackle boxes, power tools and a brand new KitchenAid mixer were on the floor.

For my Ham Radio friends, I THINK my low-band rig survived as did the power supply. Water was just up to the table where they were sitting and just a drop or two got inside but I don't think any circuits got wet. We'll know in a day or three. I did lose two 2-band HT's in the shack (they were sitting too low on the bench seat), and a scanner and a 4-band VHF-UHF radio in the Bronco. As for the rest of you in the park and in Mulege, as far as I know, only Jorge's got really hit. I didn't hear any reports of damage to any other park but, without making a special trip, I can't say for sure. Joy and Scotty, your trailer got water damage which I am trying to get taken care of tomorrow (Wednesday). I'm kind of rummy but, as I remember, the water got about 1-2 feet deep inside. Not too bad, considering. The only thing I think will suffer is the storage cabinet in the living room (the chess set sat on top of it). Traci & Gary, I'm not certain of the extent of your damage but it should be substantial... probably about 3 ft. of water inside. If it is like the rest of us, all your furniture got trashed and, possibly, the appliances. I'll look tomorrow to give you a better idea and will send you a separate e-mail... if the telephone lines stay up. Nonie, I can't give you any information but I'm sure Judy will get in touch. Just to give you an idea of the power of this flash flood, a semi-trailer was picked up from under the bridge, moved about 75 yards and ended up into the water plant. Don & Val's boat got picked up an driven through the fence and into the back yard between Del's house and Bobbie's, probably about 50 yards. This is a 19' fibreglass boat on a trailer.

The river road is no more. It is a miniature Grand Canyon Oh, our boat is OK Joy. We had water coming from two directions so it wasn't moved more than a foot or so. I'm going to be very busy for a couple of weeks. We're going to be living with Lucia's parents until the house gets repaired and we can get some new (used) furniture. I'll keep in touch via e-mail and, some day soon, I'll try out the radio on 40. Regards, Rick & Lucia Barber

SUMMARY AS OF WEDNESDAY MORNING: Power is back on in town. Not sure of Jorge's Park. Jorge's took the brunt of the damage. The concrete block houses are OK and the trailers will need a lot of cleaning but will probably be OK. With VERY FEW exceptions, everything inside and outside the houses and trailers is now junk! Water in not back on yet and we need it to clean up. Contrary to some reports, Jorge's did NOT get hit with an 8-ft. wave. The water was about 50 inches high at my house and probably about 60-65 inches deep at the low spots. It does LOOK like a tidal wave hit us but it was only (?) a flash flood. I'm getting reports that the Bomberos had been receiving radio reports from people in the Sierras warning of heavy rain but they never passed on the word to us to evacuate. I'd send you some pictures but my camera was in my truck which went skin diving with Marty. It got covered up to the top of the dash.

Roads to Santa Rosalia are sorta-kinda open. Only one vado at Palo Verde is out so the road should be repaired today (Wednesday). Small cars can pass but trucks and busses cannot.... yet. Regards, Rick Rick Barber - XE2/WB6EZI Live where you Play !!! Muleg?, BCS, Mexico

pretty bad stuff, i'm headed down 1st 2 weekends in oct.

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 05:22 PM
Damage in Mulege

Keri, I take back what I said about the hotel along the river road. WOW ! But nothing else has changes, just be flexible.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.