Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Holidays
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 09:37 PM

I'm not sure how this fits on the general discussion board, but it is this female's response to the Mother's Day issues raised.

I was raised in the Midwest, where we honored our mothers, fathers, grandparents, and children - each with her/his own day. I remember making cards for my mom and looking forward to treating her "like a queen" for the day. We served her breakfast in bed, gave her kisses and homemade presents and told her how much we loved her. Although now I am far away from my mom, this year I sent her a card with a long letter reminiscing about good times we've had together and a small gift; I called her that day and told her how much I love her and why.

I was raised with a clear understanding of what it means to honor some one or something, and I believe I've taught that same wonderful behavior to my son. This mother's day he made arrangements ahead of time to come to town and do grunt work in my garden. (great present and something I really looked forward to - both time with my son and much needed help in my garden) He spent the entire day working hard, and my sweet husband worked along side in honor of his mother now passed over. On the ride to get mulch, my son reminded me he loved me - and then pointed out that he would be adding my name to the registration & insurance of his new (to him) Toyota 4Runner in order that I might feel free to drive it to/through Baja. He told me that he appreciated my generosity with my vehicle during his high school and college years, and now he was in a position to repay that generosity.

I feel extremely honored - I'm still glowing from the extra love and attention. I think you'd be hard pressed to find another mother anywhere who more enjoyed her day than did I.

I did not receive a card, Hallmark or otherwise.

I like Mother's Day; I vote to keep it. And any of you who did not treat you mothers with love and attention on her special day - well, it's not too late to make it up. :saint:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 5-19-2005 at 10:06 PM
Hello to all sisters

Keep it coming!

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 07:25 AM

Bring on the feelings of all the others
All they say from the female side
Let there be all the daughters and mothers
Let it be with no one to hide
High on a pedal it's not one to ween
But a beauty we all call a Queen
On this subject of Mothers Day
It appears we all have a say
But let it be known we'll all have to pay
Sooner or later in the month of May

by unknown
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 11:20 AM
It's hard to get your arse kicked

when all yer tryin to do is make some people think! And I'm pretty sure I made at least a thousand people think whether they agree or not. I consider this fairly unusual considering much of the audience I am dealing with on here.;)

Happy Mothers Day Wankers:lol::lol::lol:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 01:48 PM
Natalie

Nice to hear. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. THAT is what I would call the epitome of a"family value". You made my earlier posts' point.
Cards are ok as a reminder that you havent forgot them but I am afraid that too many lazy people won't kill their 6am tee-off time to spoil or other wise "be" with mom.
I would be remiss if I said If I didn't support capitalism.
I bought my wife Sees' Candy, but picked her some flowers. Since my mom died after living with us for three years I decided to honor her on this board. I never missed the Day with her unless impossible but I can't remember one. Her ashes are in the river that runs by. We had a great relationship. Now, on the other hand, what if someones mother was, shall we say, not so great. That sounds pretty crass but probably has weight when it comes to the effort and actions of the children "she" raised.

As I reviewed this thread I realized that some people were put off at the notion that capitalism plays "the" major role or somehow replaces the element of (real) love. They just cash in on Americans one way or another.

I hope that this is not the case.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.