Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Juncalito Beach Closed
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 03:24 PM
Juncalito Beach Closed

The big "public" beach at Juncalito, south of Loreto, has been closed.

We went there today to kayak and fish and a fence has been placed across the access road. We've spoken to several Juncalito residents but so far have not heard anything definitive as to who or why...just rumors.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 03:54 PM

Weird!
Keep us posted about that!

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 04:09 PM

The beginning already started. The end is coming !
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
The big "public" beach at Juncalito, south of Loreto, has been closed.

We went there today to kayak and fish and a fence has been placed across the access road.

Are you saying that vehicles AND foot traffic cannot access the beach? If you still can walk to the beach then it is NOT closed. Restricting vehicles is a good thing. It means that Mexico is finally starting to enforce the law.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 06:07 PM

Quote:

The beginning already started. The end is coming !

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

some might say the end is near! skeet/loreto?:light:

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that vehicles AND foot traffic cannot access the beach? If you still can walk to the beach then it is NOT closed. Restricting vehicles is a good thing. It means that Mexico is finally starting to enforce the law.

What I am saying is that the road to the beach is closed. It is the road that legally accessed the legal parking in the palm groves, too. I have never driven down the beach here; we have carried or carted our kayaks to the water. That's not possible here now.

I think there should be some middle ground between unrestricted driving on the beach, and so-called "walk on" access that requires kayakers, snorklers, families and others to carry their stuff over unreasonable distances across land that is not beach land. I suspect that like the situation in Nopolo, where a legal fenced public parking area is being closed, there is another agenda at play here, not an agenda of enforcing laws against driving on the beach. Otherwise, why are legal parking areas where walk-on access is practical being closed off? In both cases, we are seeing roads TO the beach, not roads ON the beach, closed.

And finally, I can't say I have much respect for laws that apparently say you can't drive to the beach, but you can build a bunch of private houses there.
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 06:14 AM

This is an issue that has been eating away at me for some time. Beach access for miles up and down the coast near Loreto is threatened. Lots have been sold shoulder to shoulder from town to "Doctor's Point". These ejido lots may be in contention, but already fences have been put up and the road "adjusted" for property lines. If it all comes together, the only access to beaches north of town will be through the washes--if they are not fenced off. The Loreto Bay developers say it is their "no vehicle" policy that allowed them to designate building lots across the access to the public beach at Nopolo. Will they allow parking on the streets? Will mom and dad and the kids and grandma be allowed to walk on the narrow sidewalks between the $250,000 townhouses with their beach chairs and grills to access the beach in front of these homes? Juncalito was closed for a short time many years ago. I fear that whoever is doing it (Fonatur?) will succeed this time. There are chalk lines on the road and a fence built at the end of the road in Ensenada Blanca. Also "private property" and "no trespassing" signs appearing. "Reliable" rumor has it Ligui is slated for development. The beach at Escondido was years ago buried by failed development. San Bruno is the subject of endless speculation and their are houses at Basilio. Now Fonatur wants to mess up Concepcion.
We saw this happen down south. Places we used to camp are now lost to golf courses and bars and parking lots.
The people who lose are the local people, who are squeezed out of their beaches, a place to cool down on a hot day, have a family gathering, dive for clams. We lose too, if we are people who need open beaches to access the sea and camp and watch the sunrise. Will we see the day when the only people on the beach are those who own houses there; safe on their clean, spotless beach hidden behind their no trespassing signs?
I guess I just had to vent. I've never been good with "progress."
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 06:46 AM

Thanks for your vent....I feel better and agree 100% with everthing you said.
Now there is talk of moving the highway so it goes around Cabo Real and some other high end resorts and for all practical purposes make the beach totally inaccessible for the local people. That really makes me angry.

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

mad.gif posted on 5-15-2005 at 07:42 AM
Nopolo

The lines are drawn in the sand...there still seems to be an driveway alongside the Camino Real to drive down to the beach "parking". There needs to be some sort of access alowed for the Service gates on the north side of the Camino Real property...
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 07:44 AM
Here is the image...

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 5-15-2005 at 07:48 AM
Watch Your Step!

If you have to walk between those $250K townhomes down to the beach..Watch the walls there is not alot of room:O
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 07:41 AM

Nice to see some progress on the houses. Last time we were there in April the numbers weren't on the houses!!!!!!!!!Now you can 'walk through the homes and find the one you bought, easier!!!!!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 11:36 AM
Dave

You really need to get out more and see what the rest of Baja besides Puerto Nuevo and Rosarito are doing. It is very different elsewhere and there are many factors involved.
For you to base your opinion of Baja based on what you have seen from your view is innacurate and does not apply to all areas.
And at the rate the beaches are being bought up and fenced down here, I would hurry if I were you!
By the way, I see cars, atvs (being used sensibly) and lots of vehicles driving on the beach here in Los Barriles. It's the only way to launch the boats.

I guess if they did what you are recommending, it would also cut down on the overfishing problem as well. Then it would just be those commercial guys and none of the sport fishermen. That would probably help eh?

Baja as many of us have known it is already a thing of the past. It's just a darn good thing that the gringos and canadians who changed it like bamboo furniiture!:light:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
And at the rate the beaches are being bought up and fenced down here, I would hurry if I were you!

Thanks for the invitation but I'd prefer to wait until all the beaches are fenced off. The way most folks disrespect the law, it would seem the only way that I could stroll the beach in peace and quiet.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Baja as many of us have known it is already a thing of the past. It's just a darn good thing that the gringos and canadians who changed it like bamboo furniiture!:light:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::cool::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.