Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Los Corrales
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 06:03 PM
cpg----

Those pictures look like Las Cuevitas wash just SW of El Barril--------is that correct? Las Cuevitas looks like the "mother of all washes", and has bluffs on the NW side of the wash that were full of wind caves. Also, lots of trees in the wash, plus very deep, soft, white granitic sand. We camped there twice, and it was a truly neat place to camp with coyotes howling, and the wind groaning in the wind caves. Lots of firewood, too. Great place, but lots of cattle lurking everywhere in 2000.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 06:03 PM

IMO Barry's got it right on the Almanac--those roads are mostly okay. I've worked professionally as a cartographer, and there's always an expectable gap between surveyors and drawing boards--particularly with roads that aren't surfaced and get very little in the way of upkeep.

Barry, would you consider El Mogote, like El Requeson, to be a tombolo, or is the connection too wide?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 06:13 PM
Lera-----

I don't think of El Magote (La Paz offshore) as being a true Tombolo unless there is evidence that an island of substance (bedrock) was once located off La Paz, and is now erroded away from view. However, El Requeson is deffinitely a Tombolo, in my opinion, and a classic one. I have never been out to El Magote---just seen it from the air, and from shore inland. El Requeson I have camped at many times, long ago-----one of my favorite places, and had good clams.

It is funny, but I actually had to run back to my Lobeck's "Geomorphology" to look up "tombolo"----I just could not remember what one was :lol:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 06:17 PM

Quote:

I am so curious now that I have to go back.

right on barry, that is the mystical allure of baja. it's a different calling for each of us but i can still relate to the sound? of your voice....

Quote:

there's always an expectable gap between surveyors and drawing boards

kinda like what a carpenter says looking at the blueprints whilst cursing the architect, no?

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 07:16 PM
Woody and Lera----

Thanks, Woody, you are so right. Anything that has to do with the Sea of Cortez, the wild inland, the native people, and the food, is of high interest to me. I even love downtown La Paz, and San Jose del Cabo, in the south, and most of the villages and towns all along the peninsula, including Santa Rosalia-----for some reason, that place fasinates me, and I am always lingering there for a few days as I pass thru (but I don't buy gas there)-----I think it is the "mining" past (and present?) that interests me the most. The west coast allure is less, to me, as I usually freeze. Heck, I even freeze in San Diego.

Lera----When I worked for BLM and the CA Desert Program in the mid-70's, we were making maps of all the existing roads in the low desert so that we would have baseline data for figuring out it roads were proliferating. I was in charge of mapping Imperial County, Riverside County, and eastern San Diego county. About a 1/3 of the way into the mapping program, the politics of it got confusing and frustrating. When the environmentalists within the Bureau (most of the folks) found out what we were doing, and that this info would be available to the public, there was tremendous internal pressure to omit many of the roads from the maps because they lead to "sensitive" areas that "they" did not want the public to find, or know about. I was furious!! To me, an ideal map "shows what is actually there"---that is the whole purpose, right?? But it was a losing battle, and what would have been the best maps ever made of the CA Desert ended up being something less than that when the bureaucrats were thru with it. Later, my (and a few others) "values" prevailed, and the second, third, and 4th addition of the maps came closer to being ideal, and that made me very happy.

The entire phylosophy of mapping is so subject to politics that it really gets discouraging. I love maps, but I hate maps that are intentionally, or carelessly, made to not be accurate, or leave things intentionally out.

OK, I got that off my chest. :lol: I am very impressed with the quality of the Baja Atlas----it ain't perfect, but it comes pretty darn close.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 07:25 PM

Barry, YOU 'DA MAN!

I like your philosophy and agree.

FYI... I loved exploring around the Imperial Valley as a kid and later when I could drive. Used to hunt for fossils and oyster shells in the Yuha Desert... Camped in the oyster shell beds or stayed at a motel in Ocotillo when the wind was fierce.

I found a matched pair of oyster shell, and an old timer in Ocotillo said that was a rare find... He had only found two matched pairs in his 80 years!

The hillside covered with those round sandstone balls was pretty wild too.

This was back in the 60's before Interstate 8 was built...

The old timer told us there used to be lot's of trees, like around the Yuha Well, but that Patton training his tank corps for North Africa in WWII knocked them down.

Painted Gorge, Fossil and Shell Canyons, boiling mud pots near the Salton Sea, lot's of great stuff in the desert!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 07:46 PM
David---

Imperial County looks to many as pretty bleak-----but as you know, there are a lot of treasures out there if you know where to look, or stumble upon them.

I was under the impression that Gen. Patton did not get further south than the Imperial Dunes, but I may be wrong. He sure tore up the desert north of the dunes-----like big time, all the way up into Riverside County, too. I did not get to the Yuha Well site until 1974, but there were no trees there then. Your matched oyster fossils are indeed rare-----in fact I don't think I have ever seen any. I camped out with my Grandma and Aunt in the other places you mentioned thruout the mid-late 40's and early '50's, including what is now the Carrizo Bad Lands Closed Area. At that time, there were demolished tanks, and ordnance all over the place, but not from Patton, it was from the US Navy. My Dad and uncles and grandparents camped out in the Carrizo Bad lands Closed area starting in about 1932 (way before it was closed). We Loved it all!!!
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 08:19 PM

Those pictures look like Las Cuevitas wash just SW of El Barril--------is that correct? Yes those are right out of el barril'

were full of wind caves.

Is this pic a wind cave?

Also, lots of trees in the wash, plus very deep, soft, white granitic sand.

Was in Las Cuevitas than to what I thought was La Fortuna
Than out of that on a new road that I thought would take us back to La Fortuna. Just did not as far as went. If you look at the track it seems we stayed west and somewhat parraled it. There was a trail heading of to the right (due west) I thought it might be the Santa Barbara turn no signs though.

We camped there twice, and it was a truly neat place to camp with coyotes howling, and the wind groaning in the wind caves. Lots of firewood, too. Great place, but lots of cattle lurking everywhere in 2000.

Lots of cattle in the begining than they were gone. Lots of Coyotes for sure and a million jackrabbits!!
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 09:57 PM

Small world, Barry--before asking the tombolo question, I looked it up in my Lobeck's Geomorphology to see if I was spelling it right.

Tombolo has always been one of my very favorite words--such a nice mellow ring to it. And I'd read about them in Lobeck and in Erwin Raisz's General Cartography for years before ever getting to see one. That one was El Requeson. I was hoping you might consider El Mogote was another--that would give me two--but when you're over there it looks like a sandspit.

Maps based on political correctness--ya got my sympathy on that! My only bad experiences were with college professors like the guy who wanted every country in the friggin' world to be overlaid with a pattern that measured its percentage of something-or-other--I forget just what--and then said, "I'd pay a student $25. How much do you want?"

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 10:09 PM

http://www.kayaker.net/php/pageloc.php?id=bajan19

This has some coastal photos of the area from 2002
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 04:57 AM
cpg-----Lera----

Those pics of Bahia San Juan Bautista are so cool that I am in awe. Now THAT is "old-Baja", the way I remember it from 50 years ago, and it was scenes like that that lured us back to Baja over and over again.

CPG----You obviously took a wonderful trip with your friends. I have provided land based "logistics" for small Kayak groups of friends of mine doing the same thing------in fact, it was doing logistics that took us into the area of Los Corralles in the first place. We restocked our kayaker's at the beach NE of Rancho San Miguel. They were kayaking from BOLA to Mulege---just two of them, and we resupplied them several times along the way (at Bahia Animas, San Rafael [fish camp], San Francisquito resort, Rancho San Miguel [fish camp], and Punta Chivato)----mostly with fresh water, companionship, and fresh water showers using our sun-showers. Such luxuary!!!!

Those particular friends have now completed the entire East Coast of Baja from Yuri Muri on the Colorado Delta, to Cabo San Lucas. They are right now, as I write, kayaking the coast of Sonora from Rocky Point to the south end of Tiburon (circumnavigating Tiburon) and landing at Bahia Kino, I think. I could not go this time because of some health problems (having some melanoma cancers removed from my back due to all that Baja sun over the years).:lol::lol:

Lera------speaking of "Tombolos"-----Punta Chivato is also a classic TOMBOLO, I believe.
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 12:55 PM

this is the new road

[Edited on 4-30-2006 by ArvadaGeorge]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 01:27 PM
Arvada George------

---that is really neat, but how do you know that? The new road appears to be the one that cpg used.

And is the "new" road in passable shape? It looks like it intersects the old road to Rancho Santa Barbara quite a ways west up the canyon (from La Fortuna canyon) on the way to R. Santa Barbara---right?? (turn left to R. San Miguel and La Fortuna canyon----turn right to R. Santa Barbara????)
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 01:56 PM

It was cut by a cat and a riding buddy road it Jan. 2006 on m/c
Sent me the the tract log
He told me the ranchers are using it.

cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 07:17 PM

That looks like were i went
compare the tracks

[Edited on 5-1-2006 by cpg]
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2006 at 07:22 PM

Yep thats the new road. I just did not go as far. Do you have the track of were the ended up?

Nice beach at the end of the road?

Here is a picture of the Tractor. It was made in gilroy ca.

It looks like the new road meets the Santa Barbara road than back to the old road.

La Fortuna most be washed out real bad to go that far out of the way. Probally Hurricane Marty

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.