BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: News from La Ventana forwarded from those that are there.
AcuDoc
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 9-24-2003 at 08:36 PM
News from La Ventana forwarded from those that are there.

Most of you that know me this is where I hang out in La Ventana. There is a number of friends that meet down there every year. Our newest members of our "campground family" that will become regulars I'm sure is Pescador and his wife Marika, they came down last year. They are bringing another first timer this year.

I was forwarded this from the campground tonight (wed.):
Just had this forwarded by campground friends Ruth and Graham, still in Canada but in contact with La Ventana. They recieved it from those already there (la ventana) that rode out the storm somewhere in the area.

The hurricane went right over us. 5-6.30 am Monday was the height of the storm with winds of 120 mph.

Many homes lost their roofs. We have no power or water and have moved back into the campsite. Not much rain so the damage to the campsite is not as bad as last one. Lots of "organic" garbage in campsite.

First thing Gary and Nancy got going was the TV. First thing Bill and Yen tried to get going was the phone. Phone service just was restored at 7pm Wed.

all for now

Bonny and Johnny,Gary and Nancy,Bill and Yen

More emails from Ruth earlier today:
As far as we know he should have been there, but we have not had word since he left the gorge almost 2 weeks ago. Terry did get another report from the area. A friend lives near her house in El Sargento and the phone was working for awhile. He reports lots of damage in the area. Roofs blown off houses, trailers overturned, electricity and water out of course. No other specifics. And so far no mention of injuries. It does sound very messy.
Gary and the gang should have some interesting stories to tell. I'll let you know if we hear anything more.

A friend forwarded an email from Terry - of Mike and Terry. They have a house out past El Sargento. No news coming from that area yet, but they did contact people in La Paz who said it was the worst storm he has experienced in a very long time. She also mentioned that dengue cases are increasing - now over 2000 - so she reports. And you need to take lots of bug repellent with you because you can't buy it there

easily. Bring extra and share it around. I'll let you know if I hear more....ruth

Hi - not much news today. But I gather there is alot of damage in the area. reports from Los Bariles that cell service is down so that is probably why we are not hearing anything from our freinds in La Ventana as well. I guess the land-line phone works intermittently.

Highway is closed so I guess we will just wait at home a few more days and see what we hear. Any word from Baja Joe's?...ruth

This from Angie at Baja Joes (windsurf outfitter in La Ventana):
Hi Yes we are all OK, it was bad, worse than Juliette. Many homes were damaged, but everyone is fine in La Ventana and El Sargento. Gary, Nancy, Johnnie, Bonnie are here, hada bad night, but are back in the campground adn set up. The degue is in La Paz, so far no mosquitos in La Ventana, but lots of water so they could get here too. We are without power and phone, so emailing is another trip to La Paz, and I want to keep it to a minimum. We?ll be seeing you soon! We may have to have your mom stay in #1 instaed of the upstairs, some tiles came off that roof, but you can help decide once you?re here. Angie

That's it for now. I'll update as I get the word passed to me. Still planning on arriving in La Ventana on the 14th. -acudoc
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 05:56 PM

More news from La Ventana and Baja Joes today:
HI, The road from here to La Paz, is drivable, 4WD isn't needed, but it is washed out in several places, so take it easy and be careful. I've heard that the road is closed between Loreto and La Paz, no idea when it will open again. I think there will be damage to the highway all the way down the peninsula. ~Angie

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.