BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Canyons outside Loreto?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-26-2005 at 11:28 PM

More Jide photos: http://vivabaja.com/jide (Sierra Juarez canyons Tajo and Carrizo)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 08:25 AM
Its all Ficus

All of the figs are classed under Ficus. As the Sunset Garden Book says, that includes the commercial edible fig, the small-leafed climbing fig, the banyan tree and the potted rubber plant -- they're all classed together because they all bear figs of some size.

Sunset describes a bunch of them, including Creeping Fig, which has extremely invasive roots. It notes that some Rustyleaf Figs (I'm citing all common names here) can develop "hanging aerial roots that characterize many of the evergreen figs in tropical environments," but doesn't seem to specifically describe the trees you guys have seen. Someone must have a book on Baja ficus. I bet they're in Roadside Biology. Got to pick me up one of those.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 09:39 AM
Zalate

or Higuera is what they are called down here. They do produce figs and they are in a number of areas.
The canyon leading to San Javier has a great pool just down from the mission and you will be hiking a most interesting part of Baja history. If you happen to go there, Francisca, the mission caretaker loves flower seeds.:light:
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 11:59 AM

Thanks, JR. What kind of seeds are most appropriate for Baja?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 01:40 PM
Higuera

Yeah, I found it in the 'Baja California Plant Field Guide'.

Apparently it has some great medicinal purposes:

"Tea from the leaves and branchlets is used on mules and cattle as an antidote for rattlesnake bite. A wash is used to treat cuts and infections...."

It survives the dryness by (1) storing water in it's massive trunk (like the torote) (2) dropping it's leaves during drought.

Still, it must get to be over 120 on those cliffs in St Javier canyon at times. It's amazing any deciduous tree can handle that.
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 01:52 PM

All of those plants are amazing. You sure it's deciduous, though? I don't think dropping its leaves when it's parched counts. And Sunset made that reference to evergreen ficus.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 02:50 PM

If you zoom in and follow that dirt road you see leading west it seems to connect with the Comondu' road is this possible?

[url][url]http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=25.998459,-111.372013&spn=0.052185,0.076904&t=k&hl=en[/url][/url]

[Edited on 5-27-2005 by Sharksbaja]
richard nauman
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 03:21 PM

Yes you can get over the top. I didn't think the road was to bad when I went over it last summer. But it kind of depends on what you like. It was rocky and bumpy with one steep set of switchbacks that was particularly rough. Slow going the whole way but my truck has very stiff suspension. I never came close to needing 4 wheel drive.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-27-2005 at 03:24 PM

Gracias. Now off to work
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.