BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Should We Canel our Plans for Mulege and Bahia de Conception?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 07:22 PM
Should We Canel our Plans for Mulege and Bahia de Conception?

Well I guess Marty is what happens when you procrastinate over the years. Finally made plans to take my family on our first ever trip to Baja. Plans are to tent camp on the Bahia de Conception over the Thanksgiving week. Now Marty has hit and it sounds like things are pretty messed up down there. Should we cancel our plans or go for it anyway?

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 08:02 PM
Camping in Baja

It depends on a couple minor details. Do you know how to set up your tent? Have you camped with the same camping equipment elsewhere ? Do you speak any Spanish (not that it matters too much), and what do you want to do?
By Thanksgiving, everything will be mostly back to normal. At least the Concepcion Bay area. Mulege it appears will be rebuilding for a while but by then, I am sure the stores/restaurants will be open.
One of the best things about Baja is a sense of adventure which it always is in one way or another. It's just a matter of being as prepared as possible, paying attention and expecting anything to happen.
Don't cancel your plans unless they have another storm. Then, things could get really ugly! There are many parts of Baja.
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 09:15 PM

I've been a camper and a backbacker for the vast majority of my life. As stated above be sure you set up your tent at home before you leave so you know for sure how to do so. Same with any new equiptment you aren't familiar with. Like I said even though I've been doing this my whole life I bought a new tent a couple years ago and the first thing I did before I left was to set it up. Remember the rainfly. Make sure you know how to use it so you are not standing in a rainstrom trying to figure it out and wondering why it was raining as there were no clouds earlier in the day.
Also I have a great system on not forgetting anything. MAKE A LIST!
I do mine by room. Example: House - tent, rainfly, stakes, hatchet (for putting in stakes), groundcloth, poles; Bedroom - areobed w/charged pump, sheet, sleeping bag, pillow, alarm clock (a must for fisherman) and so on for each "room", then for truck and boat.
Then I start to pack. On the list I mark next to each item. "H" have, "N" need", "P" packed (in clear box etc.) and "L" loaded (when put in truck). I've never had a problem and over time you will edit the list as you become more familiar what you "really" need and what you can do without.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 09:39 PM

Things really sound bad when the storm first hits but except for some lowlying areas, things get rebuilt to some degree very quickly. By Thanksgiving, you should be in great shape. It is a land of adventure and you never really know what is going to happen to you. Go with a spirit of adventure and then everything is an experience. Baja is more a state of mind than just a geographical area. Explore and find out what works for you and your family. There are places that some people rave about in Concepcion Bay that I wouldn't want to spend over 10 minutes, but they probably don't like the places that have become very special to me.
A lot of us have followed the devastation of the storm but are still heading out next week and plan to go all the way south to La Paz. We did the same thing right after Juliette and it added to the experience. It is awesome to see the power of rushing water and to find whole bridges and sections of roads that were literally washed away. But, the flowers and plants were the most beautiful that we had seen in years. And hiking to the cave paintings we saw water and waterfalls that had not been seen for years.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 11:09 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I should have made it clear that I have camping and backpacking all my life. Same for my family. Just no experience in Baja.

Pescador, would you mind sharing the places in Concepcion that you like and the ones you dont care for any the reasons? You can email me direct at dkmcdermott@hotmail.com

Again thanks to all.
AcuDoc
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 9-25-2003 at 11:44 PM

Sounds like you are in great shape then. We all had our first time to Baja and hope your experience is the same of all of us that love Baja.
Pescador is right Baja is a state of mind. We've know each other for some time and will be camping and fishing together again this year below La Paz.
You'll also met some great people like him and his wife Marika during your Baja adventures. Wishing you and the family a great experience.

Jim- I'll see you in LV on the 14th. Looks like you are leaving a few days before me.:cool:
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 11:56 PM
Anonymous

NO! you should not cancel. Part of the wonder of Baja California and Baja California Sur is the way the land and society work when things aren't perfect.

If additional storms are experienced in late november, it would be cause for concern, but otherwise just go. The road is imperfect and narrow, the gas stations are distant, the places on you map that look like cities are not even towns or villages, they are (sometimes abandoned) ranchos.

But you will undoubtedly experience a social warmth you seldom encounter elsewhere, an easy caring coming from others because the folks don't have too much on their plate.

By November the roads will be passable (notwithstanding another set of bad weather) and you will be fine. Go for it!
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 05:37 AM

I agree with the advice not to cancel. Several things to keep in mind, also, be certain to obtain Mexican auto insurance no matter what your insurance agent may tell you - you can get that at the border, just before crossing into Baja. Also visas will be needed. Don't avoid some side trips to places you see on the maps, just remember to keep you gas tank topped off whenever possible. Converting some of your cash to pesos (also at the border when you get your insurance) will help to ease any possible confusion as to the exchange rate at gas stations, or when you buy gasoline alongside the road, from enterprising locals using their 55 gallon drums. The main highway gets a bit narrower as you make your way south, go slow, enjoy the journey as much as you will Bahia Concepcion.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 06:01 AM

Just go....

LIfe is too short.

You will have a great time.

We are going in a couple of weeks just for the weekend to take pictures.

Have a GREAT time.
Weather will be great.

Susan :D

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 07:17 AM

As for places on Concepcion bay. We really like ensanada which is right by Posada. When you turn in to Ecomundo which is the place where they rent sea Kayaks or take people on trips, you stay on the road, go over the hill and come to the little palapas on the bay. It is one of the quitest places we have stayed there. Santispac is OK but I think they get a lot of noise from the road and every truck with a jake brake in Mexico really blasts everyone on the corner. Still, it is pretty.
Coyote is nice if you can get one of the nicer palapas on the beach. And Requeson is very nice.
Again, look at all of those and you decide.
There is an abandoned campground at the south end of Conception but I would avoid going there. Too much wave action in the winter and there have been a lot of thefts there in the past.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 09:00 AM

by all means go!one of the best trips i ever had to baja was when a hurricane was spinning real close to the pacific coast-places were being evacuated and the general consensus was-don't go!- well we went anyway.Got stuck at 1:30 am on a dirt road in the middle of zilch-pounding rain, radical winds.after 2 days all cleared and we ended up with perfect weather , beautiful water, great fishing and dreamlike surf.(turned out we were in the main path of the chubasco-minor damage but tons of fun!)
Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 10:02 AM

I'm beginning to think that you must be either a great adventurer or half-cracked to appreciate the beauty of Baja.

I have been known to possess both qualities. Hope to see you there!

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 02:29 PM
hey Family guy.......i can't decide which i like best

- hamburger helper WITH the hamburger, or just plain without it added!!

luv that avatar amigo! stop over when in mulege...... we serve it mostly with!

[Edited on 9-26-2003 by capt. mike]

[Edited on 9-26-2003 by capt. mike]

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 02:33 PM
oh. forgot to add this picture so you can find us....

i'm the fat one.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 03:07 PM

definately with the hamburger...:yes:

come hell or high water I'll make a point of looking you up. current plan is to arrive in Mulege 12/22 for a week. I don't want to show up emty handed, so let me know your poison. I like to spread the holiday cheer. :biggrin:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 04:20 PM

Hey Mike, are you at Posada or Santispac?
Seems I remember from some of your old posts that you had moved the trailer to Santispac. Maybe that's why I never saw the Jolly Roger flying (like looking in all the wrong places)
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 10:51 AM
His trailer is at the Serenidad Hotel

unless he's moved it since I was there in July.......(he's 'imaginary' anyway) :lol:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 10:54 AM
PS, and a Wino, just like me!

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 12:06 PM
WINE YOU SAY !

I wonder if I'll fit in, you know I was a New York City Firefighter.....and we're quite partial to tea and crumpets in the afternoons......shall I join you, perhaps?

Capt. George

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.