Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I finally had to file an insurance claim
richard nauman
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-25-2005 at 11:31 AM
I finally had to file an insurance claim

I recently had my first experience filing a claim with my Mexican car insurance purchased through Lewis and Lewis. While backing up my truck in Loreto I hit a parked car causing minor but visable damage. I found the owner and made a call to the toll free number on the insurance papers. THe phone was answered immediately and I told the person what happened. They sent an adjuster from La Paz who arrived about 5 hours later and found me at my hotel. He took a bunch of pictures with the smallest digital camera I had ever seen and we filled out a few forms. Speaking Spanish made things much easier but everyone I delt with spoke good English. The adjuster said he would take care of things and the cars owner seemed OK with everything and we went on our way. No problems. Well worth every penny of the $150/year I spend on my policy.
RN
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-25-2005 at 02:51 PM
I think I would wait a little longer......

.....before declaring this a successful insurance claim. Getting the adjuster there is rarely the hard part.

Let us know how the payment process turns out. What is your deductible?
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 5-25-2005 at 03:12 PM
ya going to jail dude!

Quote:
Originally posted by richard nauman
I recently had my first experience filing a claim with my Mexican car insurance purchased through Lewis and Lewis. While backing up my truck in Loreto I hit a parked car causing minor but visable damage. I found the owner and made a call to the toll free number on the insurance papers. THe phone was answered immediately and I told the person what happened. They sent an adjuster from La Paz who arrived about 5 hours later and found me at my hotel. He took a bunch of pictures with the smallest digital camera I had ever seen and we filled out a few forms. Speaking Spanish made things much easier but everyone I delt with spoke good English. The adjuster said he would take care of things and the cars owner seemed OK with everything and we went on our way. No problems. Well worth every penny of the $150/year I spend on my policy.
RN

Just kidding! Hey...what type of coverage and type of car you have? Seems to be a decent rate, and decent service....that caught my reading eye. Glad all went well for you. I hear the beans are great...in the jail:lol:
richard nauman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2005 at 09:14 AM

I guess I left out an important detail. I drive a 1990 3/4 ton 4x4 dodge truck with a big heavy duty rear bumper. I backed into the car so my truck was not damaged - not even a scratch in the paint. The car I hit was one of those tiny new things you see in Mexico - it didn't take much to hurt it. So all I needed from the insurance company was to take care of the guy whose car I hit. Since he seemed happy with things and I didn't need anything from them so I'm declaring it a sucessful claim.

The exciting part was that a Ministerial Policia was driving down the street when it happened. He jumped out of his truck smiling and pointing to his eye saying "Lo vi, Lo vi!" - I thought I was going to get screwed but he stuck around to make sure I contacted the owner and then went on his way. Not a bad deal at all.

YankeeIrishman - I buy my insurance through Lewis and Lewis and have full coverage. I think it cost about $156/year last time I paid it. My truck isn't worth very much so it helps keep the cost down.
RN
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-26-2005 at 01:05 PM
You know what I'm wondering......

When you are involved in an accident where there is damage to another's property (car or otherwise), what physical evidence are you left with from the incident that offers proof that you got your insurance company involved?

Does the adjuster provide you with any paperwork stating that you kept your legal obligation?

Did the police officer provide you with a copy of any kind of report?

I guess I'm wondering what's to stop an unscrupulous person from claiming that you (or the insurance company) never took care of the incident to try and get more money out of you. It could conceiveably affect you ability to leave the country.

I'd sure like to have something that says I took care of the claim in a country with no real computerized database operated by the police.
richard nauman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2005 at 01:35 PM

Hook good point. I thought of this when the adjuster was there and used my digital camera to take a picture of the completed claim form. The cop in this case didn't make any report and left as soon as I found the cars owner.
RN
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2005 at 05:31 PM

The policeman on the scene that fills out a report (in this case they didn't) will have you read and sign his report then he will give you a copy. If you don't read spanish you would be best advised to get someone who does to read it for you before signing. The adjuster may or may not give you a copy of his report depending on the damage, the estimate may need further checking . However the insurance office will let you know, always find out where the adjuster will send his report. Usually it's the office you first contacted. In this case the person at the toll free number can tell you.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.