Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Calamajue?
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 5-28-2005 at 03:00 PM
Calamajue?

Question for Cortez fisherfolk....

Have a five day window next week but (predictably) none of my surf buddies can do the trip. I've managed to convince a non-surfing friend, a fisherman (rookie) to come along on the promise of a few days on the Gulf side.

We're gunning for Canoas first nite and will be there for a few days after which I'm gonna make the cross. Hoping for solitude and beach casting, I'm thinking San Rafael or Calamajue, neither of which I've done yet.

Any thoughts? I've heard so much about the mythical Coco's Corner that I'm leaning towards Cala but know jack squat about the place save what I've read in the Baja Catch....good camping? Empty? Gas?

Any advice appreciated.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 5-28-2005 at 04:19 PM

Coco's Corner is a great ol man sitting in the middle of the dessert with his stories and soda for sale. Not much else at all. I am not sure it?s worth the road trip to his place. Outside of San Felipe (26 miles to the point!) the highway becomes potted, clumpy and dumpy, and washboard to the MAX. Gonzaga Bay is a good day?s drive and you?ll be tired by the time you get there. Coco's Corner is another few hours up the most hardship road yet. Gonzaga Bay is great, the Restaurant there is great, the motel there is unpredictable if the old man is they are having a bad hair day or just plain don?t like ya (but others here will say it?s great, follow their advice). Camping is great there too. See the little store for details to the camp. BOLA is some five hours away at this point. Oh?never had problem getting at Gonzaga Bay. Fishing is good in that Bay BTW See the http for spear fishing pics http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=17918

[Edited on 5-28-2005 by yankeeirishman]

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2005 at 09:14 PM

If you want your friend to still be your friend after this trip pass on that trip to coco's ect.....too rough in my opinion for what you get.....unless you want that.....head down to BOLA with the rookie and you will both be happy.....why CANOAS at this time of year?....still waves there or is it just a good place to go even without surfing?....
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 06:14 AM
Calamajue

If I were heading to Calamajue to fish I certainly wouldn't go via San Felipe and Gonzaga! Way too slow and tedious for too many miles! Highway 1 to the turn near the top of Laguna Chapala, 13 or so miles to Coco's Corner, than another 22 miles or so to Calamajue would be the most sensible route.

I don't fish, and have never been to Calamajue but if you do go, be certain you have topped off your gasoline at Catavina (if you take the route I described). I cannot tell you a thing about Punta Calamajue except that I cannot recall hearing about it as a destination on this board. I did a "search" and didn't read anything about it either.

Graham McIntosh's book, Into A Desert Place, mentions it briefly as he passed through on his walk, and soon was greeted warmly by folks living there.

I would venture a guess that you could make the drive from Highway 1 to Punta Calamajue in 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

Coco's? I am certainly on the side that says that you ought to stop and chat, and take a look at this most unusual place. He's unique, friendly, and might know something about fishing at Calamajue.

Bay of Los Angeles? We spent two days there recently. A nice destination and pretty popular, though it is beginning to get warm.

John M.
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 06:44 AM
last season Canoas...

Jim, re: Canoas in June....wouldn't normally do it but we've had some very late season NW swells and look to be getting one final burst next week. Nothing dramatic but that place sticks pretty far out and should be head high. Canoas does actually get a south if there's ample west in it...but breaks a little strangely and not entirely worth it.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 07:49 AM
Calamajue

Calamajue has pretty good fishing from a boat but very limited shoreline access due to the nature of the shoreline. There is a small cove that has good camping and is enclosed by high cliffs that drop vertically to the sea below. You can fish the small cove well but you won't be able to climb past it's walls. San Raphael has far better shore access.

skipjack
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 02:09 PM
if you love the baja desert

and the sea of cortez go to calamajue....i went their and do not regret it at all,the fishing was great and the place was awesome,lots of wildlife!!! yes,the road is rough but pretty much any vehicle can handle if you take it easy....oh and dont let coco scare you when he says theres a bunch of snakes there,we didnt see any but we did get swarmed by a whole bunch of bee's:tumble::tumble::tumble:
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 10:21 PM

Saw the prediction for that late swell....but in JUNE?....hard to believe....also saw something for next weekend from SW that has cuatro casas in its sight....good timing as it comes after the BAJA 500 race....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2005 at 11:20 PM
I guess I'm eating dirt on this one.

Quote:
Originally posted by eetdrt88
...the fishing was great and the place was awesome...

As I mentioned in an earlier post.

The shore fishing isn't that great at Calamajue.
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2005 at 07:41 AM
same place

different perspective...

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2005 at 09:29 AM
see thoe rocks down the way

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

in joes picture,we went down there and cast off of those,even my 5year old daughter was catching fish....of course they were mostly triggers and sandbass which you can get pretty much anywhere in the cortez,but there sure was alot of them
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2005 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:

in joes picture,we went down there and cast off of those,even my 5year old daughter was catching fish....of course they were mostly triggers and sandbass which you can get pretty much anywhere in the cortez,but there sure was alot of them

See those splashes further down. Those are roosterfish smashing mullet. I didn't catch any. It was infrequent but I was lucky enough to be shooting when they struck.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.