BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Las Ma?anitas tocadas con tambores africano
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 5-31-2005 at 05:26 PM
Las Ma?anitas tocadas con tambores africano

Another Sarah, one of Armando's art student's, had invited Armando, Xochitl, and I to her birthday party.

A few nights before as we ate our evening tacos, we discussed, what would be an appropriate gift for Armando to give her. Sarah will be going back to the states soon, so it would need to be a small expression of his great esteem that wouldn't cost a whole lot.

In walk a couple fine young Mexican hippies straight out of the hills of San Jose del Pacifico carrying African drums. As they play Armando has a completely absurd unique vision of hiring them to come to the party and serenade Sara "Las Mananitas" with their African drums.

When the boys finish and collect their tips from our table, Armando makes the contract and it is settled, they will play for our friend.

Well, I figure this has got to be so out there silly and ridiculously absurd that I am finally going to make it thru a rendition of Las Mananitas with out tears, ( that is something that in my life time has never occurred, I am a wash when it comes to this song).

So, the evening comes, the boys play, and it sounds great, hugely fun, these guys were way cool, and played with heart. Everyone at the party agreed, "Las Mananitas" work even accompanied by African drum. And o.k., I must admit, yes a few tears did escape. I am such a sucker for that song, ni modo. Hum, wonder if next time we try it on a "jews harp??

[Edited on 6-1-2005 by Eli]

[Edited on 6-1-2005 by Eli]
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-31-2005 at 05:30 PM

nice story thanks Eli .

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 05:01 PM
Sara

Jews harp con Tequila will work rather well. But, I think I would prefer the drums. Neat story.

[Edited on 6-3-2005 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 10:26 PM

Just the sound of our Saras words..I so love how she takes me away to another place .Gracias Mi Hermana
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 10:38 PM

Eli, are you aware of Jimmy's property in Belize?? U2U if you need
Capt. George
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 10:56 PM
Wonderful story

I can hear the music in my mind because you described it so well.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 11:37 PM

Our two sons, The oldest, Miguelito, and the youngest, Kevin, both play drums. Miguelito plays a dumbek, an African version of a deeply reverberating conga drum. He takes it everywhere and it serves to either annoy or entertain others as they wish.

So many of us are deeply moved by music. I would rather loose my sight than my hearing and the reception of warm melodies leading my mind down secret paths to unknown destinations.

I hope all is well with you. It sounds like you're back on the mainland. I'm looking forward to more of your posts, as always. I'm sure we all are.

Write on!

Amigo Miguel
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 06:45 AM

Thank you, Sara. To me, your posts always read as if you are speaking.
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 09:20 AM

Bruce, Bernie, Sally, Santiago and Jan, I do thank you for your encourgement, I have been feeling drier than dry word wise as of late. And yes, Santiago, I do write in exactly the same form as I speak.

There was so much more I wanted to say about those boys out of San Jose, but, all I can come up with right now is the sketchiest of descriptions. I did spend that evening studying them, reflecting on my own past in those same hills, who I was, who I have become, who they are, who will they be when they are my age. Anyway, their presence does give me hope for the future of the "Movement", it truly was not all for naught, they carry the banner of "peace and LOve and we are all One" high and with pride.

Same as Don Miguels, Miguelito; I have a feeling I would really like that Kid, anyone that carries a dumbek and plays his days away as got to be inspired.

Shalom, Sara
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 01:03 PM

Eli,

From multiple threads:

Forget your spelling, as it really doesn?t matter. Mine sucks too but MicroSoft Word helps me learn.

Your stories touch the heart and are filled with truth and reflections of a truly caring person.

We have, in our house, a deaf and neutered male cat. Because we live in an area with coyotes, he can?t go outside. Our youngest son, Kevin, has set a standard of taking the cat, Snarf, out periodically, while watching him, making sure he?s safe and enjoying his new experiences.

This morning, after a late night of drinking too much and writing too long, I took Snarf out of doors and placed him amongst the early summer plants and shrubs in our orchard. He immediately rolled, I assumed to camouflage his scent, and then thoroughly enjoyed slinking between ferns and bushes, felt them brushing against him and working his nose into the light breeze filled with essences unfamiliar to him and provoking unknown interests. Son Kevin set this banner with Snarf for the rest of our family to follow.

Your writing is pure and deep. You are an inspiration that keeps me wanting more, and more. When I read your words I think of my cat, experiencing something new for a first time. I think of the words I form into sentences, into concepts that others will read to build thoughts of their own, to internalize an intimate moment.

Spelling of a word isn?t important. Purity of thought is. You are the inspiration. You provoke thought and awaken us to new issues like a rising sun. This is not flattery, its fact and I honestly hope you know that. Your stories cut through all the guff to the core of heart. Write on!
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 05:28 PM

Gosh Mike, now what do I say; I guess thanks is in order while I think of something worth sharing.

Capt. geroge, Your comment left me wondering, I barly remember Dad's stories about the property from when I was a kid, but figure it is as long lost as his stories about it. I did u2u, don't know if you got it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.