Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Amigos, Familia, Hurricanes, Baja
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 08:47 PM
Amigos, Familia, Hurricanes, Baja

Thrice I have been to Baja this past summer. All three times I was called back before plans had called for. My father is ill. In and out of the hospital we go.

I watch a video of him and I, us, in Bahia de Los Angeles. He was 66 then robust, 73 now and invalid. He had never been past Ensenada. Larry and Raquel had just finished their first house. They let us stay there, amigos, and use their boat to fish from, amigos. I had no fishing gear, but Larry lent me his which had been mine at one time. Larry kindly bought all my fishing gear because I had run into hard times keeping my farm going in Valle de Guadalupe. Amigos!

On Larry's boat we caught dorado, cabrilla, yellowtail and navigated with acres of common dolphins splashing all around us. My father, a navy veteran, of the generation who knew only of the depression and war, was at the helm. These moments I preserved on video. It is priceless! Familia!

I remember the Amigos board. I remember GeoRocks post of her father and his passing. Where is GeoRock?

When I was in school during the early 70's I had a teacher, Dr. Ditmer, plant pathology, at Cal Poly Pomona.

At the time a group of Baja lovers had a ranch in Todos Santos which they had leased and planted, circa 1960's. The location had tropical weather, sweet well water and good dirt. Then, Todos Santos was paradise revisited! My first road trip there was in 1972 and it was still paradise.

They selected the best known varities of marketable fruits and vegetables for the area and were determined to show the locals how they could ride the green revolution to better times.

There was no Fonatur or Grand Resort plan for Cabo, just a pier, a few fly in resorts. They were not laundering drug money. Weather forecasting was in it's infancy.

The plan failed, the crops were destroyed, many attempts over and over again, in catastrophic hurricane events. Dirt was moved and rearranged without regard to human plans.

Ignorance is an excuse, blame a game. Hurricanes are the equation.

The loss of human life is tragic. The loss of things is not.

Baja helps me understand that.
I look forward to the greening of the Sonoran Desert almost as much as I dread burying my dad.

Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 09:04 PM

beauty, joy, laughter, pain, sorrow...my heart goes out to you amigo.

thanks for sharing....
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 09:35 PM

We live in such a wonderful area, no wars, no starvation, no terror, we are all so lucky to be able to enjoy our Baja, and specially the people we enjoy it with, Baja is nothing without those people, those that make our visits and stays such a wonderful and amazing adventure.

We are so lucky, lets enjoy the time we have, and lets take a real good look at the people who are at our side tonight, we take them for granted, but without them, our life could never be as rewarding and happy.

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 09:37 PM
Our days in the sun

are too limited, but you have memories that will pull your father forward.

Mary Ann has been e-mailing with Georock and has told her about the BajaNomad pages so I hope we'll hear from her here soon.

I'm sorry about your father. Your post was heartfelt and touching.
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 09:53 PM

Mike, I am gratefull for your ruminations..... glad that they have made their way to this board.......and lucky that I am here to once again cross paths with them.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 04:56 AM
THE MAGIC OF BAJA

What a wondrous place, a place of peace and friendship. It also seems to be a place of healing. I lost my wife of thirty two years, we met in our early teens, nothing could compare to the pain and anguish of that loss.

I first went to Baja this past spring, it was the first time I had felt a sense of peace since losing my wife. How quickly Baja got into me, I've been to many beautiful places and have been captured by them but none of those places had the special feeling we all get from Baja.

The people who have befriended one another on this site is a result of Baja...a certain heartfelt intensity that we just don't see in our everyday lives.

I will be coming to Baja with my new partner, Deborah and together we will look for new beginnings in Baja. We thank Baja and we thank you all for sharing your very special thoughts.

Capt. George & Deborah
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 08:53 AM
life

Beautiful Don Jorge, Thanks for sharing a special piece of your life with us.k
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 10:52 AM
prayers

My prayers for you and yours, Don Jorge. The difficult part of death lies with those of us left behind. May your wonderful memories help carry you through these difficult times.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

wink.gif posted on 9-28-2003 at 12:07 PM

Dear Capt. George, I wish you and your wife Deborah a wonderful new beginning on the magic peninsula of Baja California!:yes:

[Edited on 9-28-2003 by David K]

[Edited on 9-28-2003 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 12:11 PM
BAJA AMIGOS

Thanks David K, we hope to share those times with you all..............

See you in Loreto!

George
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 9-30-2003 at 12:16 AM

I received the message, and am here now. Thanks.

Don Jorge, the moments of our lives pass so quickly. Yet every once in awhile, amidst the hustle of living, there passes a moment that touches our hearts and imprints our minds. I hope that you have many of those moments with your father. May God bless you and your dad in these trying days.

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.