Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Follow up to Pelicans
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2005 at 06:20 AM
Follow up to Pelicans

Keeping My Cool

They're big, black, ugly and they're up there every day. Zopilotes, Turkey Vultures. Also called Buzzards they are almost three feet long, six feet of broad black wings, weigh about four pounds. As I lie comfortably in a lounge chair, Bloody Mary in hand, composing articles and stories for magazines and the press, I can enjoy them, just overhead. I have always admired the birds, envied their aerial elegance, the exquisite freedom flight accords them, a freedom I can never know. From time to time I have used the birds to color my stories about this part of Mexico. So far my descriptions of the birds in flight have been impossibly bland, add little to the stories -- "the big, black birds wheeling, gliding on the thermals, etc.,etc.....". Better to leave them out than to paint such a colorless scene. Fellow writers have failed to capture the majesty of the creatures --"they wheel, soar, glide -- hover, hang like big kites...ya da, ya da, ya da...." I need to really watch them awhile; get to know them, pay attention, find the words that may bring them to life, paint them against the sky with the same grandeur we lavish on the their cousins, the eagles.
If I tilt my lounge chair back a little I can watch them without moving a muscle. Today several birds are aloft just above my patio, the wind is strong and gusty; a good day for observation. Now that I pay the proper attention I can see why the words fail. They are not just soaring, wheeling; they are in constant motion. This wind is not a steady flow of cool air rushing from the beach, up this little bluff to my house. It is not a stream of air, rather, it is great puffs; pulsing, softly now, a powerful gust, soft again, little short bursts, more gusts, a shoulder against an invisible door. The birds are not possessed of a special kind of vision, some precognitive way to see the wind, anticipate the wind's wild vacillations, changes taking place in tiny parts of seconds; all the birds' moves are adjustments--made at lightning speed, each subtle movement of muscle, bone and feather in wondrous harmony.

These birds are not flying. Flying is flapping wings to propel the bird forward. Each vulture is making adjustments at incredible speed -- the result allows the bird to stay aloft, in the same general area, without burning precious calories needed for great flapping movements of the wings. As the wind gusts and wanes they fold the wrist of the wing, spread their primaries at the wing tips, fold and lower the broad tail feathers, smooth the small coverts -- constantly rearranging the surfaces touched by the wind. At times they roll their bodies, tip both wings to decrease the lift; in this attitude they slip downward and to the side, take up a new station a short distance away at the same height.
Now I can begin to understand what they are doing. The new and bigger question is "Why in the hell are they doing it?" The second Bloody Mary helps me get closer. I let my mind and body drift aloft, enter the spirit of the black weavers. I imagine being buffeted by the wind gusts. I tighten my small shrunken thumb, slightly folding a wing as the wind abates. Tiny muscles are now moving my wingtip primary feathers to stabilize my horizontal attitude.
A breakthrough, a revelation. The big birds are using no more energy to make these miraculous adjustments than I do when I turn slightly in my chair, toward the beach, to see a passing boat. Now some eduction is called for: these birds, just above my head, have been in the air all morning. Since they have sharp eyes and an uncanny sense of smell (they can smell carrion from hundreds of feet in the air to a radius of five miles) they would have discovered anything edible on the ground after the first few minutes. If we rule out this stationary routine as a part of mating, it can only mean that the birds are up in the wind to regulate their body temperature and to conserve energy/calories. They eat on the average of two to three times per month. It may be that they use less energy aloft, on the wind, than when at rest, roosting on the ground or on a cactus. On cold, wet mornings I have seen them stretch their broad wings to catch the morning sun -- the same birds hold this Kodak Moment pose, let the breeze dissipate the heat from their wings on July and August afternoons.
All this study has heated me up. I put down my glass, walked to the outdoor shower for a cool change of pace, walked cool and dripping back to the lounge, resumed my studies. Now things are taking a very different perspective -- these birds were roosting, sensed the wind, HAD to go aloft to conserve energy for as long as possible; to live another day to hunt for scarce roadkill. It's like they have a job. They dare not stay on the ground, on the roost if there is an opportunity to conserve energy or body fat -- their lives depend on their being able to use the wind whenever and wherever possible. This grand freedom I have so envied turns out to be a life-or-death injunction, not a flight of fancy.

Two of the beasts are now hovering very low, close to my position. They are c-cking their ugly, red heads to get a better look -- the eyes have a nasty leer -- curiosity? Did we, however briefly, trade places? While my mind's eye floated with them, did they sense, if only for seconds, my mystical intrusion, drop down to enter my cooler world? Could it now be envy?
I'll make sure tomorrow. I may bring out a little bucket of ice, make some more Bloody Mary's --- this time with real blood.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-18-2005 at 06:58 AM

wow another nice story Osprey I sure do enjoy reading your stuff. I wish I could write like you. I think every one has many stores locked inside but only a few have the natural talent to put it down on paper . so others can enjoy it.

you have the talent Osprey. and so do some of the other Nomads. that is what really makes this place good.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

HotSchott
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2005 at 09:29 AM

Man,

It is so NICE to read someone with more than 12 words in their vocabulary that isn't ranting about some personal bent or smoking too much bamboo. This is the stuff I remember when I started reading Amigos several years ago...the stuff that makes you want to be in Baja.

It takes time to craft interesting material about meaningful perspectives - and it takes a perspective. I seem to have more of what I want these days and ironically less time to enjoy it - a global dilema I suspect.

Osprey - thanks for wasting your time crafting for us something worth reading. I often wonder about stuff I think and observe in Baja. It is a place filled with intensely interesting insignificant details waiting for someone with the time to describe them.

$$
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2005 at 02:35 PM

Great stuff, but easier to read if you'd make paragraphs shorter.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2005 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
Great stuff, but easier to read if you'd make paragraphs shorter.

Lera

Mom always said:

If you can't say something nice...

Unfortunately, I never listened.:P

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2005 at 04:26 AM
Vultures

Vultues, commonly known as buzzards, however, play an important role in the ecology disposing of carion. Also keep in mind the great efforts expended to preserve the California Condor, a cousin of the garden variety vultures, which I agree are ugly. I recall being on the road from Sucre to Tarabuco in Bolivia at about 10,000 feet elevation, and seeing Condors flying at an even higher elevation.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2005 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by academicanarchist
....the garden variety vultures, which I agree are ugly.

Ugly? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.