Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scorpion Sting -QUICK!
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 10:22 PM
Scorpion Sting -QUICK!

Nailed in my kitchen at 1020 tonight on bare foot. So. Cal Brown Scorpion about 2" long. Books say all S. bites are an emergency but I don't think so. ANY ADVICE?

[Edited on 9-29-2003 by Mike Humfreville]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 10:36 PM

Wash bite with soap and water and remove all jewelry.

Apply cool compresses.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) 1-2 tablets every 4 hours may be given for pain. Avoid aspirin and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin).

Antibiotics are not helpful.

Do not cut into the wound or apply suction.

http://www.emedicine.com/wild/topic40.htm

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 11:31 PM

Tea Tree Oil (100% oil of Melaleuca alternifolia) is proven to neutralize most venoms and is excellent on any skin injuries (sunburn, cuts, coral reef infection, bee stings, cancer mouth ulcers, the list is endless). A bottle of this Australian natural product is a must in every Baja vehicle, home, and first aid kit. Available from most health food stores or from a direct marketing company called Melaleuca, Inc. I even started seeing it in Wal Mart.

Sorry you got hit Mike, I hope the pain has subsided. Graham Mackintosh has been stung a few times and tells a great story in his first book ('Into A Desert Place') about the experience! He actually looks forward to the sting, now! You'll have to read the book to know why!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 11:46 PM
Thanks guys

Mary Ann was busy with the PDR while I filled a tub up with HOT water and soaked my paw. Now, at 11:30, there is no pain (was little even at the first but the attack was unexpected in our kitchen). After hot water I applied cut raw potato (note that I've learned these techniques from you all and the sting ray deals along the Sea of Cortez. Two more days of HELL at JPL (just this particular assignment) and we're off to Baja. If they had to AMPUTATE that wouldn't stop us. Mas Manana, pero ahora todo esta bien.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

thumbup.gif posted on 9-28-2003 at 11:53 PM

Glad to hear it... Now, have a good night Mike. In the morning, remember to shake out your shoes and anything else you left on the floor... just like if you were in Baja... Ha Ha!!!!:lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2003 at 12:05 AM
Hey, DOUG

I got rid of all jewelry except handcufs. Please send key ASAP.
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 9-29-2003 at 09:05 AM

Bummer - Nailed in your own kitchen. Half of all the scorpions I have ever seen in all my desert/baja travels have been in my own house here in the San Diego Boonies. The last one was earlier this month as it came out from under the chair I was sitting in and headed for the TV. He got Hoovered.

So, did you have the same "sensations" as Graham? Enquiring minds want to know!
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2003 at 01:18 PM
HUH? MA and the boys didn't offer to "P" on ya?

I can't believe they missed the chance, you know I wouldn't have!:o
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2003 at 02:43 PM
Thanks to all...

Now, 18 hours later, I have had no reaction. I soaked my foot in hot water, then applied a sliced raw potato, then used the bite as an excuse to pour a glass of wine (from a BOX of course) and sat down to trade back rubs with MA while watching TV. All was well this A.M. and I was off to work as usual. My Secy asked if I felt OK, she thought I looked tired. I told her that I had been stung by a scorpion last night. I had no reaction to the sting, I told her, but the liberal application of beverage was kicking my butt!

[Edited on 9-29-2003 by Mike Humfreville]
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2003 at 06:14 PM
Seems that the danger from those critters might

be quick witted barbed comebacks aimed at pesky Amigas are lost! Come on Mike, I'm waiting! :)......

really, glad you are okay, seems that you are having a critter invasion at El Ranchero, first the snake, and now the Scorpion, you better hurry to Baja, seems you will be safer!! Have fun!
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2003 at 07:44 PM
DEB(ra), not DEB(utant) - HA!

Two rattlers on our doorstep a few weeks back, two scorpions scampering across our kitchen floor over the past two days. Seems like they run in pairs. The thought made me feel better after we'd caught the two until Miguelito and Kevin asked "Where did they lay their young?" Damn! But I checked it out: it was the female that zinged me. Surprised I didn't kick the bucket as many females as I've peeed off in my young and innocent life!

That'll give you something to shoot at!

Wish you-all were joining us on this fall excursion. I'll make up by writing a full report. Bring your lunch.
Casa P. D. y C.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2003 at 04:58 PM
Handcuffs!?

Too funny Mike, I liked that come back! Rattlers, scorpions, do you have to disclose those visitors with your realtor? We have the same unwanted house guests in baja, but would rather suffer from their ills down here. I also thought the same thing as Debra. No one offered to do the P detail? That only works for jelly fish and sting rays right? At least those two won't be hanging out at your casa in the States! All kidding asside, have a safe and fun trip. I'm sure that Friday will seem like forever in arriving.

As always,
P.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2003 at 06:02 PM
P.

Any/all members of my family would gladly have supported my needs. They're rather disapointed now that they know what an opportunity they missed. No P from you either, P! Thanks, we'll check things out at the south end. Hope all is going well for all of you. Hugs to Cody.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.