Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TriDPanel Construction
Smokey

Mood: Dreaming/Sweating

puzzled.gif posted on 6-26-2005 at 01:23 PM
TriDPanel Construction

Looking for information on past/present/future homes using this product. Need rough ideas on cost for "owner helped" projects in East Cape area. ($sq ft) Also cost for concrete per yard? Will be in this forum quite often.
Thanks,
Smokey
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-26-2005 at 01:33 PM
Smokey - talk to me - i am the licensed

dist for a block product that you must see to believe!

we will be importing to baja / mex soon - semi loads - create a "cave" like adobe in principle but mega better!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
dono
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 05:37 AM

Smokey, if you are coming down to the east-cape area look me up, Iam currently finishing a 3-D home, this is the 4th 3-D home I have built, really love the product. I use the 5'' panel thats an R-24 and that really helps when it gets hot, I think cement block is R .5. The panel is a good do it yourself product because its so light. Mike O'Dell can give you sq. ft. prices he has built several 3-D panel homes. Capt. Mike send me info on your new product.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 07:18 AM

I have worked with the engineers of the company in La Paz on a couple of big jobs. the TriDPanel product is good if properly used.

Mick send me some info on your blocks. It is hard to believe that you can import ,ship and resale a bloke product and be competitive in south Baja. why don't you look in to manufacturing your product here in B.C.S. we need the jobs and maybe you would be more competitive.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 02:57 PM
yes, we don't ship - it is a licensing process

to use the proprietary molds - and good block plant can cast these. more later.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
to use the proprietary molds - and good block plant can cast these. more later.

Interested:light::light::light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 03:43 PM

This is really just a question I have always had about R-factors. O.k., lets say a system such as the panel has an R-24 factor, and then you put 2" of concrete on either side of it and the concrete has an R factor of 5, what is the end R factor? What happens if your mason goes a little crazy and goes 2.5 inches in certain areas? Do the manufactors claim it to still be R-24? For sure am not saying it is not, am asking because I always wanted to know.

The other question I have regarding this being, lots of folks want lots of light and views in their Baja home. So, let's say we put in 60% glass windows, instead of walls. The glass is not double paned, the R-factor is really low, but the good news is glass does not retain heat. In fin, if the walls now have 60% glass, what would the R-factor be under those circumstances? What if the walls have 30% glass? Or 80% glass, (which by the way in not uncommon on the East wall facing the water, (if you are on the Sea of Cortez that is).?

Thanks in advance for any enlightment on these issues.

[Edited on 6-28-2005 by Eli]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 06:30 PM
smokey - we are not ready to go into mexico yet

the current franchisor and licensor /owner of the system and patents is working on it - lots of red tape - nafta hasn't helped much...
he is promoting it for Rocky Point now as he can ship it there and make money. I am using it on a new project and have built with it before, i am on the prefered contractor list for him. I hope to JV with him on a baja deal, if /when it comes together i can let you know - but don't wait for me it may be a while. the various foam panel systems are pretty good, you're safe with those too. or go straw bale.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2005 at 09:26 PM

Bummer

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Smokey

Mood: Dreaming/Sweating

smile.gif posted on 6-27-2005 at 11:13 PM
Windows/location

In reply to Eli post. Yes the number of windows does decrease the thermal valve of the wall. Fortunately our lot in La Ribera faces North towards the water so the windows will not be a problem. As a side note playing with my GPS the lot is almost due South of the Arizona/New Mexico state line and 465 miles from the border.:D
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 08:49 AM

Re: "put in 60% glass windows, instead of walls. The glass is not double paned, the R-factor is really low, but the good news is glass does not retain heat. In fin, if the walls now have 60% glass, what would the R-factor be under those circumstances? What if the walls have 30% glass? Or 80% glass, (which by the way in not uncommon on the East wall facing the water, (if you are on the Sea of Cortez that is).?"

The glass doesn't retain heat, but allows sunlight and resulting heat in, i.e., that much glass - depending on its location may heat up a structure to an uncomfortable level. Roof overhangs would shield some of the exposure to the sun; and permanent glass vs. windows which can be opened should be evaluated. Consider the direction of the wind for effective ventilation. These factors should be considered for both cold and heat. In Lake Tahoe east facing windows to catch the morning sun is always a bonus to heat up a cold house, thus saving propane. Also, there are small solar "heaters" which apply to individual windows which catch the sun and amplify the heat into a room. They just stick onto the window - no other installation. Info online I believe. In Tahoe, too, we use drapes with patio sliders to prevent too much sun in summer and another insulation barrier in winter - also helps prevent heat from escaping. Also, there are many secondary window retailers in San Diego that have double-paned windows pretty cheap. Check out Builders Trading Company, 90A No. Coast Hwy 101, Encinitas, and Habitat for Humanity Restore, in Mission Valley.
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 09:50 AM

Smokey, I tell you I always get turned around from Buena Vista South. I never did have a scense of direction. I want the Sea to be to my East, it isn't in many places I know, just a quirk I'll never get over I guess.

If I wanted to avoid the wind rushing in during the winter, but grab the Southern brezzes of summer, I would orient my house principal opening's with the large terraces to the South East. I might be convinced to utillize form insulation on the West walls, and avoid windows there, again the views would most likly dictate my final decison in regard to this. One can always close the windows and doors.

Yes, Widerone, over hangs, (but not concrete) a must, the more the better on all sides I think. Can't imagine solor panels on the windows to grab the heat in Baja, but it sure sounds like a good idea for Tahoe.

Couple more questions out there for anyone who knows about this stuff.

One being, what exactlly is the insulation R-factor of the foam panel itself without the steel wire that ecompasses the panal, along with the cement plaster on either side of the panel?

Secoundly, isn't steel a conductor of heat? Combining with the cement plaster on the exterior of the panal, what affect would this have efficency of the foam panal?

In the end, if I did choose to go with panals for all or part of a structure, I would most likly check into FANOSA panals as this is what the locals use as they are made in Mexico and therefore just Might be more cost effective. There is a dealer up on the highway North of Los Barriles, I think he is still there, if not in La Paz. Never hurts to check out a couple of different price opitions before one commits.

[Edited on 6-28-2005 by Eli]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2005 at 06:36 AM

Eli - are you in los barriles now?

can you send me again pls the names/ ph numbers etc of your family members that are there who can dial me in to that apt for a couple of nights?

thx - an exploratory trip might be in the offing next week.

Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2005 at 12:11 PM

Mike,

I am in Oaxaca for the summer. I e-mailed you the kids info. Also, e-mailed them to be on the look out for you.

Have a great time in Los Barriles, it is a sweet little sweaty town about now.
dono
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 05:40 AM

actually the Tri-D panel is a Mexican product the plant is located about 2 blocks from the Fanosa plant in Mexicali. The fanosa panel system is less expensive because they use 14 gage wire on the wall panel and its low density foam, a 4'' panel is about r-10. There is a new Italian panel that about the same price as fanosa it has larger gage steel but also low density foam.
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 02:28 PM

Thanks Dono, I like to understand how things work, and what are the different elements that contribute to their function.

Speaking of which, what gauge wire are used for the 3-D panals?

Also, since I know you are the distributor for 3-D, (or at least was in the past), for the East Cape, I am hoping you can help me out with your expertise on the subject. I would still really like to understand the r factor issues that I questioned in my above posts.

Again thank you for your attention to this questions, Sara
dono
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2005 at 02:41 PM

if you don't understand the explanations offered above then you won't understand mine. 11 gage
BajaWalls

[*] posted on 1-29-2006 at 06:00 PM
Need to contact Baja Norte Licensee

I am the president of Advanced Construction Materials & Engineering SA de CV. I am the distributor for Keystone Retaining Walls in Baja. I would like to learn more about your product in depth. Please email me at:
BajaWalls@gmail.com
Best Regards, Randy Oliver
dono
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2006 at 10:01 AM

Google TRi-D Insteele panel. the factory is located in Mexicali Mex . So. Baja Distributor Ed Moore 624 14-33122

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.