Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Bad gas
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 06:12 PM

On my 91 chevy I had to change the fuel filter every 25,000 miles, Like clock work. Lots of Baja gas ran thru it. Engine would start sputtering at about 2000 rpm or so and top out at about 2500 rpm. My 93 Toyota ran about as many miles in Baja but never had a problem with fuel. Finally changed it's filter at 100,000 just for the heck of it.
LarryK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 06:15 PM

I never buy gas from a station that I know just received a load of gas. Pumping that new gas into the tanks stirs up the water in the tanks.
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 07:19 PM

I used to install those little inline horizontal Pyrex filters that you could open up and clean the element in. And those old inverted-glass-dome ones I used to see on a lot of Chevys would definitely accumulate water at the bottom -- you could loosen the little thumbscrew and dump the stuff out.

Is wood alcohol the only alcohol that would bind the water? I suspect that any booze would do.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 07:22 PM

I've only used rubbing alcohol, maybe a half pint once in a while.

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 6-28-2005 at 08:29 PM

Gas treatment products contain about 15% percent of Isoproplyl
which is rubbing alcohol so why buy a diultated product (Big bucks) . I always use rubbing alcohol as a alternative. Works for me:light::light::light:
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2005 at 10:10 PM

Well, I am no expert like some of you but personally I have never had a problem with bad gas in the USA or Mexico. As to something to remove water from your tank there is a product sold at almost all the autopart stores in the USA called Heet that is made for just that purpose, probably a LITTLE safer then using rubbing alcohol even though that is what it is. Cost about $1.50 a bottle.
Now I have been selling car parts for the last 10 years and we have about 300 people a day in the store and you know what most people blame when a problem comes up sudden like most of the time? You got it, Bad Gas. So while I am sure it happens it has to be pretty rare.
As far as this stuff about not being in Mexico long enough to have it crop up -it is either bad gas or not, if you only fill up once in Mexico and only put in a 1/2 tank and the gas is 'bad' then you have a problem. For those of you who rarely or never have a full tank then condensation is a much more realistic scenario then bad gas, think about every time you have to use your defroster. You think that only happens to windshields?
And FINALLY why is it always one person who gets the bad gas? Heck if it is pumping water, in any quanity, you would have broken down cars radiating from that station like heat from the sun...Oh Well just my 2cents worth which ain't worth much because I have only spents weeks at a time in Mexico and you most live there for a years before they give ya the bad stuff :lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 09:49 AM
When you get away from the Carretera

and tourist areas, the gas comes out of drums. It is a wise idea to use a rag or filter when they pump the gas out of the drums. This is because of rust and chunks, etc. that is in the drums.
These things are what I refer to as bad gas although it isn't necessarily the gas but what's in it.

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by Q87]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 09:55 AM
Sniffing Fumes

It seems really strange that a thread regarding personal experiences with Bad Gas could generate responses of an adversarial nature. "I'm right, you're wrong ! NO ! you're wrong and I'm right".

Since this whole thing is simply a matter of empirical evidence, ALL of our experiences could be correct. If you've never gotten any, fine, you're lucky. No need to defend Pemex.

I can relate to occasions that I know were a result of contaminated gas. The times when you could SMELL the diesel effect or the time when I bought gas in San Felipe and by the time I arrived at the Border crossing, my GMC truck was barely running. After stopping at the Chevron station in Calexico, it ran fine again so fuel was the only variable.

While I really appreciate the knowledge imparted by the Expert Auto Mechanic, I too, spent a lot of years in the Auto Repair trade.
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 11:54 AM

I most definitely do not want to get into the middle of this...but, my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Please understand, this is purely a language question...

When you use the term chicken coup, do you mean coup as in a sudden strategic move, as in a political coup to take over a government; a car (minus the e on the end) as in coupe de ville; or coop, as in a small crate or pen that usually houses chickens, also defined as any small place, spelled coop and not coup.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 6-30-2005 at 11:58 AM
Coop

:lol::lol::lol: Sorrie
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 01:19 PM

NO, But it`s right down the road in Maria Isabell RV Park.

Thanks for the comment.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

mad.gif posted on 6-30-2005 at 01:32 PM
A few years ago at the Highway Station in Mulege...

I got two tanks of bad gas in my Ford van. It turned out to just be filthy. Trashed all my fuel filters. The only problem was that when the old rig sputtered to a stop, it couldn't have been at a worse place on the Parachute Grade north of Santa Rosalia. I tried to back onto a tiny little wide spot (dead engine, no power steering or brakes) and jack knifed my utility trailer. It was a very long sixty seconds running up the hill around the blind corner to get my reflective triangles out!!! THEN two big trucks arrived. Whew.

MAJOR Baja BooHoo averted.

[Edited on 6-30-2005 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 02:10 PM

Let me let you in on a little secret, MeNo: The kind of pointless hassling that you engage in doesn't generate much fun. It just it drags everything down. Until you get rid of some of your anger (which you end up apologizing for every so often) the only way to deal with your kind of fun is to just ignore your posts, which is what I'll do from now on.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 02:43 PM
"....I love this forum"!

This place is better than a good newspaper! Vikings are many here......!

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 6-30-2005 at 02:50 PM
"...and the villagers came to my belltower with flaming gasoline torches

They obviously didn't buy it here!:lol:
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 04:55 PM
Me no!

That certainly wasnt aimed at you....all of us!

Hell...I'm the Capt of that ship. Head Viking , yes? :lol::lol::lol: Theres only one person here I dont like...and I think she is a he!

Are we still happy campers with each other?

"I suppose you just let those sort of things slide".....do I really have to answer that question? You know me better by now. I still bite sometimes. :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 6-30-2005 by yankeeirishman]

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 05:28 PM

I had Bad Gas last night and I tried the alcohol. and then I passed out:barf:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 05:35 PM

Boy, has this thread degenerated.

Oh BTW - is this a coop grouper? Make mine veracruz - no olives! :cool:

[Edited on 7-1-2005 by movinguy]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.