Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Now...here's a nice post without negatives#1
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 08:07 PM
Now...here's a nice post without negatives#1

Garmin portable automotive navigation Street Pilot. It's perfect for the Baja traveling of back roads! Look it up on the www

I bought a GPS hand held unit about two years ago. I thought it would be fun to follow some routes (waypoints) that is offered on various WebPages. I spent two years trying to understand how to use the damn thing! It went out the window on Route 395 near Bishop! If you want it?go fight with the Coyotes over it! So now?I am told about this Street Pilot GPS and DATA center for cars. Whoa! I had it in operation on day one. Dummy me?I got it to work!

Street Pilot's touch screen can be control to be automatically guided with turn-by-turn directions and voice prompts. The talking box is super loud, and that?s great since I am 65% deaf. Hell?the passing cars can hear this baby! It features a color display, built-in maps, and everything needed. I can look up points of interest and addresses in seconds on a Yahoo web page ?type? screen. It sits on my dashboard, firmly with a sand bag construction.

This "toy" has everything that we wanted. I can use the GPS with ease! Looking up a close by restaurant or gas station (with directions to it) is easier that I thought. Police stations to shopping centers it shows?just like the ?Yellow Pages? . My kid can do all the commands it offers!

Using built-in base map, routes include interstates, highways and major thoroughfares; with routes include residential street-level detail within metropolitan areas. Voice Navigation instructions and warnings is totally awesome. The trip computer is a resettable odometer, timers, average and maximum speeds.

Although it will not show places of need/interest in Mexico, the GPS does work down there. And that?s what I am looking forward to?trails of the GPS traveler.

[Edited on 7-6-2005 by yankeeirishman]

[Edited on 7-6-2005 by yankeeirishman]

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 08:21 PM

Seriously Yankee, there is softwear that will load in that thing with decent maps of Baja in it... a sample was posted here, not long ago.

[Edited on 7-6-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Seriously Yankee, there is softwear that will load in that thing with decent maps of Baja in it... a sample was posted here, not long ago.

You sayin it got street maps and services too. ? Hope so :bounce:

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 10:40 PM

Far out...two post and nothing negative yet...:o...hey does that gps show where the gringos live in walled communities :lol:....sorry I just HAD to...:saint:

back to the story....what did you do to the old gps?...THROW it out the window?....I have the small GARMIN (without maps)...to me it is VERY difficult to use....way too many menus/choices....and I spend too much time trying to get the info I need....glad you like yours....
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 11:30 PM

I had a handheld that was simply........stupid! Just to get gps readings was a chronic pain in the ol bum! So one day I am driving around Bishop, looking for a fishin hole that was gps to me......I thought I would just go down there, turn on the bum thing, and fiqure it out (how to work it) for the eighth time. The rest is history. Coyotes are using it to track down rabbits :lol:

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 01:03 AM
fly-fishin' fools

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeeirishman
So one day I am driving around Bishop, looking for a fishin hole that was gps to me......

Did you say Bishop as in Bishop Pass Yankee? Spent many hours, many times in Bishop gearing up for backpacking and fly-fishing the backcountry. God, that brings back good memories with my family. Thanks Yank.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 07:14 AM

Quote:

David can you help me find the maps of Baja for my Gps?:?:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajaruby
Banned

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 09:05 AM

Y.I.M.
that's great. i just got one about 6 mo. ago, and am still trying to figure it out. I have wear my glasses to see it and when it does beep.....i can't hear it. how much was your new one, and where did you get it?
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Quote:
Originally posted by yankeeirishman
So one day I am driving around Bishop, looking for a fishin hole that was gps to me......

Did you say Bishop as in Bishop Pass Yankee? Spent many hours, many times in Bishop gearing up for backpacking and fly-fishing the backcountry. God, that brings back good memories with my family. Thanks Yank.

Oh yes ol' Mate! It's Bishop as you think. I discovered Bishop thru my Uncle. He used to take his two sons every year...to go ice fishing in this place called Bishop. Will...I finally got there some years ago...and it blew me socks off!!!!!!
Just the drive along 395 is "Califantastic". Owens Valley hot springs to Green Valley, Bridgeport...is truly the last frontier of California. Unfenced, open range in most part, back dirt roads that are running up at 11,000 + feet in elevation, and the crystal blue water of all the lakes. Truly an amazing area.

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaruby
Y.I.M.
that's great. i just got one about 6 mo. ago, and am still trying to figure it out. I have wear my glasses to see it and when it does beep.....i can't hear it. how much was your new one, and where did you get it?

http://www.thegpsstore.com/

Like I said....a dummy like me can use this thing!

zforbes
Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:30 AM
The wildflowers are coming into bloom

I just returned from the Bishop/Mammoth Lakes area. Although I was there for the unhappy event of my brother's death, I was able to go out on some back country roads with my other brother. After an almost record snowfall this winter, the flowers are responding with their best colors. It was good to get some quiet time out where the wind blows pretty free.
LarryB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Quote:

David can you help me find the maps of Baja for my Gps?:?:

Bruce
The Expeditioner is the best Garmin Baja GPS map currently available.
Larry
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 10:45 AM

thank you much LarryB

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

The Wonderer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 12:44 PM

Check them out @ Costco. On sale untill 7/10/05 -- $499
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?prodid=110465...
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wonderer
Check them out @ Costco. On sale untill 7/10/05 -- $499
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?prodid=110465...

Great price! Now I feel screwed!

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2005 at 04:15 PM

I have had several and still use Garmin handhelds. I like to take them out of the buggy when I walk up a canyon etc. For exploring the desert the handhelds have all the features I need - waypoints, tracks, routes. Never wanted to find the nearest 7-11 from a gps. Just where I had been and how to get out and back.

:biggrin:

[Edited on 7-6-2005 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.