Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Paz Suffers Another Big Mac Attack
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 02:33 PM
La Paz Suffers Another Big Mac Attack

In my constant search for things Mexican, I decided to check out the new La Paz Shopping Center at Fajoradores and Colosio. This huge strip mall is anchored by the Soriana Department store. This store is large enough to contain Casa Ley, both CCC's, all three Aramburo Markets and the McDonalds, but skip McDonalds, there is one in the building. Even before the completion of the seaside Burger King.

My adopted hometown is becoming a less and less desireable place to live, I'm sad to say!

In the mall there is even a pet shop with real live dogs in the window, this is Mexico?
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 03:42 PM

What a shame,

Lets organize a proyect, buy several miles of beach somewhere in the sea of cortez, and build a resort with strickt rules, NO fast food chains unless they are located in discreet areas and buildings of town, NO Shopping malls, NO time share, and in afew years.

THEY WILL COME
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 04:53 PM

Who is THEY?

I guarantee the McDonalds wasn't built for the tourists.

I like your concept. However I was hoping that in a few years... they would STOP coming.:-)
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 04:56 PM

They=Tourist

And i dont think people are going to stop coming here, after all, the way the world is changing, pretty soon is not going to be safe for americans to travel outside of the EU and North america, might as well accept it and deal with it in the best possible way.
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 10:41 PM
The Burger King Blues

Too bad it couldn't be like the Burger King, which is one of the most hilarious building projects I've ever seen built in my life and has now taken over two years to get built. I wish I could talk to whoever got the idea to put a burger king there and find out if he's ready to blow his own brains out yet over all the beurocracy he's had to go through.

To give those who aren't familiar with the project some idea, the building, on the historic Malecon district of La Paz, used to be one of the sleeziest bars on the planet, but always had gorgeous handcarved wooden doors and shutters and was a very pretty building. It was a poorly planned building, though, where floor level was at least 5 feet below sea level. Not a good idea in a hurricane prone part of the world.

Anyway, that skanky bar (what was the name of it anyway?), shut down 8 or ten years ago and nothing was done with the place, but there was still this conservation plan where historic buildings on the Malecon had to be preserved. The developers finally wound up going in and first gutting the interior. Although not the most efficient building for habitation, it's no wonder the thing was still standing. It was built with these 8 by 8 beams of wood that could probably withstand anything, which I watched being hacked away at for a long time before they came down. Then it stood there for a month or so and I noticed they were doing more demolition.

At this point they started tearing off the roof, too. By the time they finally finished, they had demolished the doors and window coverings, bricked up the window holes , and had nothing more than the bricked up exterior shell of the front facade left, which had to be braced in order to keep it from falling down like a fake movie set on top of passersby. When I left Mexico a year ago, that and a big hole behind it was all that was left.

I've been asking friends every time I talk to them if the Burger King is up and running yet. They always tell me "no" and I always rejoice.

I know it's a true harbinger of what's to come, but I don't care too much if they put a McDonald's inside a modern Mall out in Fidepaz, but it still makes me wanna cry every time a think of a Burger King right up the street from the dock on the Malecon. Yuk.

There were some stories about the building that BK is going into being haunted. A murder took place there some time ago and some of the locals say the reason no business has ever made it there is because of ghostly retribution on all who came in it. If you'd ever been to the bar that was the last incarnation, you just might believe it too. Skaaaaankyyyyy (but of course, the worst bar can't outskank a BK), I just hope they didn't tear down too much of the building for the curse to remain intact.......OOOOOOOooooooooooo, whoppers...........-Stephanie:mad::(:o

[Edited on 11-15-2002 by Stephanie Jackter]
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-15-2002 at 02:25 PM
Soriana Dept. store.....what's it like?

Has anyone shopped at Soriana mentioned in the beginning of this thread? What does it have? (food,clothes,books,furniture,hardware,plants?????)
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2002 at 02:57 PM
La Paz

Hi Tucker: We just returned from 2 weeks in La Paz and we fell in love. We met Alberto, a guide(?) who grew up there and he told us what it was like when he was a child and fished just off his front porch, etc. We can't even imagine how beautiful it must have been then, cause we think it is now. You are lucky to live there, ( I think, in the winter, but Pablo thinks you're lucky all year round). Sorry about the fast food. Adios. Annie T.

Live, love and be happy.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2002 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Has anyone shopped at Soriana mentioned in the beginning of this thread? What does it have? (food,clothes,books,furniture,hardware,plants?????)

Sorianas has everything from groceries to washing machines to motor scooters (The big ones)! And all the above mentioned articles!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-15-2002 at 07:23 PM

I believe I heard they're a chain located principally throughout the northern states of Mexico. The big story here is that the 2 or 3 families that own the majority of the biggest stores and hotels in La Paz will have finally been forced to open up some business to outsiders. I'm curious to know who the developer of the new mall is. Maybe it is one of those families. - Stephanie

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.