Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: GARMIN MAPS
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 02:32 PM
GARMIN MAPS

Does anyone use the Garmin Map #

MUS021R.....If so, does it offer good detail of Mulege through La Paz? Don't want the expense if it doesn't have the detail.

Appreciate your help.....Capt. George
jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 04:11 PM
Garmin maps

I have lots of Garmin maps including the one you referenced. My experience is the coastline detail is good, but the map is not accurately georeferenced. By that I mean that all the waypoints of Mexico I have collected in the field do not accurately plot on the map I have in my computer. They are all shifted generally about 1/4-1/2 mile east-northeast of their true location on the Garmin maps. That means the secret beach I always camp on along the Sea of Cortez is mapped as if it is 1/2 mile offshore. I have spoken to Garmin about this problem several times and they say there is nothing they can do. I say there is nothing they want to do (not enough customers to justify the expense), but I believe the solution is not that complicated. It has to do with misidentifiation of something called a projection and that has produced the systematic shift of my waypoints (and I assume everybody else's). I would love to hear from anyone who has plotted their field-collected waypoints from Mexico on Garmin maps and how accurate their location is noted.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 04:22 PM
GARMIN MAPS

JK, thanks for the rapid and informative reply.....I will locate and reference my own waypoints (in due time). My concern is does it show a good deal of bottom make up, or at least give me a confidence in where I can start....Here in the Keys, the maps actually will show one single coral head....But, alas, money, money makes corp. America go round and round... Thank you JK Capt. George
richard nauman
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 04:33 PM
Map Projections

Hey guys - I haven't used Garmin GPS or the maps you mention but do work with cartographic data a lot. Without going too nuts with detail the basic problem map makers run into is that it's hard to "flatten" a round globe onto a flat map. Think about smashing an orange peel - it's got to rip or fold to make a flat surface so what cartographers use is a mathematical conversion to make a globe flat - it always results in distortion in area, direction or both. Different projections are used for different maps to minimize this distortion - it's all just a trade off. To make matters worse the earth is not perfectly round. It is a little fat around the middle and flatter near the poles. There are also other irregularities in the shape. So the projection that you use also needs what is called a "datum" which is an approxiamtion of the shape of the earth. If you're still reading here's the point - if you put 2 maps together (like your way points and the Garmin Maps) with different projections or datums things will not line up correctly. Judging from the distance and direction of your errors it sounds like you are not using the correct datum which is a common problem. Generally GPSs come with WGS83 as the default datum (you should be able to find this in the set up menus). It is very likely that Garmin used USGS data which is often in WGS24 - an older model of the earth. So if I am correct then you can reproject the Garmin map (hard for you to do) or change the setting of the projection and datum in your GPS to match the map. THis won't help your old way points but should fix future ones.
Email me at RichardNauman at yahoo.com if you want more help or we can continue here if everyone is not alseep. The take home is that you need 4 things to mark a possition on a map: latitude, longitude, projection and datum - the second 2 are just as important as the first 2 especially if you are trying to avoid those rocks in your boat!!!
RN

[Edited on 10-1-2003 by richard nauman]

[Edited on 10-1-2003 by richard nauman]
jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 07:04 PM

Hey Richard, thanks for the reply. I am aware of all the details you speak of (I supervise a GIS unit for work). The problem I speak of is not an error in use of datum on my part, but may be an error in geoprojection of datum on Garmin's part. However, they are not willing to look into the problem.

Capt. George, the depth info on the maps is perhaps less reliable than other features. If nothing else, depths are not sampled at any where near the rate they are on US charts. I sure would not count on it to keep me out of trouble, even if there were not georeferencing problems.

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by jk]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-1-2003 at 08:20 PM

Thanks a bunch Richard... great info. The map datum pre set on my Garmin eTrex is WGS84.

For some more basic info. for GPS beginners: The map datum used on Mexican topo maps (incl. the 'Baja Almanac') is NAD27 (North American Datum of 1927).

The Garmin has all map datums stored in it, so it is easy to change from one datum to another. The waypoints (coordinates) automatically change when the datum is switched.

In my many trip web pages, I provided some GPS waypoints. In the beginning, I just entered them as shown on the eTrex (WGS84). Now, with so many of us using the Baja Almanac to spot these exotic locations and road junctions, I have posted the waypoints set at NAD27.

The important thing is noting the map datum and entering the waypoint with the GPS set at the same datum.

Neal Johns is my teacher... see his funny GPS article on the DesertExplores.org web site.

Baja Almanac's web site: http://www.baja-almanac.com

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 04:11 AM
GREAT

This site ia an almanac!

george
richard nauman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 09:09 AM
GPS, GIS and Baja

Hey guys I thought I was the only one who worried about this stuff (although I did mistype - David K is correct in that USGS maps are in NAD27). I haven't used GPS much but I do a lot of GIS work. I didn't realize that the recreation grade GPS could reproject waypoints automatically. Sounds like the Garmin map problem is a little deeper than I thought.
JK - do you know of any good sources for GIS layers for Baja? I just got ARCGIS at home and have been playing with the layers that ESRI provides and that I downloaded from the web (mainly the coverages for the World atlas that ESRI produced). I'm just making maps for fun and always looking for Baja Data. I found some elevation data but you need to buy the miltary analyst extension. I've been meaning to contact the almanac folks to see how they made those great looking maps.
RN
jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 05:17 PM

Richard, I haven't really even thought of using ArcGIS with Baja data. Interesting idea--I'll have to see what I can find. I have limited myself to the Garmin charts and I do have 1:250,000 topo maps of Baja (someone help me with the source, I can't remember off the top of my head). I used Oziexplorer to work with them, but I haven't figured out a way yet to download them into a PDA. I really don't want to tote a laptop around Baja in my sea kayak.

[Edited on 10-3-2003 by jk]
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 05:33 PM

jk,
Both OziExplorer and Fugawi work with PDAa now to use scanned maps.

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
jk
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 05:45 PM

Neal, thanks for the tip. I will have to check out the upgrades. I just bought a Garmin iQue and would love to have those maps on it for my next Baja trip.
richard nauman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2003 at 05:58 PM
Baja GIS

JK - please let me know if you find any good GIS data - I'd like to make some simple maps to add to my web page.
RN

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.