Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bad Habits, Part 1
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 09:02 PM
Bad Habits, Part 1

His habit was to sit on his deck for an hour or more at night after dark. Every night a small unlighted boat made a direct line to the south end of the bay. It returned to the village two hours later and was still unlighted. He had no idea what the purpose of the nightly voyage was, but it was of no concern to him and he otherwise ignored it. Fishermen setting nets perhaps.

He was occupied with friends and family who were visiting in abundance. They we up late nightly. Rum and beer were the drinks of the hour and there were many hours in the day. The men were up early and off fishing hard during the morning hours. There was always an abundance of cold beer in the onboard ice chest. Many were consumed before the daily trip was underway, all the fish hauled into the boat, the return trip completed and the fish cleaned and packaged. Evenings started with c-cktail hour and seemed to always run into early morning.

Alcohol was a way of life in these conditions, had been for him for years. Lately his appetite had been off. His urine was always a dark yellow-orange in the morning in the bowl as he stood looking down there. He?d need to discuss this with his doctor back in California when he made a trip north in a few months. In the mean time, life continued.

He often wondered how he had arrived at this point, knew it was from his ridiculous childhood filled with his parents and his own misdeeds. Those were water under a long ago burned bridge he knew but the past was the past and nothing he could do now would alter the facts of history. It wasn?t that he felt badly about his upbringing anyway, it was just the way it was. To a child there was no right and wrong, just the actuality of reality as it was lived on a daily basis.

But he knew he?d need to deal with his current life soon. After his friends had headed south he?d come to grips he thought to himself late at night after another round of drinking. Then he?d deal with it, he thought.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 09:09 PM

Good to hear from you Mike, it's been too long.
Please tell your subject to get to the doctor soon.
We wouldn't want anything to happen to him.
Best wishes.
Me No
Banned

[*] posted on 7-11-2005 at 09:14 PM

Thanks Mike. I needed that.

You probably think I abandoned you. To a degree. I never did, your writing is still as good as it ever was. Face to Face, we would be friends. I know that deep down.

Your path in life has led you to where you belong, your writing reflects that. My only wish is that one day, I will be able to say that too. Saludos!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-12-2005 at 07:00 AM

Hi Mike good start to your story thanks. when do we get part 2?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2005 at 10:25 AM
Dark Yellow Orange?

Hmmmmmm. Y'know, Mike, there's a question on the MMPI that asks whether your stool is black and tarry. The point of it, as a clinical psychologist once explained to me, isn't that they want to know the consistency and color of your excrement. They ask the question because they want to know whether you're the kind of person who studies your toilet offerings before sending them off to their watery graves. Now we know.

Anyway, I'm no doctor, but I'd say that guy in your story needs to drink more water. A guy I know swears that you can drink as much wine as you want without ill effect, as long as you alternate each glass with an equal volume of water (however, he does spend an unusual amount of time in the bathroom).
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-12-2005 at 06:44 PM
Mike

We talked about this just before you and your friend headed south. Please take care of him as one day he will finally come to believe that many people do care about him.

Paz!

Water is a good cleaning agent for most all things--even fish.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2005 at 05:51 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys. I?m slow in posting as we are in Ensenada having major work done on Miguelito?s teeth (about 1/4th the cost of the US and by guys educated in the same schools).

Me No, thanks. We can all get along when we find ways to agree and forget the insignificance of our differences. Get with it and write a great fishing story amigo.

Mike
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 7-26-2005 at 01:05 PM

head south.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.