BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Fishing gear for the big one......
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-18-2005 at 10:50 AM
One thing I feel is NOT necessary

is to go out and purchase an expensive 9 foot+ surf pole. You simply do not need distance on the Pacific side to have fun. The east coast (of the US) is a different story.

Find a used 7-8 foot spinning outfit somewhere, if you aren't comfortable with a conventional reel (cranking handle along the same axis as the spool). I prefer a conventional reel because it is much less subject to line trouble ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF CASTING THEM. Conventional reels today have adjustable anti-backlash controls that can remove much of the "thumbing" of the spool during the cast. They also have much better drag systems in case you hook a beast.

Spinners continually twist the line as a matter of how they retrieve line. No bueno! It will eventually cause loops in pretty short order. Yes, they can probably outcast a conventional in distance......but distance is not as important as reading the surfline to predict structure of the bottom.

I am no fan of casting squid strips or clams or bloodworms out into the surf and sticking the pole in a holder and waiting. Very boring unless you are on the beach at Malibu or Salt Creek where the scenery around you may warrant this. ;) Use a sliding sinker and keep your bait moving through the surf zone until you find the right conditions. Walk the shoreline, beachcombing and looking for sand crabs and getting exercise and staying cool near the water.

I'll be bringing some basic surf rigs with me to try at La Bocana this weekend. Should be good if I can find some sand crabs.

[Edited on 7-18-2005 by Hook]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2005 at 11:52 PM
This might help also

http://www.baja.net/fud/index.php?t=msg&th=7042&start=0&rid=0
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.