Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Great Chinese Food in Tijuana
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 04:52 PM
Great Chinese Food in Tijuana

I know that this post might seem strange, but i have been noticing that in the last few years theres have been an explosion of Chinese restaurants in town, this is of course very good because we are now savoring some of the best Chinese in the wes coast of North America, but i am wonderng if this is happening in other parts of Baja? or if anyone know why so many Chinese in Mexico all of the sudden?

Is there growing inmigration to Mexico from China?
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 05:10 PM

I dunno but I wish some plum sauce would migrate to Mexico. I'm tired of getting hot mustard and KETCHUP with my egg rolls.
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 05:37 PM

Jesse and Dave -

I won't even start with how many chinese restaurants there are in Mexicali except to say that some of them are being bought out by Koreans - Koreans seem to be pretty agressive in business on the Calexico side as well.

What's your favorite chinese place in TJ Jesse - I've always liked the Dragon in the Rio Plaza mall - and then over to the S?tano Suizo for a mug of draft beer.

The same family that owns the Dragon there has one in Mexicali and Rosarito - I'd recommend any of them.

Take care.

Braulio
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 05:44 PM
Chinese

I just read that they found, I don't know if they were ever lost, 40 fully documented chinese workers at a Machiladora in TJ. Is this old news or no news.

Also, anyone hear anything about the two young girls murdered in Santa Rosalia. The town is suposidly in a panic right now. Tom
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 07:09 PM
RE

Here in Tijuana i like Changs Place in zona rio, but i find that the best reataurants are small upstarts , for example theres a little restauranta here where i live in Playas de Tijuana, and the food is superb!!!! Theres also a small restaurant in fron of BK in Blvd agua caliente, y think its called cafe china.

In Mexicali i like los panchitos, and i had no idea about the Korean situation, are they buying Chinese restaurants or are they opening Korean restaurants?

I would also like to hear more about that Santa rosalia deal, it sounds creepy.
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 07:39 PM
Plum sauce

there are several good packaged varieties you could bring down with you. I can't imagine they don't already have it though considering all the plums they have. Have you asked for Hoysin sauce. Not sure of the spelling.
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 08:31 PM

Quote:
[, are they buying Chinese restaurants or are they opening Korean restaurants?

I would also like to hear more about that Santa rosalia deal, it sounds creepy.

Jesse -

I don't know if it's a trend or not - a couple of the working class type chinese restaurants I go to have Korean owners - the food is chinese - I guess.

There's a big Korean presence in Calexico.

Minnow -

I didn't read anything about the chinese workers you mentioned but it doesn't surprise me.

A couple of years ago I was eating in a chinese place in La Mese (TJ) and I could hear the owner negotiating with a Mexican about how much it would cost to buy papers for some people he knew - it was expensive - about 5 k dollars. Maybe the workers were indentured.

Take care guys.

Braulio
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 11-14-2002 at 09:40 PM
how would you rate it

have you been to any of the more popular chinese restaurants in LA. How would you compare the Calexico or Mexicali ones to say Chin Chins? Or is it more on the line of panda express. Last time I was through there I did note a large number of chinese looking signs. I didn't know they were korean owned. I guess It's OK. My favorite sushi bar here in vegas is owned by koreans. Very enterprising people. Tom
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-15-2002 at 09:46 AM

Minnow -

I'm not familiar with the LA scene for chinese food.

Most places in Mexicali are family run and the style is based on Cantonese (what you're likely to find in San Francisco) with a Mexican twist.

They run the gamut - usually I just grab at lunch at one of them - you can get a comida corrida (fried rice, vegetable,meat/chicken) for about 3 bucks and you're in, fed , and out in 20 minutes.

About once every couple week I'll go to a fancier place for an evening dinner with friends - to me it's fairly elegant compared to what you'd find in Mexicali but I'm sure doesn't compare to high-end stuff in LA.

Drop me an email some time and I'll take you to the Dragon and see what you think.

Take care.
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2002 at 09:49 AM

The above was me.

Braulio

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.