Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question what to do?
Josbrun

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 08:50 AM
Question what to do?

Hi guys and girls,
As my rig ( 96 Dodge Diesel) just turned 100K miles and nine years of Baja driving without a single hick up, I feel the ods of something happening are geting ever so greater with each trip. Could you please help me to get ready? What do you do? Let's say, smack half way between El Rosario and Catavina, your rig just dies. It's day time, you are pulling a boat trailer, the truck is loaded with all your gear and you are traveling only with a 14 year old kid, heading down to BOLA. How do you get help? What are the possible scenarios based on your personal experiences?
Joe
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 08:56 AM

You could try that Claudette Colbert thing. But you'd probably have to shave your legs beforehand.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 09:04 AM

If it was a Ford diesel, I'd figure it was just finally broke in. Diesel's have less to go wrong with the motors than gas rigs. Best insurance you can have is your knowledge of the way your vehicle works. A item not usually thought of is a adjustable fan belt that can be built to whatever length you need - in case alternator - vacumn pump freeze up you can still run fan/water pump. Green Angels are very helpful as are a lot of the locals.

Good luck

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-25-2005 at 09:12 AM
Jos

check out some stories about this at http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum

And I'll find my qualifications at answering this question.:lol::lol::lol:

Open your hood, stand by the road and look pathetic. Don't expect any of the gringo or canadian plates to stop because they are all on a "schedule":lol:
But, the majority of the Mexican folks will stop if they are able to help. Have some sodas, water handy for them as well as yourselves as it is hot out there and you really need it if you are stuck.
Chances are they will know how to fix the problem. If not, they will get you someone from the next town to come help.
Or you can ride with them.
Or, a Green Angel will come by. They are good, have radios, and can resolve any problems.
bahiamia
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 10:36 AM

Check all your belts and hoses before you leave, and it doesn't hurt to carry spares for those. But especially check the belts. If one of those go, that's something that could strand you.

Also, make sure you can break the lug nuts loose and change your tire(s) with the tools you have onboard. Most lug nuts are put on with an air wrench, and you might have quite a struggle to break them loose by hand using only your lug wrench. Carry a length of pipe with you that fits over your lug wrench that will give you extra leverage if needed.

I have lost count of the times I have driven up and down Hwy. 1, mostly solo, (or sola, in my case!). Preparation before hand is what counts. Make sure everything is in order before you leave, and that your tools, should you need them, are easily accessible and you know how to use them.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 02:14 PM
i got a '90 ford f-250 diesel...

with 210k miles and it runs great...wouldnt think twice about taking almost anywhere in Baja....once you go diesel,you never go back:O
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 02:29 PM
Could'nt find the list but

In somewhere near 20 breakdowns that I couldn't fix, in all parts of Baja , I have yet to spend an entire night alongside a road down here because of one.

Between San Ignacio and Vizcaino the yoke from my rear differential broke. Bad news!!!
My friend hitched back to San Ignacio while we attempted to collect wood for the next few days that I anticipated we would be staying there waiting for the part.
In about an hour or so Ron, (my friend) pulls up in a tow truck. And he thinks he has the part. But, it didn't quite fit so, the tow truck driver drops the rest of the driveshaft and they head off to San Ignacio with it.
They return in about an hour and had welded the original yoke back together and it was like that for years.
3 hours mas o menos

sundown, between La Purisima and Pta. Peque?a, alternator goes out. Carol is nervous as it was her first trip to the wilds. When I tell her we get out the chairs and make drinks, she seems to regain some calm.
But, after getting out the chairs, ice in the glasses, a truck pulls up. After trading batteries, we are back on the road to Peque?a and meeting them in town to change back. Not even time for drinks!

And on and on!!! Breaking down seems to be somewhat of an art form or social event down here. Just look at the majority of the cars and you will understand why:lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.