Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Video
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 03:06 PM
Baja Video

Well, not exactly.

I ran across a VHS movie titled "Baja" at the rental store. Read the description and found that it was about a young couple who fled to Baja after a drug deal went bad. OK. At least it might be interesting to view to see where in Baja they shot the scenes.

Having lived in the Coachella Valley for many years peviously, I immediately noticed that the "Baja" location was the Hwy 111 side of the Salton Sea. Reading the credits at the end, I saw that it was filmed entirely on location in Los Angeles and IMPERIAL counties.

So, if you want to see a "B" movie titled Baja that has nothing to do with that place, it's not too bad.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 03:17 PM

Sorry Bill, the one thing David K and I agree on is that is easily the worst movie I have ever seen.

[Edited on 7-25-2005 by Tucker]

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 03:57 PM

I think it was filmed in Barstow:?:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 05:21 PM
Not Even Close

I can think of four movies I've seen in recent years that were far worse than "Baja", albeit they were all comedies. They were:

The Man Who Knew Too Little.
Lost In Translation.
Without a Paddle.
The Life Aquatic.

Three of the above starred Bill Murray, who seems to have a penchant for terrible scripts.

If I could ever bring myself to watch them, I'd probably rate a whole bunch of those Ninja, Karate type movies in the worst category.

"Baja" was mediocre, but watchable.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 05:25 PM

come on Bill......Murray is GENIUS!!!!

did you see "Where the Buffalo Roam"??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 05:30 PM

After a drug deal goes horribly awry, Bebe and Alex (Molly Ringwald and Donal Logue) flee to Baja where they wait for money and passports to arrive. Bebe's father (Corbin Bernsen) sends Bebe's not-yet-divorced ex-husband Michael (Michael Nickles) after her, hoping he can talk some sense into Bebe. While Bebe and Alex get increasingly irritated and Michael searches the streets of Baja, a ill-tempered and cut-throat hitman (Lance Henriksen) shows up and befriends Michael. Eventually, all the characters collide in the desert in an explosive confrontation. Typical Elmore Leonard-type plot situation among criminals, but the lush photography of Baja and the competent performances keep this film taut and fresh looking. Henriksen in particular breathes life into a very cliched character making the audience wish the whole film was about him. ~ Sean D. MacLaggan, All Movie Guide
pokey
Nomad

Mood: sun burned

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 05:31 PM

Murray's portrarayal of HST is classic in that movie.

Keep Mexico weird
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 05:32 PM
Murray

That's why I keep getting sucked in. Bill Murray has done some great work, but those three STINK. The worst part is that I watch them to the end thinking they have to get better, but they were lousy to the last minute. I saw the previews to "Lost in Translation" and I thought it would be pretty good. Unfortunately, every good scene was in the preview.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 05:37 PM
HuH ??

Quote:
but the lush photography of Baja and the competent performances keep this film taut and fresh looking. Henriksen in particular breathes life into a very cliched character making the audience wish the whole film was about him. ~ Sean D. MacLaggan, All Movie Guide

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above critic is obviously full of crap. There is no photography in Baja. The Baja scenes are at the Salton Sea. In one of them next to the highway (111) you can see the Banning Pass in the background. I would give Henriksen a nod. He plays to type in that movie well.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 05:43 PM

I was wondering where it was shot. It seemed pretty barren to me.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 06:03 PM

yeah....."lost" lost me big time!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 07:46 PM
Yeah...all movie critics suck....

...while most claim to have their own 'Independence', they all sell out to earn their big bucks! Most of them attend the big parties hosted by the movie biz people, and suck up all the free goodies, food and booze! If a movie critic REALLY panned a movie, they would be lose their meal tickets at the movie tycoon's troughs and be black-balled!

I always ask several friends what they think of a new movie, instead of listening to the 'official' movie critics!

I guess Murray either has a screwy agent, or just bad judgment when it comes to his films....or maybe the scripts look good at the time, but the director just screws up the final product - once Murray has signed on, he's got to stick it out, I guess...but what do I know?

Went to see 'Wedding Crashers' last week, and it was a real 'hoot'...lots of good laughs, if you have a nice 'sick' sense of humor, as I do!!!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
come on Bill......Murray is GENIUS!!!!

did you see "Where the Buffalo Roam"??

what about caddy shack:light:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2005 at 08:29 PM

IMO

Best Murray movie (lead role)....Groundhog Day

Also... Ed Wood.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-25-2005 at 09:23 PM
Speaking of crappy threads

How does this manage to stay in General Discussion?:no:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.