BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What did a peso buy in 1950?
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

question.gif posted on 10-3-2003 at 08:12 AM
What did a peso buy in 1950?

Thumbing thru the pages of an old book I found a 1950 paper peso, the one with the Aztec sun on the face. I couldn't help but wonder what did a peso buy in 1950? Anyone out there "old-school" enough to remeber spending one of these? :?:
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 10-3-2003 at 08:59 AM

Well I remember in 1993 that 5.2 of em would buy you a liter of beer. Now it's up to about 14.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-3-2003 at 09:44 AM

Until the peso was allowed to "Float" in 1976, it had been fixed by the
Mexican Government at 12.5 pesos to the U.S. dollar so the Peso was worth
eight cents. I believe that FIXED value dated back to the 1920s.
The only common use I remember was to buy coffee in the
restaurants in Tijuana, Ensenada and San Felipe. The menus usually
listed coffee at 10 cents OR one Peso. I drove to Guerrero Negro just
after the "Float" and wisely purchased Pesos at a bank in Ensenada.
The initial revaluation had halved the price to approx 25-1 and
NOBODY was taking dollars because of the fear and uncertainty of
their valus. The Peso again revalued in 1982 just AFTER I leased
property and paid for initial construction. at that time it halved
again to 45-1. That was scary, but it all worked out. By the way,
that OLD peso is worth 1/100 what new peso is worth. I've got a
small bucket of old peso coins. We use them for Poker chips.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-3-2003 at 12:22 PM
1950 Peso

Loved this question, I have a Summer 1950 Ensenada pamplet that describes some of the following --Rosarito Beach Hotel--Rooms from $6.00US--Riviera del Pacifico--European Plan double room $10-$18. AND
Announcing our special round trip cruise form Ensenada to Manzanilloon the 500 ton Freight and passenger ship the ENSENADA ll----only $45.00 round trip including meals--Round trip 22 days--RELAX EAT WITH THE OFFICERS FISH FROM THJE SIDE OF THE SHIP-----showers and air-conditioned****Believe that!
Punta Banda Fishing Boats with guide and motor $10.00 per day (free camping)
And this other stuff---Walter Hussong owned the "CHEVRON Service Station" John Hussong ownes the El Morro Bungalows (they were still there in 1964 when I started wandering around down here). Juan Abakumoff ran the "TEXACO" Service Station--It wasn't always Pemex!!!
Oh! and this "Quintas Papagayo Resort one and two bedroom homes (right on the beach) starting at $12.00per day.
I KNOW this is not in pesos but it will give you an idea.
A real fun pamplet.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2003 at 02:30 PM
NOT SO CHEAP

In Montauk NY back in the mid sixties, I use to rent a cottage on Montauk Lake for $6.18 per night..........Ahhhh, inflation.
I think we're better off in Baja now then the States. Other reasons beside financial, any of us that have met the Choyeros, know the reasons..........

Capt. George
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-3-2003 at 02:52 PM

In 1950 the only thing I knew about Mexico came from Speedy Gonzalez cartoons. But I can tell you that as late as the mid-60's a peso would buy: Two beers (Victorias that is); a collective cab ride (pesero) the entire length of Paseo de La Reforma from the "Diana" statue at the base of Chapultepec park to the Zocalo in Mexico City; a shoe shine, a newspaper (including The Times); a 2nd class bus ride with change back; a taco from a street vender; entry to a pay toilet with change back; a cup of coffee; a movie ticket at one of the older "flea palace" neighborhood theaters; a gourd of pulque; a wide variety of candies, peanuts, roasted pumpkin seeds etc. (I'm sure there's more but memory fails...)

[Edited on 10-3-2003 by Oso]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-3-2003 at 05:52 PM

Four cents for a Beer ? That's cheap ! I don't remember any of the
Skin Bars in Tijuana charging that and I visited as many of them as
I could. Of course, you had to pay for the entertainment and I have
to say, it was well worth it. Four cents !! Absolutely amazing.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 09:04 AM
About that Peso

Well, if a beer cost 5.2 in 1993 then it cost about $1.73 U.S. (3 pesos to the Dollar). If it costs 14 pesos for the quart now, the cost is about $1.32 U.S. (about 10.60 to the Dollar). Actually, the price has dropped . . . if you're spending the U.S. Dollar. Drink up!

About the "floating" peso . . . that occurred in 1995, best I recollect. Until then the government propped it up.

It costs less to travel the mainland of Mexico now than it has for many years . . . as long as you're spending the U.S. Dollar.

That's how I see it.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
By the way, that OLD peso is worth 1/100 what new peso is worth.

1/100th... or 1/1000th?

They lopped off three zeroes on Jan 1, 1993, correct?

--
Doug Means

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 10:35 AM
I'm happy they made the coins smaller.....

remember what it was like to have 12lbs. of change after buying a beer? :o
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 12:26 PM

I think the 000's came off in late-92 or very early '93. I don't remember the numbers exactly, but the devaluation has been so deep since 1982 that Mexicans have never made-up the ground lost (and earn less in real terms today than they did 22 years ago).
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 01:25 PM

Again, the 4 cent beers were Victorias, not generally regarded as the finest of brews. And this was in marketplaces throughout Central Mexico where the indigenous population came to trade. Definitely not at The Blue Fox in TJ, where inebriated swabbies & jarheads came for the "fine Mexican cuisine.":biggrin:

I liked those big old pesos, made you think you actually had some money. Although they did weigh your pockets down. I also remember the tiny little one centavo coins. They were still in circulation, but by the 60's most merchants didn't want to bother with them and kept most prices in units divided by "quintos"- 5 centavos. For some reason, the prices at the few (then)modern supermarkets in Mexico City were more tightly regulated than the traditional markets and the cash registers had to calculate totals to the centavo. The cashiers didn't want to fool with 1 centavo coins, so if the change came to anything over an amount divisible by 5 centavos, you'd get a chicklet or two with your change.

There is a movement underfoot in Mexico today to mint a new coin with one ounce of real silver. The argument being that Mexicans need something of intrinsic and supposedly stable value as opposed to being tied to the dollar. This seems to ignore the fact that silver, like other commodities, also fluctuates in value.

Which naturally segues into a joke:

An Asian gentleman goes into a bank to exchange 100 Yen (I don't know the real rate, just work with me here) and receives 84 dollars and 53 cents. A week later, the same gentleman returns to again exchange 100 Yen and received only 65 dollars and 20 cents. Shocked and incensed, he demanded an explanation. "Fluctuations", replied the teller. Red in the face, he put the change in his pocket, headed toward the door then turned and shouted, "Fluc you Amelicans, too!":fire:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2003 at 06:20 PM
Hey Oso......

I still have some of those old coins , 'ya wana make a deal??? Best exchange just por you mi Amigo (wink) :lol:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.