BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hurricanes, tropical storms and you
muji

[*] posted on 10-4-2003 at 03:05 PM
hurricanes, tropical storms and you

i previously made plans to drive around Baja for 3 weeks of October centering around La Paz, and was originally supposed to leave today.

well, i pushed that out 10 days later, to let Baja heal a bit after Marty ripped through. especially Hwy 1, since I'm taking my little 2WD and can't handle much in the way of "off roading".

anyhow, been closely following the hurricanes and personal after-reports on websites like here, and been following NOAA forecasts.

it looks like the (now Hurricane) Nora turned right towards Baja, and is about to come up the Pacific side later this week, followed by (currently Tropical Storm) Olaf up the cortez side right after.

NORA 5 day forecast:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/EP14/refresh/EP1403W5+G...

OLAF 5 day forecast:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/EP15/refresh/EP1503W5+G...

ouch. i really want to tour around Baja, so someone make the hurricanes stop already. does anyone have any more info on predictions about the strength of these two upcoming storms? after Marty, i have to wonder how well Baja can 'weather the storm' (pardon the cliche) with two more.

i'm beginning to think that October isn't the greatest month for visiting -- guess i figured the crazy stuff would pass thru in Sept. i know baja has a hurricane season, but is this year's hugely abnormal or what? i hear the Cortez is perfect for diving in October, tho... so i'm a bit torn at the moment.

any insights are appreciated.

- muji

pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 10-4-2003 at 05:37 PM

Thanks, Great site, I am leaving Thurs for the Cape. I will add those to my list of sites to watch.
mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2003 at 07:12 PM
a sacrafice to the gods

Well, I have always heard that a "virginal sacrifice" always works to scare away the Huracan gods. The Aztecs were big on this.
But here, you would have to go to the 3rd grade to find one.
So much for that remedy.
Pray for winter, that's all that's left.
Saludos, mc

[Edited on 10-5-2003 by mrchuck]
Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2003 at 08:32 PM

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/ep200315.html

Both storms are expected to weaken considerable before they hit shore. The above link, however, should make many in the east cape a little edgy.

Let's just pray that Baja can avoid another heavy storm.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 03:53 AM
mrchuck

welcome back...or have I just overlooked your posts? You think a pastrami sandwich & Pacifico would be a reasonable offering? adios George
M_Man
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2003 at 08:51 AM
Nora and Olaf

Muji, We've missed 'em all over the last dozen years. We go to San Jose del Cabo every October, usually in the middle of the month. Only twice did storms get close enough to disrupt our fishing plans. (And one of those storms was in Sept 2001, the only time we went early)

One thing has been worrying me most of the Summer- almost everything in the Eastern Pacific has been running 4-6 weeks behind schedule. Sacramento River Salmon stayed offshore all summer, the Northerlies never appeared off Central California, water temps off Cabo were tardy warming up too.

We're due in SJD on Oct 12th, could be our year!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.