BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rattle Snake Anti Venom In Baja?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-9-2003 at 01:24 PM
Rattle Snake Anti Venom In Baja?

Since I have recently started taking the pooch to Baja, a number of these types of questions have been creeping into my head. So, anyone know about the avilability of anti-venom in Baja should the unthinkable happen? Both for dogs and people? In particular, what about Conception Bay area? If one were to get bit, would it be better to head to Mulege or Loreto...or run for the border?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-9-2003 at 02:37 PM

I asked around recently in Mulege and I could not find a vet, however there is one in Loreto next to the Red Cross.

Also, if you are in Southern California you might investigate rattlesnake avoidance training for your dog. http://www.patrickcallaghan.com/

Hope this helps....
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2003 at 06:45 PM

Okease do the followingin case of snakebite by a Rattler.
Always have a chaw of Beechnut Chewing Tabacco when in Rattlesnake country!
After the strike take a sharp sterileized Rasor blade and make about 1/8 inch crisscross incisions across the bite wound.
Use your mouth to suck as much blood and poison out of the wound, of course spittin it our of you mouth along with a good amount of Tobacy Juice.
Go to Loreto but lie down and try to keep your blood pressure down.
The above information is true and saved my Uncle Jerrys life many years ago.Skeet/Loreto
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2003 at 02:58 AM
Not a good Idea

I'm glade to hear Uncle Jerry survived. My guess it was not the fact he was sliced with a sharp insterment. And sucking the poision, not a good idea.

I was bitten when I was 17 yo. The guy who found me did what you recommended. The results were nerve damage to my hand from the cuts and he was in the next bed at the hospital with snake venom in his gums. He was very sick for several days.

The truth is something like 7000 people are bitten every year in the US, with only about 10 to 15 deaths.

The best way to go is stay calm. Apply a wide constricting band like an ace bandage, but do not apply it so tightly as to not have a pulse distal to the bite. Apply cold compress. But avoid frost bite. Rapid transport to the nearest medical.

No Cut
No Suck
No Beer :no:

From a Surviver

Socalz

[*] posted on 10-11-2003 at 12:31 PM

I'd have to agree with Sonora Wind that the "cutting and sucking" method of venom extraction is not recommended. Many herpetologists carry a Sawyer Extractor in the field http://www.sawyerproducts.com/Extractor , but they are most effective when used immediately after envenomation.

I don't know for sure, but with the price of antivenin being several hundered dollars per vial and some patients requiring several vials, I wouldn't expect too many Baja clinics to possess an adequate supply of antivenin, or have any at all. If bitten, I would probably seek medical attention at the nearest facility and arrange to be medevaced back to the U.S.

The best defense against snakebite would be to not be bitten in the first place. In snake country, be aware of your surroundings and use alittle common sense. Exercise caution in rocky areas, around abandoned buildings, and dumpsites where rattlesnakes seek shelter. Avoid overturning pieces of tin, plywood, lumber, car doors, etc. Keep your pets and children on a short leash!

Lots of snakebite photos at http://www.venomousreptiles.org/libraries/Snakebite%20Photos for those that are interested (not for the squeamish!)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-11-2003 at 01:06 PM

The most important thing to avoid doing is reaching into shaded places, you cannot see (wood, rock piles, holes). This will help you avoid scorpion stings as well. Two recent close encounters with rattle snakes I experienced was when snakes came to us! At Paulina's trailer near Camp Gecko and at Mision Santa Maria. What was surprising in both cases was that all the people, dogs, and noise/vibration did not deter the reptiles.

Over Easter Week/Spring Break, we came across three rattlesnakes. The first one was at the mission. The other two were just crossing the road ahead of us, and were left to continue their journey after a few photos and Sarah pretending to be Steve Irwin! See pics at http://davidksbaja.com/403

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.