Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Rosarito Beach to La Mision-1952 to1956--the early years
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 10:22 PM
Rosarito Beach to La Mision-1952 to1956--the early years

I am a little embarrassed to admit that we did a lot of "free diving" between Rosarita Beach and La Mision back in l952 thru 1956 and often came up from 8 to 15 feet down with a "bug" (lobster) in each hand, they were that plentiful. Abs (abalone) were so plentiful then that we normally did not even harvest them, except for maybe 3 or 4 a day for personal eating. Undoubtably we were "part of the problem" then, but we honestly did not know it. There were so many abs and lobster that it never occurred to us that they would "run out". (sound familiar??) Also, there were not that many "taking" them back then. There were no Mexican laws against it, either, that we knew of. But, we took too many lobster, that is for sure, and I and my friends got all our "gas and dating money" from the sale of Lobster to our friends and neighbors in the San Diego area. We took a LOT of lobster, and now I feel badly about it, but of course, it is now too late. (When I say a lot, we dove about twice a month, each time coming home with maybe 30 to 50 lobster. ) During that time, we did not notice any reduction in Lobster-----there always seemed to be plenty.

It is also interesting to note that the abs were very common right off the cliffs at La Jolla then, is less than 12 feet of water. Very few folks were taking them at that time. There were lobster, also, off La Jolla, but not as many as in the area mentioned above in Mexico.

We never took the big ones, tho, (lobster) as we somehow felt that they were breeders, or something, and even then we vaguely knew that it was not a good idea to take the big ones, or so we thought. We saw some monsters, but not that often, and like I say we left them alone----(besides, they were scary).

As for abs, we never took the small ones, vaguely feeling that it was not a good idea. Most of the ones that we "took" were in the 7 to 9 inch variety. Also, abs were hard to get as this predated "ab irons", I believe, at least we did not have any ab irons until later on in the late 50's and 60's. We used big Marine knives, or some used a small car leaf spring. It was tough getting them off the rocks, so we did not take that many. Lobsters were much easier, and they brought more money.

At that time I do not remember ever going south of Ensenada diving. We did go onto the San Pedro Martir plateau several times, and the mountains and desert of the Sierra Juarez, but that is about as far south as we got in those days. Later, I did go to the southern areas but not until the '70's, and not for diving. We were into exploring and fishing "mode" by then, mostly on the Sea of Cortez side-----San Felipe to Bahia Animas, mostly.

I have not dove for lobsters or abs for probably 30 years, or more.

In the early '80's. we did a lot of exploring of the Colorado River Delta area as there were floods for about 3 years, making the delta "come alive". We canoed and power-boated the river from the Mex/USA border down to the Sea of Cortez several times, harvesting fresh water clams, and just generally having a good time. The delta was like an African wildland park during those flood years. Billions of birds, coyotes, and all sorts of wildlife just came alive during those floods-----it was amazing!!! The local Mexicans thought we were crazy, but they sure helped us launch our boats and in general seemed to get a kick out of "crazy gringos" heading out into the wilds of the delta. They were always helpful in any way they could, and occasionally one or two would go with us on day trips in the power-boats (and they really enjoyed it)----but they never went with is when we went in canoes-----that was just stupid of us, from their point of view. We saw the tidal bores (waves) coming up the river at tide changes a few times, and that was awesome. They were pretty small---maybe 20 inches tall, but still very impressive. I loved that delta area, especially in the first few years after the flood, before the mosquitos got so bad. Later, the Mosquitos got so bad that I quit going.

That is about it. Barry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-25-2005 at 10:24 PM

Wonderful! Thanks Barry... these are great stories to read...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2005 at 01:18 PM

Thanks, David. I guess it was a long time ago, but it almost seems like yesterday.

I first went to Mexico, Ensenada actually, in 1946 with my Mom and her crazy friends. I was only 8 then, but I fell instantly in love with the place, and have been going back ever since I tuned 16, got my license, and bought a car. The border folks never gave me any problems, going or coming. Spent a lot of time in TJ in those days and it was great. Had a few problems, but never had any problems that I did not deserve just by being stupid.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-27-2005 at 06:27 PM

As long as it still seems like yesterday... KEEP WRITING!!! :light:

Muchas Gracias Barry!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2005 at 06:36 PM

Thank you Barry
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 8-27-2005 at 08:53 PM

Your confession is accepted! Take the lobsters that others have caught and return them to the Sea. :rolleyes: PS, and get out of town Fast! :O

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 08:55 PM

Thanks Barry,
As a newbie, of the stories I have read here, I enjoyed your the most.
We all know your "part" had little if anything to do with decline of the fisheries. It is called the big boys raping the seas. As adventurers, and we are few, our take is nothing on the world stage.
The unfortunate thing is they are more then willing to place limits on us,and the world Big Boys have few (if you can call it limits) and I'm not talking about just Mexicans. We must stop commercial fishing within 250 miles of any shore line. I don't know what I am talking about I know, but it sounds like a good ideal.
Albert
To clarify, there should be no limit on people and their personal food supply.

[Edited on 8-31-2005 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2005 at 11:39 AM
Thanks, Al G. I appreciate your comments. Barry

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.