Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nuts & Nets
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-28-2005 at 02:13 PM
Nuts & Nets

Never thought I would even try to write a trip report when you consider all of the heavy hitters who post here??????????Well here it is.

Heading to Las Rosas for Lu Ann?s B?day and I noticed five semi trucks and trailers stopped in the fast lane just south of El Sasial (spelling). Wow! Look at that they are carrying a huge net draped over the cap of the first truck and extending over, over the next cab, etc until it was draped over 300 feet and four trucks. Traffic was at a standstill because the load of net from the 5th semi had become loose and had fallen into the traffic lanes. Huge! Is the only word I can use to describe this twisted mess of ropes and floats, over two feet long, that dangled over and around these 65 foot long trucks. It immediately came to my mind that these nets were destined for the TUNA farms just a little north of this location. Traffic was a total mess?but, hey! We were going south and so it was no problem for us.

About three hours later we were heading back north to Keri and Mike?s Pyramid Resort and then it became our problem. A huge crane was attempting to hoist the tail end of this more than huge net back onto the last truck so that it could continue it?s snake dance north. The ropes that made up the ?net? were over an inch in diameter?I thought back to watching the tuna fishermen in San Diego work on their nets which were less than an eighth of an inch around. Wow! Guess 2,000 pound Tuna really need to be penned in before their silent trip to Tokyo.

When you tell your friends about the tuna farms in Baja now you can put a size to them.
Huger than huge.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 8-28-2005 at 03:48 PM

Glad you are able to get south Bernie. Ive pulled up and watched them feed the tuna in the pens. Its enough to get me to a full boil when the fish charge the feed boat.
The super seiners are out busy off of Ensenada wrapping YFT, they have been at it for atleast 2 weeks now. They have really put a damper on the tuna coming up the line.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-28-2005 at 07:22 PM
Frank

Nice to hear from you. I bet the Tuna bites are almost gone
Damn it is hot here in Santee---It was 90 just north of Ensenada yesterday--Nutty

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 8-28-2005 at 09:10 PM

East County, all the heat and none of the Baja. :biggrin:
Bernie, Im going fishing midweek. If Im lucky, would you like some fresh fish? I think I still have some Thresher shark left too. Let me know.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2005 at 11:13 PM
domino effect

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
Glad you are able to get south Bernie. Ive pulled up and watched them feed the tuna in the pens. Its enough to get me to a full boil when the fish charge the feed boat.
The super seiners are out busy off of Ensenada wrapping YFT, they have been at it for atleast 2 weeks now. They have really put a damper on the tuna coming up the line.

You ain't seen nuttin' yet! Hail the fleet as they bring in the heavy guns to intercept the migrating tuna.
Nobody gives a ratsass cause , hey, it's Mexico.:lol::lol::lol:

Don't worry though as soon as the baitfish(sardine & anchovy) support ships start fueling the gathered up tuna for fattening, the problem will become exponential and shared by many "farther up the chain"

Never, I repeat never, let the Asian fishing(or foreign) fleet dominate a domestic fishery. The ramifications may be huge.

Maybe a few Mexicans can make a buck repairing the nets.:lol: Are Mexicans workin' for the tuna fleet?
I doubt the crew is Mexican but I could be wrong. Frank, what say you? Did you see Mexicans out there working?

Talking to a Canadian fisherman tonight. He told me he left Vancouver 23 days earlier and had finally caught enough tuna to unload. Said it's "scary out there".

[Edited on 8-29-2005 by Sharksbaja]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.