Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I have a Gas problem.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

lol.gif posted on 8-29-2005 at 07:19 PM
I have a Gas problem.

dose any one know if there is a problem with taking extra gasoline across the border from Mexico to the USA?

I am going to be going to Colorado soon and I have a big 45 gallon tank that sets in the bed of my pickup and I would like to fill it before crossing at T.J. :?::?:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 07:25 PM

If it is a tank designed for fuel, how could that be a problem?

In the old days of 29 cent Pemex diesel, my friend had a VW diesel with an extra big tank and went to TJ to fill up every time he needed more...

[Edited on 8-30-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 07:25 PM

its not a problem bruce, i have a friend that crosses at tecate all the time to fill up on diesal and bring it home. taking it down is a different story.:coolup:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
its not a problem bruce, i have a friend that crosses at tecate all the time to fill up on diesal and bring it home. taking it down is a different story.:coolup:

Do you know which station he fills up at?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 07:56 PM

Going to the US probably not a problem - coming into Mex. it could be - allowed to bring fuel in "Factory installed" tanks only. Not that they pay much attention except for cans. I could ask when I cross in Mexicali on Thurs but it's probably too late by then.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 08:12 PM

Many RV'ers have cross bed tanks in front of the 5th wheel connector.
Some are bigger than 45 gallons and not factory installed; no problemo !
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 08:35 PM

I just herd that gas might be in short supply up there over the big weekend and I don't want to get caught in the middle of Utah with out some.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 08:39 PM
Cheaper?

Bruce, watch out , the price of gas here/there may be disproportionate and may behoove you to chk daily pump prices.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 8-29-2005 at 09:45 PM

Bruce,
At today's prices every little bit helps.
When you have to buy north of the border this may help.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/
I use it to plan my fuel stops.
Al G

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 08:00 AM

Jerry cans are a problem going either way, but if it at least looks like it's permanently installed, it may work. I had 5 cans on my roof rack coming back thru TKT after the B1K, was asked about them, said they were empty and got waved thru ok.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 09:26 AM
Northbound Gas

Back in the late 70s during the last U.S. gas crisis, my buddy would bring back a filled 55 gallon drum of Mex Gas on each return trip from Gonzaga. This was during the time when U.S. vehicles were flooding across the border to fill up. The Mexicans built an exit checkpoint in Mexicali to check U.S. vehicles leaving Baja.

On one such trip he was inspected and told that he couldn't take the gas across. Asking what he could do with it, they replied "No Se". He offered it to them. "No". He then pulled out of line and went back into Mexicali, offering it for free to anyone without success. He then pulled onto a deserted back road and rolled it off of the truck bed before heading back to wait another hour + in line.

I suppose if the disparity in price and supply between U.S. and Mexico appears again, we'll see those exit checkpoints manned.

On all of those trips, the U.S. Customs never had a problem with the bulk gas. No idea what the law actually reads, though.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2005 at 10:42 AM

thanks all of you for the good info.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.