Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Pithaya
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 03:58 PM

Pompano, pitahayas--both sweet and tart--have teensy little black seeds, evenly scattered throughout flesh that's usually bright red when ripe. You're the only person I've ever heard of who prefers the sweet ones, so maybe you're thinking of something else?.

Judy, I've thought about doing a complete study of the Second Harvest, but to be valid that would require a Ph.D. or at least an MA.

Chemistry would do nicely. Braulio? Pam? Here's your chance to carry out a project that would make you famous or infamous. Whichever.

Lera
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 04:21 PM

Pompano
Looks like a cherimoya to me...also a great fruit, kind of custardy. The big seeds are kind of a drag, though.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 04:59 PM

Elizabeth
Guanabana is the local name for cherimoya. The local popcicles still have the seeds in them
And Yes Pampano that is a guanabana/cherimoya.
I really love the fruit. Have a tree in my yard but it has yet to produce. It is a mix of apple and pear taste...really yummy.

provecho

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 05:05 PM

Bajajudy
Thanks...don't know why I never made the flavor connection!!!! When I read your message, it was one of those light bulb moments. I always ate "cherimoyas" fresh and "guanabanas" in juice...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 07:03 PM

Cherimoya and guanabanas are related annonas (custard apples), but not the same. Soursop is another name for guanabana if I recall correctly... Cherimoyas are from western South America (Chile to Ecuador) and are grown also here in Southern California (Vista). Beautiful large trees with vevety green leaves, when rubbed smell like lemon...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 07:55 PM

Sweet pitaya start about late June and August from Santa Rosalia on south. The indians generally preferred these and they are much larger, juicier, and as the name implies sweeter. The missionaries were really frustrated because the indians would not work at that time of the year and would lay around and gorge themselves on the fruit. Some suggested that if eaten really ripe that they would ferment really quickly so there may have been some alcohol content to the fruit.
Sour pitaya come in a little later, like October in the south of Baja and a little later in the north. We have picked them around Santa Rosalia in early November to mid november. While called sour, they are pretty good too even if they are not quite as sweet. We cut them in half and eat the insides with a spoon.
I made a really fancy contraption to pick them from the cactus plants but was out one day just outside of La Ventana, when an old man came by and was laughing at the fruit I was picking. It has to be picked exactly when it is ripe, as one day late and it breaks open, and the birds eat the whole thing within a day or so. Picked too green and you are going to get a stomach ache and they don't taste very good. Anyway, he had taken an alumunim can, cut off the top, made 2 to 3 inch slots down the sides, and then used this as a grabbing tool. He showed me that when the fruit is ripe, the thorn clusters fall off fairly easily, which he did with a twig, while holding the fruit in his home made picker.
Once cleaned, they will last quite awhile in the refrigerator and we have tried several times to keep them over two weeks, but they always seem to disappear.
Finally, the guide to Baja plants has a good reference to the "second harvest" and I have seen it in several books. I used to teach on the Apache Reservation in Arizona and that was also a common practice with the prickly pear buds which are similar and a slightly larger seed.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 08:52 PM

DK
You are correct. I have labored under the misconception that cherimoya was also soursop.
So many fruits so little time

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 08:57 PM

Annona muricata
Annona cherimola

Can we get the chemists in on this?

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2005 at 09:42 PM
the first pitahaya i ever tasted...

was at the inspection station above san felipe on a really hot day...as i sat in the passenger seat of my buddys car one of the soldiers was munching away on one of these,he looked over to see me drooling and offered me and my buddy one...unbelievably good,especially on a hot day:tumble:

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2005 at 09:20 AM
today from El Univeral

Fruit seeds fight dengue

October 08, 2005

VERACRUZ Scientists in this Gulf coast city have discovered that seeds from the tropical fruit guanabana are a powerful insecticide against the mosquito responsible for transmitting the dengue virus, even eliminating the insect's larvae.

"This bio-insecticide not only is more effective than the traditional pesticides, but also is light resistant and less harmful to the environment," researchers at the University of Veracruz told EFE Thursday.

Molecular biologist Veronica Dom?nguez said this natural insecticide to be used against the Aedes aegypti mosquito that transmits the dengue virus could be used to control dengue outbreaks worldwide.

After several tests of natural extracts and store-bought chemical insecticides, the researchers found that the seeds of the guanabana a fruit with a hard, green skin and white, juicy pulp contained the lethal agent.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), two-fifths of the world's population are at risk of dengue infection and more than 100 countries have been hit by classic or hemorrhagic dengue outbreaks.

The WHO estimates that some 50 million people come down with classic and hemorrhagic dengue fever each year. A total of 500,000 are hospitalized with the disease and 20,000 die annually.

Dom?nguez said one of the main problems in fighting the spread of dengue is the resistance that the Aedes aegypti mosquito has developed to traditional pesticides, as well as its rapid adaptation to different environments.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.