BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Returning U.S. Parrot to the U.S.
greybaby
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 9-8-2005 at 10:24 PM
Returning U.S. Parrot to the U.S.

Just wanted to let anyone who might want to know for future reference that we successfully crossed the border with our African Grey parrot back into the U.S. with no problem. Had our CITES passport for her as well as the health certificate required by the USDA and it only took an hour (was expensive though!!). When we went into secondary for the inspection, several border patrol agents came around to wait and see how this process would work. They told us that 99% of the people trying to cross with birds don't have the right paperwork. We found that out the hard way ourselves and thankfully everything was right this time. So, just wanted to pass on that it is possible and no quarantine was required. Only 30 day in our home quarantine which is nothing. So all you parrot lovers out there take heart. It can work. We faxed our documentation to them ahead of time and they assured us we were good to go. And it was true. :bounce:
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 06:31 AM

You must be extremely relieved.
I have never heard of anyone making it back with their birds.
Thanks for the report

greybaby
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 08:42 AM

Thanks bajajudy. I am SO relieved. Didn't have much faith in the system but found out it actually works. Will be back and forth a lot, we hope, to visit our friends and our house, but our parrot will not be going. Not worth the hassle or the worry. Don't know if I'll be so lucky the next time through!!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 11:28 AM

I'm glad to hear that you made it through. We also had our paperwork in order, an appt. made and were still refused to cross, and denied the option of home quarantine. I have a feeling it was the officer in charge who didn't know what she was doing.

A year earlier when we crossed into the Calif. border from Arizona we were given the home quarantine option without a problem.

Like you, I wouldn't try to cross with her again.

P.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2005 at 11:36 AM

Glad to hear that the system for CITES works. I have friends that work for customs and most are not even training in CITES. If the US is going to recognize the convention, it should train its people more thoroughly.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.