Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: TJ-Border Route?
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 07:10 PM
TJ-Border Route?

We are traveling back through TJ (coming from Ensenada). What is going on with the access turn-off over to the border fence. I understand it was closed a couple of weeks back, has it re-opened? Or should we turn-off before the bridge, and go to the bottom of the hill to make the "old u-turn" then back up the hill?
We are trailering back two boats, and want to avoid the traffic of going through town.:o
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 07:17 PM

yep...
turn at the OLD turn-off..go to the bottom of the hill...make the old u-turn..the back up the hill...signs look permanent

You can go straight..thru town..stay in the middle lane...then you'll be at the curve thet takes you to the border.

The boats may make it hard driving thru town but it's mostly straight.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 07:23 PM

I drove to San Diego Saturday from Ensenada on the toll road and everything was normal. No detours, no signs.
pokey
Nomad

Mood: sun burned

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 07:23 PM

oops! that was me.

Keep Mexico weird
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2005 at 07:29 PM

Thanks for the update...I would normally come back thru Tecate, but the guys want to go to TJ with the boats...
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 05:57 PM

As of 9am this morning the exit was still blocked off.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 08:35 PM

So, when returning home we want to take the former off ramp BEFORE crossing the bridge, that goes down to the 'circle TJ expressway'... make that U turn to go UP the hill... and that's that?!

Dave, did they at least put a sign back on the former exit saying San Diego or ?

Can you tell why they closed the newer, direct off ramp?

[Edited on 9-15-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 09:01 PM

The design of that ramp left a little something to be desired, like another 200 yards of merge lane. I have seen more then a few near accidents from people bombing up the hill from the east at excessive speed and folks merging into thru lanes agressively. Then someone will slam on their brakes and.........when there had been lots of traffic we had started using the old way just to be safe anyhow.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-14-2005 at 09:13 PM

Thanks Matt!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-15-2005 at 07:27 PM

Can someone give me good directions to get back to border...I dont know(or remember) the "old way." Came back last weekend, and the off ramp was still blocked. Got lost trying to find my way back. I am making the same trip this weekend and would love some advise.
Thanks
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 11:45 AM

11:00 AM Saturday the 17th. Off ramp still closed.

Did not notice any work: ie, reconfigure,alteration,etc.

Did notice eveidence of guardrail damage. Car headin westbound from Tecate side did not make turn east toward TJ plowed thru three guardrails and over the side. Ouch.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 04:08 PM
Directions

...as you start up the hill toward downtown TJ from Playas de TJ, be aware that the right hand turn we always used to make before the freeway overpass is active again. You watch for signs to San Diego (5) and you turn right. You go down the offramp to a center divider and then make a left turn.

If you never get off the road from Playas, don't worry, that is second street and if you stay on it, it will take you through the downtown area (including Revolution & Second) and lead you to the border anyway.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-17-2005 at 04:31 PM

You go down the offramp to a center divider and then make a (U-turn) left turn.

Sorry... U-Turn at the bottom at the gas station.

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.