Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: police or military check points
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-14-2003 at 02:33 AM
police or military check points

Hi folks,

I read about military/police check points on MEX1 south of Loreto and other places in Baja. The police looks for drugs and fire arms. I read about cases where the corrupt police puts drugs in your car and you have to pay the comida for not getting big problems... is this true? I thought, this was part of the past... does it still happen?

Thanks.
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 10-14-2003 at 04:34 AM
checkpoints

Anon,
ANYTHING can happen in Mexico. The checkpoints are manned by mostly young soldiers. They are more curious than anything else and like looking at your stuff. I drove through four check points last week.........be cool:cool: they won't hassle you. CJ
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-14-2003 at 08:52 AM

Paying "comida" may not be too bad. I'd suggest the fish tacos. Paying mordida may be a bit of a problem and takes some finesse. In any event, not to worry - if you don't have drugs or arms. I usually dispense sodas, trail mix, fruit, etc. at these checkpoints to make their day.
jide
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2003 at 03:15 PM
cashonyou

I've been through these checkpoints many, many times, without any problems, except one time, my girlfriend left a $20 bill in the side pocket of her bag, and only after stopping later on the road we realized it was gone after they went through her bag, so I'd sugest to keep any cash on you. other than that, these young guys are overall nice and easygoing.
gerald
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2003 at 01:35 PM

These checkpoints can be fun. One of the soldiers was going through the back of my cabover camper and found my wooden duck caller. He thought it was a marijuana pipe. I showed him how it worked and told him that's how we call to the "chicas" on the beach. They laughed and waved us through.
Bob H
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2003 at 05:04 PM

Next time you have a couple of hours to kill, when they ask you where you are coming from say Sinaloa.:lol:

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-18-2003 at 10:31 PM
checkpoints

Last March we were camping at Papa's-Gonzaga for a week.
There was a checkpoint (permanent) just below the road to Papa's so every time we went to the store at Campo Grande or to Alfonsina's we had to stop and have the 12 year old kid with the automatic rifle come and write down our license.
So, after a couple of days I asked one of the kids if there was a speed limit on the road down to the store. He grinned and said he did not think so.
I was kind of showing off for some of my green horn buddies so I did a "revista" of my racing days and drove the pickup 85 mph all the way to the store and then back to the checkpoint.
Well, that earned me a long talk (not very friendly) with the commandante.
Guess the best answer is make little dust and have a cold soda ready to pass out the window...
Otherwise, we have had no hassles. Just smile and say no when they ask if you really need that piece of gear they are lusting over.

Baja Vida!!
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2003 at 10:37 PM

?Otherwise, we have had no hassles. Just smile and say no when they ask if you really need that piece of gear they are lusting over.?

Do you mean to say no, that you don?t need the piece of equipment, or do you mean to say no, they may not have it?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 09:15 AM
Just say no

Point well taken on the semantics...
One night walking back to the ship in Norfolk one of my buddies was picked up by a pretty friendly guy, who got even more friendly and said "do you like to play while you drive?" and my buddy said "No. Stop the car!!"
The wording was imprecise but the message was clear (I think)
When I say no in Mexico, it is with furrowed brow, repeated head shakes side to side and repeated use of the single word.... to date no one has misunderstood..

Baja Vida!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.