BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Language barrier or easement?
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 06:56 PM

i have had no formal education on speaking spanish or
mexican but i have leaned enoff to get by i canot read or wright a word of iti learn more and more every time i spend time there
i will learn to read and write it when i can spend enoff time there to take a class
how ever i do try to impress on my mexican friends that they and at least there children need to learn english not for me because i well learn their language but for them becouse the gringo buck is erned easyer with english i feel it is the number one thing that a parent can do for there childrens future. have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 07:49 PM

Sharkster---just add an O at the end of every word. Ja, ja. No, seriously, the Mexicans take it as a compliment if you try to use spanish in Mexico. They will help you all they can. Another idea---why not find a Mexican that speaks a little english and offer to teach him english if he teaches you spanish. This really works out good for both sides. There is no shortage of Mexicans that want to learn more english. Verbs and irregular verbs can be maddening. There are phrases you can learn to help eliminate their use. For instance en la semana proxima or dos meses pasada. As you continue to use your spanish with your Mexican friends you will pick it up fast. Worried about not knowing enough spanish words? Well, fear not, you don't know all the english words either. Spanish is alot like sex---use it or lose it.:tumble:

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 08:27 PM

Oso
I see the difference as the accent. In Spanish the accent can change the meaning of the word. And there is something about the accent being on the next to the last sylable that make the words all run together like one big word.
English on the other hand is basically flat. We seem to use accents to play an emotion not as part of the pronunciation of the word. And with the accent on the last sylable, it is easy to hear when the word ends. So you can start processing the meaning of it.
Anyway with my southern accent it all becomes a moot point.

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 09:13 PM

theres been a lot of logging going on in or and wash and there very hard workers so im sure theres work for them tree planting and i know a lot of loggers that will hire mexicans over a gringo if there at least one of them that speakes some english (teach them logging mostly the grunt work at first) any pay the same as the gringos because the gringos wont work or theres a lot of them on drugs and dont show upi talked to a logger a while back he had to yarder crews and he said we was having trouble with his ppl being on drugs said he was going to do ramdom drug teasting
half the crews said i quit and the next day he had only one yarder crew have a good one

jerry and judi
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 11:32 PM

One thing I think they need to emplement in the schools up north, is teaching spanish at an earlier age. Like in the 3rd or 4th grade. At that age the mind of a child is like a sponge, unlike mine which probably resembles a prune. My grandson who is 11 years old picked almost as much spanish as I know, just spending a month here.

I do agree with Judy. Sometimes it seems as if there is no beginning or end to words when spoken by mexicans. I suppose we sound the same to them.

I did take Latin for two years in school. Its hard to find a Roman to talk to.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2005 at 11:53 PM
Second language

It makes perfect sense in America to be bi-lingual and teach it mandatorally . Look how well the Europeans did.:P
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 09:53 AM

Sometimes things defy discription in any language. Fishing/catching is a perfect example.
Catching a fish is easier done than said. We don?t actually ?Catch? a fish. In any language the activity (with hook and line) is complete after 3 things happen. First we must ?Hook? the fish, then reel it in (or pull it in with a hand line) to the shore or boat, bring it onto the shore, into the boat or release it back into the water. Since no one word will suffice for 3 separate actions and since we are lazy when it comes to language we settle for a word to almost describe part of the process.
I find it ironic that Spanish speaking people go about vocalizing the activity in the exact same, incorrect way. Most Mexican fishermen I meet use the term Trampa, ?trap?. They will not use the Spanish words for ?hook?, ?catch?, ?capture?, ?kill?, ?take or take out? or ?grab?.
Our misuse of either language only costs us more verbiage because, when pressed, we must tell the whole story: ?I caught 4 nice fish, which I kept; hooked two more but lost them, got another small one to the boat, released it.?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 10:15 AM

Osprey, thanks for dotting the I's and crossing the T's.

See I don't even know how to write THAT correctly. I's & T's?

You made your point!
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 10:33 AM

Took spanish a little in high school, then in the 80's took a trip to Mazatlan and was driving acorss a flodded vada in a river and thought "I don't even know how to say "Help" in Spanish". took adult school classes for a year or so and still knew very little.

Moved to San Felipe 10 years ago and just tried to use the little I knew. Worked OK for me. Little by little I progress. My mexican friends will correct me and I often ask them for the Spanish word for something. But I long ago noticed many common words are synonyms for the one used in English example - vendor/vende/etc - in English business vendor is a commonly used word for someone selling. Many more examples if I just think a little.

As long as I keep trying, I will make a little progress.

:saint:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 10:36 AM

On the Mexican learing English subject, I have a Mex. friend who bought a house in Mexicali so his son can go to high school there as he feels thay have a better English language program there. He believes English is very important living in Baja or most of Mexico.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 03:17 PM

I always thought the best way to learn Spanish was to find a Mexican girlfriend - but my wife doesn't agree.

Sigh ...

:spingrin:

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 05:11 PM
That Works !

I had a close pal that broke up with his wife and moved in with a Latina. She would coach him each day in Spanish and he really improved. Unfortunately, he got back together with the wife and the lessons stopped.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 06:23 PM

Now we're getting to the crux of the matter. That is exactly how I learned.:biggrin:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2005 at 06:27 PM
kids learning a language

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaden
Like in the 3rd or 4th grade. At that age the mind of a child is like a sponge, unlike mine which probably resembles a prune. My grandson who is 11 years old picked almost as much spanish as I know, just spending a month here.

A child's ability to pick up language and mimic sounds perfectly is truly amazing. I don't know how much research has been done on this subject, but I believe there is a lot for us to learn.

When I was five I was sent to Switzerland by the International Red Cross to stay with some people. At that time I could speak 3 languages. I was sent to live with German speaking folks for the summer months (3 months). By the time I returned I spoke German but had forgotten the other 3 languages. I met my parents at the train station and could no longer communicate with them. I had to hear the old words again and make the connection. So you learn fast and forget just as fast.

The young brain also has good pitch recognition. No mispronounciation from the start. The word sounds right from the first time it's said. Perfect mimicry. Somewhere between 10 and 13 you lose it. Ever hear a German that's lived in the states for all of his adult life. That accent just never goes away. No matter how they try you know their origin the minute they open their mouths.

Humans are fascinating!
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-20-2005 at 12:59 AM

Great points by everyone. There's an answer there somewhere. In the meantime I'll just allow Omar to continue laughing at me.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.