Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Agua Caliente and Vibora Canyons - Prt. One
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 11-16-2002 at 11:09 PM
Agua Caliente and Vibora Canyons - Prt. One

Agua Caliente and Vibora Canyons

With a three day weekend coming up, we headed for Baja with 15 unfortunate people in eight vehicles following behind us on a Desert Explorers trip. It was unfortunate, because we were going through Mexicali. Not a bad town, but confusing for a young country boy like me. Sure enough, a couple of miles south of the border, we hit a construction detour on the main drag south. Not a big deal if you don?t have an eight vehicle tail, but it makes life interesting for the Baja virgins when they are lost in the intervening traffic. We all had CB?s or half the people would still be there. I?m proud of them, a few whimpers were heard, but no one got lost.

Our main goal was to visit Rancho Agua Caliente, Baja Almanac page N-10 right hand page, (actual GPS 31 deg. 40.32 min. ? 115 deg. 38.66 min. NAD 27 Mexico) written up in the July, 1951 issue of Desert Magazine. At that time, it was a Pai Pai Indian camp. The pictures showed palm trees, Pai Pai cowboys, and a pond fed by a spring.

We turned off of Hwy. 2 and ran down the middle of Laguna Salada, past the entrance to Canyon Guadalupe, and onward another 30 miles past Canyons Palomar and Isabel, zoomed by Cajabuzo Junction, and on to the Campo La Victoria Junction (31 deg. 45.6 min. ? 115 deg. 33.4 min.). This is at the bottom of left hand page N-8 of the Baja Almanac on an unmarked road. A hundred yards before that was a road southwest I had explored in 1980 as far as the mouth of the canyon, and I now thought it went to the canyon that Agua Caliente was in. We took it and in three miles were indeed in the right canyon ? ain?t GPS grand? Would have saved a lot of gas in the old days! The wind was howling down the canyon, and it was time to camp, so we retreated back to the junction for the night to the beautiful sand wash of Canyon Alamito where the roads splits off east to La Victoria or goes further south to the bottom of ?Summit? as the racers know the top of Alamito.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-17-2002 at 08:20 AM

Neal:

What, if any, legal considerations have to be made to use CB radios in Mexico?

And if it needs to be differentiated: What's the law; and what's the reality?

--
Doug
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 11-17-2002 at 07:32 PM
CB Radios

Doug,
There used to be info on Fred's board on the required channels to use and paperwork required, but I can't find it.

The reality:
No one, no one, has ever checked or remarked about CB, ham, or FRS radios in hundreds of vehicle crossing I have been with. It's a free for all just like here.:D

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.