Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2005 at 03:11 PM

:lol: Damn girlie boys!
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2005 at 03:13 PM
Road kill

Paying attention may be a fine formula at 5 miles an hour, but on a curve in the dark things happen rather too quickly for that one to be helpful.

Driving Baja at night is a bit like Russian roulette: Timing and luck.

The thing about the younger animals is true. Be especially alert if they are on both sides of the road, as the mothers and young will often bolt toward each other when startled.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 9-20-2005 at 03:31 PM

RE; Paying attention!

When I hit that goat, I was paying attention, driving at or below the speed limit, it was broad daylight and I still never saw the thing, the bump was the only reason I looked in my mirror and saw the goat laying on the road.

I stopped and walked back but it was dead, so I dragged it off the road and looked around for a possible owner. There wasn't a human or man-made structure in sight (and I hadn't seen either for about 20 minutes).

Of course when you hit something with a 10 ton Class A doing 50 mph, it has to be bigger than a goat to slow you down. There was absolutely no damage to my coach or toad. I figure that my right front tire on the coach got it. After the rear duals crossed over it, there wasn't much left.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2005 at 06:16 PM

When lived in Lubbock, TX there was a guy who had a lion and a tiger on his ranch. It was a party place for big groups, hayrides etc. Anyway he said the sherif and Highway Patrol would call him when they had deer killed and he would feed it to the animals. Kept his cost for food down. You could pet the tiger thru a special fence setup with him there. I was looking out the game room which was next to the tiger lot and the tiger raised up on it's hind legs with both paws above the window looking in. Looked like it was 9 feet tall.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2005 at 06:24 PM

Killed a cow a couple of years ago coming down from the mountains at night. Came around a curve and she bolted out from the trees in front of me. I hit the brakes and slid about 8-10 feet and bam. left front bumper guard hit her.
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2005 at 06:37 PM
Road kill

Just lucky. I have well over a hundred passages over the highway, both before and since the full paving. I have a night-hit cow and 2 horses. I'm a day guy now. Too flippin' old to see at night anyway.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2005 at 06:50 PM

We hit a shopping cart in the Von's parking lot once and broke the grill. We blamed it on a Baja Cow. (sounds way cooler than the truth) Does that count?

I have had a close encounter with a black cow while driving at night (e-gads). I know better, so no lectures.

There are plenty of deer up here that we keep an eye out for. Our freezer isn't big enough.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
You know, of course, in this "Enlightened Era" we are living in that no such meat is allowed in any governmental institutions.
Whether a clean kill on the road, or even when we hire state licensed hunters to clean out the deer eating our young nursery stock, none can be used for human consumption.
Ah, the State of California, such a wonderful state (of confusion) we have become!.

DK---- did you call them 'vado vacas"???

Runner, when I operated a privite license pheasant club, I got to know several of the game wardens. Nice guys who went out of their way for me at a time when I needed it. But thats another story. They let it slip that they ate venison regularly. I wonder where they got it? Hmmmm.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 11:40 AM

As a kid in Lyle, WA. my dad was the owner of the local grocery store/butcher shop/Freezer Lockers. He was also the local game warden. Whenever he caught a poacher we would butcher/package/freeze the game and put it in the local school's meat lockers for school lunches.

As a student at that local school I never saw any cuts of game of any kind on the lunch menu, although some times we would sometimes get venison or bear stew or hamburgers.

I'll bet the school kitchen staff and teachers were eating pretty good though!

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 01:10 PM
TW

You Actually lived in Lubbock Texas???

Several years ago virginia and I on a nght trip across Pacheo Pass between Los Banos and Gilroy came across a young female cougar that had been struck and was laying on the pavement. The car that hit the animal had called the CHP. We removed said Cat from the road and awaited the Fuzz. he arrived ,loaded into the tunk of the Cruiser and left.

I ask him if I might have it to Skin, he said; all Road Kills such as this go to the Game Warden.
I would bet that it is in his Den at Home!!
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 06:47 PM

Some jobs do have their priviliges. Being a game warden is not an easy job. It can be a dangerous job too. Their dealing with people with guns. There are a few nut cases out there. Had a few of them in my club.

Lousy shots though.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 10:30 PM

During elk season here it gets a little more dangerous. These large animals skirt our property and when they travel they travel en masse. Usually a scout will come off the hill, cross the road and hurtle the fence and into a field directly in front of our home. Somehow the others know when to cross next when "the coast is clear".
Sometimes a dozen cars will stop to admire the herd typically with at least one bull present . Their awesome posture and boldness always intrigues me. Elk will follow historic paths that former generations used. Whether a clear-cut or a highway they stay the course.
As long as the spectators along the road mind their business, distance and movement the elk will continue to graze, but always with one eye keeping alert as well as a "sentry", normally a watchful older bull keeping his distance. Then without any further ado they're off across the field, down the drop-off and across the river. The water being high and fast does little to slow they charge. A rare sight to see. I shouldn't take it for granted. Life ..........................................................................is good.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 10:36 PM

Last year my friend had an elk clear the hood of his truck while driving. The elk leaped and almost cleared the entire roadway and kept on goin' like nothing happened. The same thing happened to a couple who weren't so fortunate. The elk landed on the cab and crushed them both while going 60 mph few years back. This time of year we see more and more deer, particularily little ones feeding along the roads. Mom's always nearby.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 11:06 AM

Sounds like a good trip, Whistler! Guess that just shows to go ya that our Mexican neighbors get around.......kinda like our own fishermen. You go where ya gotta go. Too bad that means traveling so many miles from home.

Real life Nomads?

Shrimp has been good this ano. What's the call onsebastes sp. for the next year?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 01:01 PM

Interesting to hear what happens with the rockfish Whistler. Most is coming out of Canada these days. That just puts that much more pressure on their grounds I'd think. I had a Canadian tuna skipper in the other night. Told me it took 3 weeks to connect zig-zagging the 100-200 mile line. Not too happy. Cost of fuel, ouch!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 01:04 PM

I hear that 90% of the Oystermen and a big chunk of shrimpers are out of biz for now in the Gulf area disaster.; Now look whats coming! Better get a bigger gas tank. Today!:O
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 01:58 PM
Gulf Shrimping

What about Forrest Gump ?
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 02:05 PM

He went down with his boat.

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 9-23-2005 at 10:27 PM

Four of us were walking the sidewalk to a restaurant in San Jose del when we came upon a disaster on the road. Yikes! a downed cow!
Now abreast of the scene, the mess was terrible. Cow down, had a "finished" look in her eyes, the pickup truck was in a sorry state, dented with the bumper off and various appendages belonging to it strewn over the asphalt. We carried on as the driver picked up the pieces.
Having one last look as we finally passed on revealed the stricken cow was now up and trotting off the road and into the field while the driver was still looking for truck parts.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.