Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: AQUAS MALOS, STINGIES or WHATEVER
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 09:22 AM
AQUAS MALOS, STINGIES or WHATEVER

I like to know what they really are. Have heard lots of versions. I'm rather allergic to the stings, or whatever they are. The stinging sensation goes away after an hour or so, but then, the next day, I will develop a rash with severe itching. That rash will stay with me for several days and sometimes will blister. Any information about the cause and a remedy or prevention ( without wearing a suit ) will be appreciated:?::?::?:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 09:37 AM
Biting Critters

I assume you're talking about those tiny "Translucent" whitish critters that appear in the water near shore when the temp goes up in the summer. We usually get a real infestation of those in the estero at Percebu. This year was an exception. We got a few in late May, but that was about it. I get "bit" all the time, but have no reaction beyond the initial stinging. I have asked and asked again over the years about remedies or prevention, but never got anything useful.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 09:54 AM

There is a salve that the doctor here in my village recommended as I get the blisters too. I just looked and dont have a tube but I would guess that someone near you would also know of this remedy...it worked immediately!

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 9-21-2005 at 10:45 AM
Ouuchh....

Vandenberg....I hope you never get stung by those things... there are several species of these in the Gulf of Baja California...

The "Agua Mala" (jelly fish) and "Rosario" (a string with a lot of small spheres) are the most common ones near the shore. I have seen grown adults get stung by these and cry because of the pain...

The elders of my family say that if you apply vinager where they stung you, it helps relieves the pain and counteract the acid venum they inject.

Good luck... and keep away from them...

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 9-21-2005 by BajaCactus]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 08:29 AM

While cleaning out under my bathroom sink yesterday, I ran across the salve that the doctor here recommended for just about any kind of skin irritation, including aguas malas

GELMICIN

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 08:42 AM

http://www.safesea.net/

My wife swims in the ocean every day at home. When there are stinging meanies in evidence she uses this product. She has not been stung while using it.

elgatoloco
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 09:28 AM

If you get stung...or actually, when you get stung...try windex! It works! Probably something in it will eventually kill you, though. I just saw some salve at a dive shop that contains lidocaine...that would probably work...but, at $10 a little tube, I'll stick with windex.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 11:47 AM

We were swimming north of Mulege during Semana Santa and were all stung by invisible critters. Thinking welts would form I got prepared to apply something. Then all of a sudden the mild to medium stinging sensation diminished and so it had with the others. What the heck were those, we never saw em.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 02:00 PM
Stings

Same for me. I've been stung time and time again over the years and 30 seconds later, it's as if it never happened.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 07:23 PM

Muleg? has civilized critters.

They want to tell you that they are there and in charge, not to damage you permanenty.

Ran into some the other night, had to get out of the water and then the pain went away.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 09:00 PM
Civilized Critters

Back in 91 and again in 92, the wife and I were staying at a Hotel up in the hills above Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI and there were these pesky little mosquitos constantly annoying us during the day, but when we turned out the lights and went to bed at night, they disappeared.

Now That's Civilized.
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 09:12 PM

I got stung about a half-dozen times last year. Mostly around the ankles, and most times couldn't see anything, even in clear water. They didn't go away right away, but only itched. I didn't put anything on it.

I did get one really bad though. Got me right in the small of my back. Made a huge whip shaped mark that itched for about a week. I was swimming backwards, and reacted like I got shot in the back! Cloudly water for that one.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 9-23-2005 at 10:27 AM
Lluvia...

We call those "sting and go away" creatures "lluvia" (rain)...when they sting you, it feels like acid rain, and as soon as you get out the area the pain just go away....so, next time you hear a local say there is to much "lluvia" in the water, you will know what they are talking about.

JZ... oouuchh.... that sounds more like an "agua mala"... the pain feels exactly as you describe....and the pain stays for a while... and it is very difficult to distinguish one in the water.

Nevertheless... neither the "agua mala", the "lluvia" nor the "rosario" will keep us away from the beautiful waters of the Gulf of Baja California...and if the vinager, the windex (which contains vinager by the way), the gelmicin or the safesea do not work.... well... get a very cold corona or a sip of tequila... and you may forget about the pain...

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 9-23-2005 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2005 at 12:15 PM

Aqua Mala's are usually Man of Wars but can be others. First aid includes viniger, Adolph meat tenderizer and absent anything else human urine. The other ones that sting for a while and go away I forget what they were called years ago when diving off San Carlos, Son but I remember that they differed from the Aqua Malas in that they were a variety of sea vegetation and not animals.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2005 at 12:26 PM

Ok girls get ready for a horror story.
Many years ago in the Philippines, the crew of the boat I was working on was in the water with scotch pads cleaning the algae from the bottom of the boat. Since there was a strong current, we were all paddling into it constantly. Well, in all of that stuff was also hiding little teeny jellyfish. All of a sudden, it felt like I had a billion ants inside my suit. All of those little boogers had gotten trapped in my suit and were biting the doo doo out of me.
I immediately rinse in good water and put ammonia all over my torso. Had the welts for over a week but the ammonia took the sting out. OUCH

[Edited on 9-23-2005 by bajajudy]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.