BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Unas Poco de Flores por Flores
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-22-2005 at 11:24 AM
Unas Poco de Flores por Flores

For sure, have sat down to write about Master Realist Artist, Federico Flores more than once, I am sure if I search it out on my old 3 legged goat of an antiquated computer, I will find notes from other first drafts trying to capture one of the most admirable, worthy to aspire to, and just down right easy to respect, how can I even paint his picture with mere words kind of guy.

He is in his 70?s now, a real tall, silver haired Guerto.

I just came back from visiting with him at La Jardin de La Bastida. They had a big anniversary bash today. I am hoping next week he will bring me a foto of when he showed alone in the Spring of "81". La Bastida became official 20 years ago to to day as one fellow tells me, the other assures me 17 years to the date. I am just about sure though that it was Maestro Flores who originally broke ground a very years earlier as the first painter to show in this little haven where artist now show their work.

Anyway, I did some shots of some of my favorite artist at their little fiesta of officialdom as Artist in La Bastida. Did a great little series of close ups of Miestro Fredirico, best that I have gotten of him to date. Let's see when I get these down loaded on to a C D for him, along with pictures well worth sending to folks that get my drift and want to flow with it.

A couple of weeks back, I sold Dad's old Mercedes for pretty darn cheap, I think; what with all Mercy's sweet memories of riding down Baja with Dad, that last road trip, and a few other spin abouts, pues, ni modo, she was not easy to let go. Alas, I just couldn't see leaving her locked away in the garage, keep sake rusting away. I made a deal with myself and the Ol Man; I would sell her at a mouth watering price and buy art that I would put on the walls, only art that I know Dad would love as much as me.

Therefore qualifing last week to do some major buying of Master Flores art. It is so easy to envision Dad behind the light of the Selva in one of the pieces; a good size piece, easy woods to get lost in sort of place that he painted; I go there regularly now that it is on the wall of my room.

I bought that piece; of the light in a jungly woods which also includes a river flowing through and a small brilliant parrot sitting on a branch above the water. Also, I bought a still life, copper pots, lemon, and a slab of salmon, so simple, so clean, so perfectly what they are but so much love of color, light generated from the hands of the man who painted them. The kind of love for what he does that has in the past brought me to tears of over flowing feelings of love and gratitude to the Dude for what he does on canvas. Man, he has Mastered Lights, transitions of color like no one I personaly know, so nice, so very, very nice.

Anyway, the deal was made for the two pieces, very reasonable for what they are worth to me. I am ready to leave and Flores gets up and retrieves the other good size piece I was admiring, light on water, again, a jungly woods. He sits down next to me and writes me a note on the back and as he gets ready to hand over to me, he gives me a little lecture about how this is his way of showing esteem for someone special to him, his way of giving. Well, what can one say, didn't I tell you he is just the most respectful, kind, sweet soul, so very, very special so much there to learn from.

Like I said, I can't even begin to express what a very wonder of a Man and Artist, Master Flores is. Ah, but I am going to keep trying. Anyway, this will just have to do for now.
Bonair

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 07:32 PM

Eli:
The essence of all great Art is gratitude! Well said!
jeans
Super Nomad

Mood: Encantada

[*] posted on 9-26-2005 at 09:35 PM

You always amaze me with your writings & observations.

Thank you, mi amiga.....

Mom always told me to be different - Now she says...Not THAT different
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 9-27-2005 at 09:01 PM

Sara, You have done it again, taken me somewhere else. I love reading of your travel and peoples you work with, all the beautiful things you see every day and the insight you have for the simple things (and not so simple) that you share with us. I will be in BCS in January for the birth of my next G-baby, but it sounds as tho you won't be there. Keep on writing, it makes me and many others feel really good!~!!Bessos, Sally

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-27-2005 at 10:07 PM

Ok. I know this seems like girls night out to a lot of us, but, being a person who loves good art, and I must admit, I've never seen his work,or if I did, I didn't know who created it. Finaly a period. Im not trying to be disrespectful. Actually, I'm surprised that all the posts were from women. An assumption on my part.

Enough about that. It wasn't so much what you said Sally, but the emotion with which you said it. Thats what intrigued me.

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm sure he is a wonderful man. Or is he. My point is, that sometimes our impressions of people are affected by their creations. I'm not trying to pop anyone's bubble, nor am I trying to diminish what he's done. He's probably worthy of your adoration. Just food for thought.

I probably should have kept my mouth shut.
frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-27-2005 at 10:24 PM
Bajaden - JEEZZZ!!!!

Why would you even bother??:?::no:

Sara, Federico Flores is, as you say, one incredible man.
Anyone who can paint like he can obviously has a depth and feeling for nature and people that very few people could ever hope to achieve.

Thank you for putting it all into words for me.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2005 at 10:37 PM
Art

is to appreciated, savored. Support the work which hits home, moves the soul. Hang it in your house, light it, appreciate it.

Asi, humanity covers utility, balance is in the home.

Gracias, nina de Jimmy. His wanderlust and wonderlust live in you, thanks for sharing your observations and musings with us, whom live so far removed from that world you were born into and we long to visit.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
bajaden
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 12:38 AM

OK, Im sorry. It just seemed like such a happy board. Now that I have been thourghly chasticed, both on and off this board I can happily offer up all this pain to the almighty.

Maybe I can tell you my puppy story for sympathy. Never mind. I'll just crawl off somewhere

Man, I just got nailed by someone named Frizkie. I thought that was a cat food.

There I go again, getting myself in trouble.

Adios mi amigos.

Lo siento mi muy carrillo
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 06:19 AM

Ah Sara - he gave you the painting to show his esteem for someone special, and what a special woman you are! How blessed for each of you to be in each other's lives.
Thank you yet again taking me on your travels once again.

Looking forward to huggin you soon!

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 06:36 AM

Will you bring them back to LB? Of course, you will.
Look forward to seeing them then.
Safe travels.

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 07:37 AM
Sara

Don Jorge uttered the words that unlocked my heart and allowed me to add another male voice to this thread. I had been reading it since you first posted it and was at a total loss for any meaningful words. Don Jimmy truly does sit on you shoulder and speaks to you through a flittering and fluttering hummingbird. He has blessed you with his keen sense of people and a wanderlust that will never be quenched. It is these that allow you to touch so many people in such an interesting and positive way.

I do not know anything of the man you write about but he obviously knew that you were a person to be honored.

We so look forward to visiting with you in person this next May.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
bajaden
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 12:56 PM

Man, am I feeling bad.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 9-28-2005 at 03:59 PM

Ahh, get over it Bajaden and learn from your (oops!) ! This is a forum contrived of both sexes, many personalities, lots of opinions. Some have different passions than others and that is what gives this board its diversity. With all due respect,think before typing...something I have NOT always done!!:O Regards, Sally

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 06:03 AM

Are any of his paintings/artwork on the web?
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 04:17 PM

The come back on my comments about Flores really surprised me. I didn't expect much response- you know me, off tip toeing thru the daisys yet again. Still thanks everyone for your interest.

Bajaden, thank you for questioning, your response provokes thought and wonderful memories of "Why I know Master Flores is such a special sweet soul". Hopefully you will go to the link I have provided and see for yourself the gleam in his eyes. I know that I am blessed with a vision to see special souls, my life is surrounded by art and artist. Master Flores is certainly one of the most special of them that I have known.

I know because I have had a fair amount of time to study Master Flores, it's been over a year now since I first got lost in his paintings.

Quick and easy, he has many qualites that remind me of Bernie- Who knows, maybe someday, maybe you too will meet Bernie, his manner and gleam in the eye, the softness around his mouth, the gentleness of his manner that has developed over years of kind deeds. Same as with my Dad, he was loved for that generous spirit, that ability to make everyone feel that they were special to him. Anyway, that is Flores too.

I have had a few opportunities to watch Flores, how he reacts to a woman in rags loose her self in one of his paintings. She stands still and studies deep into his landscape for several minutes. His reaction of pleasure that someone who will never ever consider buying his work could enjoy his work. He is kind to her as he would be a rich gringa checkin out what there is in the park to buy.

There was the day his son, (the vetenarian), stopped to visit, the kiss on the cheek and the hug this mature man gave his papa, such respect, where was it learned, such open sweet love between the two mature men, what a joy for me to watch.

How Flores always buys a little fruit or some dulces from a passing vendor and makes sure to pass it around.

He has his grumpy side, I have seen that also. When he reviews my sketches he tells me not to show just anyone, they may steal my ideas, and I chuckle at his concern, because I really don't care if they do.

Oh, and Yes Santiago, this link should get you there. Once you are at the Aqui Oaxaca site, on the left hand side there is a list of what is available, go to Pintores and once you enter in this page, he is about the 4th artist down the list. Really there is a bunch of outstanding art by various artist on this page.

http://www.aquioaxaca.com/

Saludos a todos, Sara

[Edited on 9-30-2005 by Eli]
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 12:51 PM
Sara

Boy! You see a vastly different me than me. A conparison to your dad is far, way to, much indeed.

Paz

I misssed the grumpy side comment so edited this to say you got the grumpy stuff right as it relates to me.

[Edited on 9-30-2005 by Baja Bernie]

[Edited on 9-30-2005 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.