Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: breakfast in el rosario
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 06:09 PM
breakfast in el rosario

any suggestions for an early opening (5-7am) place to get something to eat in el rosario? hoping to get a bite before exploring the desert in a couple weeks.

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 06:34 PM

Don't go to the bright yellow place on the south end of town that says "Starbucks coffee".

It isn't.

And the breakfast was really bad.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 07:32 PM

The starbucks coffee place is open early in the morning, The breakfast i had was ok, but overpriced, maybe the starbucks coffee.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 08:03 PM

Had breakfast there too... will not go back again... Ed, the owner seems to be more in to making money than providing a good meal.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 08:32 PM
Breakfast...

Woody,

Mama Espinoza's opens at 6:00 am.... good food, but a bit pricey though....however, breakfast are usually better priced.

If you want homemade style food, there is a place called La Mijita... she opens around 7:00 am...good food, and cheap... This food stand is a small place infront of the highschool... a little bit south of the Delegacion on the same side of the highway.

La Bocana Restaurant, at the south end of town (besides Motel Sinahi), has also good food, not so expensive and good food...I think they open at 8:00 am.

Tacos La Mision, almost at the south end of town, infront of the last highway bump in town, has also clean nice food...but I believe he opens at 9:00am.

Even though there are a few other places, these would be my top choices...

Hope this help...

When are you going to pass thru Woody?

Antonio M.

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2005 at 08:40 PM
i almost always stop at "starbucks coffee"

in el rosario,i'm not sure why...but the guy that runs the place is pretty cool,he's a gringo guy from san clemente that married a local gal(she's the one running the restaraunt)...he's pretty knowledgeable about the local area and places like san carlos for surfing and windsurfing

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 07:12 AM

We also have had breakfast at the "bus stop". Can't miss the building. Bright yellow if memory still working, on the left going south as the other poster said. Meal was very good. (what can you do to juevos rancheros?) Price was reasonable, and coffee was o.k. tasting.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 07:52 AM

Interesting to read the various reactions to eating places...

As you guys know, I have been going to El Rosario a lot the past year because I am finding so many interesting things in the area, and Antonio (BajaCactus) is most hospitable.

Mama Espinoza's: Food good, higher priced than other local places, but not that much more. Exception might be her lobster omelettes... too much $$.

La Bocana Beach Restaurant (in front of Motel Sinahi): Food VERY good and reasonable. Try the melon (cantelope) water (juice) with breakfast. Great machaca con huevos.

Baja's Best Bed and Breakfast (The place with the Starbucks logo painted on the building, on the right at the far edge of town): As mentioned earlier, this is Ed Lusk's place and his Mexicana wife runs the kitchen. Ed is very informative about the area and swats a mean flyswatter! I say that with a smile, as the place has had a fly problem each time we go there, and it is more Baja-like in a Rancho sort of way... BUT, I go back because I love chorrizo & eggs and Ed buys the best chorrizo and it tastes that way. They do serve Starbucks coffee (because as Ed says, one can only take so much Nescafe). Prices reasonable. The chorrizo breakfast burritos (3) are not on the menu... just ask. Their lobster dishes are cheaper than Espinoza's.

Then, we have eaten breakfast at Hugo Lopez' Tacos Mision... But, he is not open very early. The taco place on the right, with the little cart out front is good, too. There is a menudo place on the left, on weekends...

I will make a town map and ID the restaurants on one of my future trips.

I think the La Bocana Beach Restautant run by 'Primo' is the overall best, if I had to give you one choice.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 11:09 AM

all of the above are great, from my experience. I aslo like the little shool bus as well, just past the bend on the right side..
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 11:29 AM
Antonio...

...great suggestions, now that's the way to spread the word - your local knowledge on such subjects is invaluable...

Hope to see you or your 'crew' at the motel late next week for another 'overnighter', on 10/6 or 10/8 on our way down to the Mulege area.

Regards,

Ray & Pat from Stockton, CA

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 03:27 PM

thanks antonio and everyone;

we're leaving ob between 2-3am on oct 14 so el rosario should be about 6 y media. will check out the first place we find open that has been recomended (sounds like la mejita or la bocana). mama's is well known but i was hoping to be pointed towards something more "homestyle" and "open" at that hour.

thanks again-

will post a report, full of lies and propaganda, as necessary to soothe the souls of those who feel they own the place.:saint::saint::rolleyes::moon::barf::cool: YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 9-30-2005 at 09:10 PM
Yesss...

MexRay...

I will be there...installing an Internet HotSpot system for my guests and visitors....(yes... you guys are the first ones to know about an Internet HotSpot in El Rosario)....do not forget to look me up.

If you are going to need a room with us, please let me know...lately we have been very busy.

BajaCactus...
info@bajacactus.com
motel@bajacactus.com

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 10-1-2005 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 06:40 PM

Personally, I think Mama's is living on reputation. Food is Ok but for the price I'm not sure thats enough. I would eat at La Bocana. Food is good and reasonalbly priced. Never tried Starbucks. Not a big fan of flys though.
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 07:02 PM
Rooms

Antonio,
Will be there on Oct 16th on our way to Mulege as my wife loves your rooms. Just a small suggestion put in small electric coffee pots for those early pepole
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 06:01 AM

In defence of Ed Lusk's place (Baja's Best):
1. I personally saw him scoop beans out of a bag, put them in the grinder and brew a fresh pot for me. Now, while I don't know if the beans were from Starbuck's, I do know that it was the best cup of coffee I've bought in Baja. (The best cup is the one you brew yourself on the beach just as the eastern sky is getting light.)
2. Ed opens at 6:00am, but the cook's don't show until 7:00. I had huevos mexicana one day and hot cakes the next - both good. I don't recall the $ so they must of been OK - but givien that I can't get a ham-eggs-potatoes-toast- juice-coffee breakfast in NorCal for less that $10-$12 I'm always happy with baja prices.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I had double helpings of the meat stew dish with cobs of corn in it. Very hearty and tasty. I would go back for that meal again and again.

Herein lies the root of your "Baja Diet" issues !?!? :lol::lol:.
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 09:15 AM

Hey Pompano, I've got a few extra bottles of cortislim laying around.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.