BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Who's the stinky fish here?
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 01:04 PM
Who's the stinky fish here?

I can tell you I have and many of you have, cleaned thousands of fishin my life.
I have cleaned myriad of fish but always remember the event. Reason: The nose knows.
Some are bony. Some are not.
Some are pretty some are not
Some have tough skin, some do not
Some are easy to fillet, some are not.
Some need a sharp knife, some do not.
Some you can eat raw, some you should not
Some are fishy, some are not

The question here is:
What is the stinkiest fish you have ever cleaned.

My pick would be the huge Opaleye perch that we would catch by the sack as a youngster. All that algae they eat ferments through the gut it seemed, I still wouldn't clean and eat one. PHEW!:barf:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 01:21 PM

Leopard Shark from San Francisco Bay, cleaned many and ate many they are very good to eat but they stink terrible when cleaning.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 01:25 PM

The one that got left in the cooler for over a week smelled pukey.:barf:

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 01:29 PM

The one left in the guest bedroom after 3 days.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 01:41 PM

Reminds me of a joke (in translation).

A man sits alone in the waiting room of the doctor's office. He needs to go real bad but there are no bathrooms around. Finally he can't bear it any longer. He pulls the plant out of the pot, roots and all, relieves himself, and stuffs the plant back in place.

Two weeks later a letter comes in the mail. He opens it:

"I'll forgive everything. Only Please, just tell me WHERE?"
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 02:08 PM
Perch

I hate them. When I was a kid, my step-brother and I had to clean a wheelbarrow full of those !@$#%$!ers after the perch derby in Trinidad, CA. Cold, dark, rainy night in the mud at Patrick's Point campground. Meanwhile, my old man and his buds were drinking in a warm, dry camper a few yards away. Every once in awhile, one of them would poke his head out and say something brilliant and funny like, "Hey, howya comin' with them fish, kid? HAHAHAHA!" Bastards. So drunk they never noticed us hockin' loogies into the buckets of cleaned fish (I ate canned chili and peanut butter sandwiches the rest of that trip, but everything smelled like fish).
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 04:44 PM

Not stinky, but Pompano just triggered a memory of fishing for juvenile red snapper off the pier at Pismo Beach. At a certain time of year, before they headed out to sea, thousands and thousands of small, finger-length snappers would swarm in the surf. It was great for kids because they were very easy to catch. The rig would be half a dozen or more tiny hooks, usually with little pieces of red yarn but they would even bite on the bare hooks as long as they were shiny. The limit was 15 but a lot of people would take buckets full. Sometimes F & G would hand out tickets but that was like sweeping back the tide. There was a trick to cleaning them. If done right, you could slip a knife under the skin behind the head and cut thru the neck without cutting the skin on the other side. Then with the fingers, you could pull the head, skin and guts off in one motion. Then you dipped them in a beer batter and deep-fried them crisp. One or two bites to a fish, bones and all. GREAT beer snack!

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 04:44 PM

I spent a few seasons working in a fishery up North Coast of California. I got use to the smell of it and me.

When I would come home from work in the evening, my dog and cats were all over me, just plain overjoyed to see and smell me. My daughter and her Papa were happy I was home, but wouldn't let me in the house until I changed clothes in the shed. No hugs, no nothing until I changed. I didn't get it, I was bringing home the bacon so to speak and I thought I smealt normal. Ah well, found a fond memory I hadn't thought of in years, thanks for bringing up the subject Sharks.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 05:35 PM

I never got to see my stinky fish. Our U.S. Navy minesweeper was in San Pedro harbor for some kind of repair work berthed right next to the fish processing area. Us sailors would be enjoying our on-deck nightly movie and suddenly the sediment beneath the boat would let loose a "burp". I can't tell you what it smelled like cause 85 sailors ran to rail in reaction faster than a rerun of McHale's Navy.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 06:10 PM

I got everyone beat on this one: early 90s my nephew and I flew to Guyamas to visit my father who was staying in San Carlos. After a day of fishing we had used all the frozen sardines and he took us to buy more after lunch. My father was so cheap (as a kid at the end of the day I would have to walk the job sites and pick up the bent nails and pound them straight - of course I would not get paid for this) that he would drive to the Guyamas sardine canneries and get the old sardines that were too rotten to can and he would freeze them for his weekly bait. So off we go after a big lunch to "make bait" - however the good folks of Guyamas were real smart and put the canneries in a small bay with large hills between them and the town - the smell would just sit in the little cove. As we crest the hill, windows fully open, we hit a wall of what can not be desribed with words: a smell so putrid that I immediately and forcefully lost my lunch all over myself, my nephew and the inside of dad's old Ford pickup. We then had to drive the 15 miles back with 2 five gallon buckets of real old sardines on our laps. I don't know if anyone as developed a scale for measuring smells, but if so, the inside of that cab on that day would have pegged the needle. Cheap somb-tch made me clean up the cab when we got back to camp.
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 10-1-2005 at 09:30 PM

Baccacio's and Cow Cods....

In the '70's I used to be a filleter at a fish market, and we would buy the local fishermens catch. This one guy would fish out at Cortez Bank, and I guess he wasn't too keen on ice. He would fish deep, and bring back these 2 fish. The baccaccio was somewhat slender, slimy, a little bass-ish - about 18 to 28 inches long. The cow was a bright orange grouper like thing. They both would come up with their eyes and bellys bulging out. We'd meet them at the dock with boxes and ice, and ice 'em down as quick as we could. Once back, we'd start filleting - 500 or so pounds!! Man, that first cut from the poop hole to the gills was always .....still can't get that smell out....

Oh, and large sharks. Those could stink up a good sized room faster than white lightning could hit your brain!

Thanks for the memories...:barf:
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 04:27 PM
Yup

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
I never got to see my stinky fish. Our U.S. Navy minesweeper was in San Pedro harbor for some kind of repair work berthed right next to the fish processing area. Us sailors would be enjoying our on-deck nightly movie and suddenly the sediment beneath the boat would let loose a "burp". I can't tell you what it smelled like cause 85 sailors ran to rail in reaction faster than a rerun of McHale's Navy.

It was the practice at the time that everything got shoved off the dock everyday at the canneries. I know from working there during the summer months - whew. The harbor was "dead" in that area with sulfer gasses coming up. As the harbor gets re-arranged over time, stuff gets changed and filled in. Remember there was a sewage outfall for decades off of T.I. just a few hundred yards off the shore and 1/2 mile inside the breakwater. Guess that didn't help either.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2005 at 05:16 PM

I can relate. having spent a few overnights myself down in Fish Harbor next to the Starkist cannery. Holy crap did that stink but I 'm talkin fresh kill here not afterbirth.

Now the sewage from LA is pumped out 3 mi off Royal Palms(Pt. Fermin) where I contacted and developed a staph infection while diving there years ago. Lost part of a finger from it. Bad shi-te.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 12:18 PM

The fish common to Baja I think stink the most while cleaning are Perico or Parrot fish. Everytime I cut into one I'm about to upchuck. And I've cleaned many a fish of all types, but this one is the worst to me.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 12:35 PM

I'll remember that, thanx! Beauty can sometimes turn ugly fast:P

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.