Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-17-2002 at 12:26 PM
Public Relations Challenge for Tijuana

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U25712A72
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2002 at 02:26 PM

I live in Tijuana, and i have seen excuse my language "stupid-marooonic" attempts to give it a new image. Politicians here seem to believe that a few TV and Radio commercials are going to change the image of the city. They organize food festivals that involve anything from Lobster to Tequila, and not much else.

If someone really wants to change the image of Tijuana, the first steps they need to take are these:

1.-Clean up the streets, i dont think a million commercials will change the fact that the streets are filthy and smell like urine.

2.-Put a stop to the loud salesmen that scream "tity bar, floor show, no cover" across the street at everything that moves.

3.-Stop certain vendors from selling fake watches, silver, gold and who nows what else.

4.-Put a limit on the hours of operation of bars. 2:00Am top and they have to close down.

5.-Raise the age to get into a bar from 18 to 21.

6.-Close down the absurd amount of pharmacies that sell legal drugs to anybody that wants them.

7.-Close down a good portion of the Sleazy strip clubs in revolution avenue.

8.- Clean the whole place up.

This is the only way, doing this will cause layoffs inmediatelly, but if the place cleans up, decent sources of labor will pop up in the near future. Revolution ave is prime real estate, and i dont doubt that a clean an decent street, will atract good restaurants, stores, and places for entertainment.

Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2002 at 01:26 AM
Prostitution Central

I've spent very little time in Tijuana (literally hours in transit), but I knew that even during the daytime, I was little impressed by it. I live an hour away from Nogales and, though I travel there regularly, it's no "destination" city either.

I have a family member who is a sex tourist and supports prostitution meccas around the world. For all of his pro-legalization arguments, I don't believe that there's any one of those cities where he'd like to live on any long term basis.

Sex trade is easy money for some - usually a small number of men at the top of the food chain - but spreads social ill all around it at every other level.

I agree that Tijuana would do way better to move to a stronger, more family friendly economic base, but once the tentacles of the "sin" trades get hooked in (a moral, not religious assessment), there's generally little turning back. Just my not so humble opinion.-Stephanie

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.