Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: lycra suits & snorkel stuff
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2003 at 08:35 AM
lycra suits & snorkel stuff

I have read about the lycra suits worn in Baja waters. I'm wondering if these suits will be warm enough for February/March snorkeling around the islands near La Paz. We've never been snorkeling, but are really eager to learn. Also, I remember reading of a woman in La Paz who custom makes lycra suits but I cannot find her address/phone in my "archives". Any info on either topic will be appreciated.
Almost forgot, we're also wondering if rented snorkel gear is good enough or should we purchase our own - in U.S. or La Paz?

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2003 at 08:54 AM

Snorkeling with a mask that almost fits is almost fun. The enjoyment quotient goes way up when your mask does'nt fill with water. Sport Chalet has a very good selection of masks/snorkels for sale, you can have them help you fit it and you dont' have to buy the most expensive one either. Then you have a snorkel that hasn't been in many unknown mouths too.

As far as lycra goes I do not think it is for warmth. It is more for sun and agua malas protection. To stay warm you need rubber.

Just my opinion. :)

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2003 at 09:11 AM

Makes sense, gracias. Where is Sport Chalet. :?:

.....Oscar Wilde
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2003 at 10:40 AM

Alas, it seems that Berkeley is not only a 'nuclear free zone' but also a Sport Chalet free zone. Check your local sporting goods stores, I used Sport Chalet as an example because thay are all over So Cal and they have a great selection with very helpful people. I do see where one is to be opened up in Antioch and Sacto in coming months!! :D

Have Fun!

MAGA

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-17-2003 at 12:21 PM
it takes neoprene to stay warm in sea of

cortez in winter months.

Me, i just don't dive then!! the closest i get to wetsuits is on long flights and too much coffee!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2003 at 02:06 PM

I wear a lycra suit all the time, it protects from agua malas and sun burn in the summer, and makes a good undersuit for a shorty suit when the water is cold.
I purchased mine through the Barts site on the web. Not to spendy, I think we paid about $45 if I remember right.

I will be buying the hood and booties pryor to my final move to Loreto (13 months, (woohoooo)
Dan/Oregon/Loreto
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 08:41 AM
wetsuits

Mike, from your stories about landing at Havasu for an "emergency", I think maybe it would be a good idea for you to always wear a wetsuit.
Natalie, I heard from friends down in El Centenario about the lady in La Paz who custom makes the Lycra or Nylon suits for Agua Mala protection. I will try and get her exact location.
I got hit by the jellyfish in Las Animas while snorkeling. Again! I immediately heated water to as hot as I could stand it and the rash, burning and stings immediately went away. Not a big deal unless you don't do something about it immediately. Then it hurts. This also works after the fact but best to remedy the problem right away.
Also, buy a mask and fins that fit you. It will make the difference between enjoying your time or spending the whole time trying to make things fit and ruining the fun of snorkeling.
If you are new at snorkeling, spend some time in shallow water practising breathing through a snorkel. The key is to relax and take steady, even breaths so you are not tiring yourself out trying to breath.
Sport Chalet, although being a little pricey does have the best selection of diving stuff and the most knowledgable help. But, I use inexpensive "U.S.Divers" equipment that you can find pretty much in any sporting goods stores and it all fits like it should. Very very important!
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 03:35 PM
staying warm

During the winter there are no jellys to worry about. Keeping warm is another question. If all you plan to do is pollywog around on the surface then a 3 mil suite will keep you warm. Wear a hood, gloves and booties for complete warmth. If you plan on spending hours in the water and freediving down deep then a thicker suite will be needed. The difference in temperature from the surface down to 40' can be chilling to say the least. fishin rich
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 04:06 PM
ski baja.....you're crackin' me up, man!!

can you say "depenz"??!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Baja Again
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2003 at 10:08 PM
Depenz on Fear Factor and processed foods

Hey Mike, Did you make it to Mulege last weekend ? I stopped in the Serenidad and heard Keri and Mike were there the night before I was (Thurs.) and I then headed to take pictures of the Almeja being gone. Ended up having the usual great lunch there and found out it was some competition in Mulege posting that nonsense. Channel 6 Mulege ? Nevertheless, sorry I missed you if you made it. I will be putting stuff about my trip on the boards and in my group as soon as I get unpacked.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 10:52 AM
gracias....

for all the advice. DH and I pretty much figure we'll be hooked (on snorkeling) after our first time out, so a wet suit buying we go. Kinda thought we'd take one of the organized group tours for our first adventure in order to learn and practice - but maybe should first just paddle around at Tecalote (that right, spelling police?)? After that will surely want to find a nice panga driver and go on our own.

Elgatoloco - I can go to sleep at night without worry of nuclear destruction now that "we've" warned "them" (LOL). Ever in the neighborhood, stop by and we'll fix you a big ORGANIC salad - along with some nice Anejo to wash it down.

Baja Again - Great photo! Would one need to be scuba-ing (as opposed to snorkeling) to see that?

.....Oscar Wilde
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 11:10 AM

Have fun!!!

We could meet for lunch at Chez Panise!! Some tasty morsels served up there!! Wash it down with a nice rose!! :D

Tecolote :smug:

MAGA

Baja Again
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 01:30 PM
Snorkelin

Natalie, this is J.R. of Ski Baja. That picture was taken at Cabo Pulmo this last trip while "snorkeling". Did you get my email ? I have started posting photos and stories of the trip at http://groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum.
Please email me so I can tell you about the trip. And thank you.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 03:20 PM

Elgatoloco - lunch sounds good (more in the range of my pocketbook than dinner) and a nice rose would do just fine. Drop me a line when you're heading north.

J.R. - check your private email.... and I'll go look at your photos at MSN. And thank you.

.....Oscar Wilde
Baja Again
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2003 at 03:46 PM
My emails

Apparently, my account was full so I haven't been receiving some of my emails. It's fixed now. Sorry.
Bagheera

[*] posted on 11-9-2003 at 04:28 PM

To help you choose a wet suit, here's a rough guide for suit/water temp. matches. Note that this is only for surface activites, such as snorkeling or surfing.

Water temp. 70 F plus: Wear a swimskin or a rash guard. A swim skin is a skin-tight suit which offers very little resistance in the water. A rash guard is a loosefitting pullover that's arguably more comfortable. Swim skins and rash guards are cheap, from $25 to $100.

Water temp. 60-70 F. A 2mm neoprene spring suit is advisable. A spring suit is a wetsuit that covers the torso, the upper legs and maybe the upper arms. The "2mm" designation indicates that the neoprene is only 2mm thick. Minimum insulation, maximum flexibility. Springsuits generally costs $50-$100.

Water temp. 55-65 F. A 3mm (sometimes called 3/2) fullsuit. The fullsuit, as the name implies, cover the torso plus all of the arms and legs down to the wrists and ankles. The extra 1mm of thickness adds a lot of warmth, but radically reduces flexibility. If you buy a fullsuit, get a high-end suit that has no loose areas and is comfortable to wear. Fullsuits can get expensive. A good one will costs $200, and you won't find any suit for less than $100.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.