Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kuyima camping at San Ignacio
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 10:14 AM
Kuyima camping at San Ignacio

Okay, second question about our trip in March.
Is is worth the extra money to stay at the Kuyima camp overnight in San Ignacio? Or just go back to town. I don't want to stay in a tent we almost got blown over doing that before, but the cabanas are kind of expensive. Worth it?

If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen. Henry David Thoreau
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 12:14 PM

marla I thought it was worth it when we stayed there a few years ago. The little cabanas are reasonably comfortable and the evenings, stories, films with the Kuyima people and the other guests in the big mess tent were fun. Beat the heck out of the trip back to town in my opinion.
++Ken++
marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 01:26 PM

Thanks Ken! Also where should we stay afterward to have easy access to kayaking and snorkeling at Bahia Concepcion. We don't mind rustic but won't have camping gear with us. Also advice about where to take kayak lessons?

If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer. But if he spends his days as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time, he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen. Henry David Thoreau
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 05:03 PM

In San Ignacio at Ricardo's Int'l. Rice and Beans if just an overnight before driving to Concepcion.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 07:42 PM

Bean's and Rice is noisey from the main highway and I agree with Ken about the cabanas. Great place. Wonderful crew.

Overall, I'm not sure why you would not take one of the whale watching options out of GN. I have been to both and for the money and the ease of doing, GN has the better situation. Also, the whales are any friendlier in either place, they're just plain freindly in both places.

In March, the inlet on the salt farm side is teeming with whales 3 KM east outside of GN.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 07:48 PM

Hmmm... we had the (remote controlled) AC running, so that is probably why we never heard any highway noise...?

There is Ignacio Springs Bed & Breakfast, but Marla just wanted an overnighter on her way from the lagoon to Bahia Concepcion, and Ignacio Springs seems like it it too nice, not to stay there awhile!!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2005 at 08:24 PM
Except for the fact that

Concepcion Bay is only 2-3 hours drive from Guerrero Negro. And I've heard the snorkeling in S.I. isn't quite up to par. Funny place to break up a trip unless you are really into date pies.:light:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 06:41 AM

the drive back and forth from the town of SI to the Lagoon is a total pain is the arse, long time to go short distance and washboard rough all the way!
stay at campo cortez www.bajaecotours.com and drive it only once.

(thanking the great Central Scrutinizer daily i get to fly....)

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 07:35 AM

That road is indeed brutal out to San Ignacio Lagoon. I wound up at the chiropractor after out last trip. And I said I will never do it again. I fly in or I dont go. However I do think that it is a better whale experience than Guerrero Negro. Although I have never gone out of Ojo de Liebre, we camped there and there were certainly plenty of whales. Woke me up the their noisy spouting and flapping their tails.....what a wonderful alarm clock.

[Edited on 10-4-2005 by bajajudy]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 07:45 AM

There is a S.I. Lagoon whale article on Baja Nomad by Nichole (Doug's), when she was 12: http://www.bajanomad.com/columnists/nlarrabee/

marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2005 at 09:57 AM

I usuallly do not go to San Ignacio because of the awful road. I did it once, did not see any friendly whales and swore I would never do it again. Usually we go to Guerrero Negro. However, some BAJA NOMADS by the name of Georock and Maryann H. have convinced me that if I go in March, my odds of a friendly whale encounter are greatly increased. So we are going to go up to San Ignacio from Loreto, stay overnight at the highly recommended Casa Leree and then go out to the lagoon. If I don't see any friendly whales this time, then I am writing San Ignacio off until they pave that road! The issue we're trying to decide right now, not being rich, is whether to blow a whole buncha money staying overnight at Kuyima, the overnight trip would be $1200 for our group which is a lot of the green stuff compared to just coming back to Casa Leree for the night. For twelve hundred bucks for one night (for eight of us admittedly) it better be a darn special experience! Also my sister in law and my friend who's gong with us are always cold due to being too skinny, a problem I' don't have, ha, so I fear they will be shivering in the wind the whole time.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.