Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Trip To Baja 4
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 06:56 AM
A Trip To Baja 4

I got three days to "recover" at El Requeson, then a few more days to enjoy the peace. Digging for clams was hard work but the trips around the spit and down the beach in the Zodiak were a blast. This place is so relaxing that when you go fishing, you almost never catch anything; therefore avoiding the work of hauling in and cleaning your catch.

We snorkeled off the southern tip of the "island" and verified that there were actually fish down there; and live reef ! It must have been that they were just "into" our relaxation phase.

Everything was relaxing.....
Like Yoga - your feet are relaxing, you toes are relaxing....
Warm sun, warm air, gentle breeze, soft noises, louder noises, then, hey, what is that sound ??

I sh-t you not; 31 huge RV's struggled and scraped, one by one, down the rocky road and slowly surrounded us like a platoon of prison guards. We watched in fear as EVERY inch of waters edge was covered by their bulk. Slowly, and with a poof of conditioned air, the offending creatures emerged from their fortresses. Some carried little, tiny, cat-sized, dog-like creatures that our 100 lb lab could not figure out what to make of. Some unloaded whole living rooms of furniture into their screened enclosures. All opened awnings and hung tarps and tents to block the sun and air and all......

Everywhere people talked and yelled across camp and ran generators and WASHING MACHINES and made noises.
This living breathing mass was the long-feared ANTI-RELAXATION itself. We knew it would come; the book said so, we just didn't want to believe it.

Within an hour our world had changed..... we were now in the valley of the ancient ones (this particular group had the oldest average age and biggest RV's I have seen, to this day)The"I come from so and so, what about you ?" people.
The "are those Washington plates ?" "we're from ____" , kind of people. Now, don't get me wrong, these were mostly nice and good creatures except that they just weren't in our "relaxation zone".

Then there was the other issue with the dog. Have you ever seen a 100 lb yellow lab (a retriever), who has never seen another dog under 50 lbs, trying to catch and fetch some under 10 lb miniatures ? Needless to say, more screams; and the dog had to be imprisoned on his rope.

OK, now it is definitely time to pack up and continue our trip to points south. Where to next, what to do ???
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 10:04 AM
Part 5

Diver, I can hardly wait for Part 5. My guess is you went across the bay and reentered your "Relaxation zone". But maybe the truck broke down. Ohhhh. This is so suspenseful!!!
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2005 at 11:34 AM

I would have enjoyed the purity of a bunch of airstreams.
These were more the austentacious types with satelite TV outside as well as inside. A few windmills, huge awnings and tent attachments.
One guy even unloaded a stairstepper - can you believe it !!
Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time understanding why someone would go to Baja to insulate themselves in their RV's.
These guys even seemed afraid of little old me !
Kinda like going to an aquarium and viewing the fish through the glass !?!?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.