Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: no signal on odd transponders DTV
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 10:42 AM
Lawlessness

As I drove South ayer between Mexicali and San Felipe, I thought about Bruce as I violated the posted speed limits the entire distance. The posted limit varies between 60Kph (40mph) and 80Kph (50mph). I felt really guilty as I drove at up to 70mph most of the way. The DEVIL made me do it. I am ashamed to admit that I am a sinner.

Though I have no experience with the DirecTV problems, I've heard from some who are experiencing problems on their DirecWay and when I booted up this a.m., my signal was down in the high 60s. It has normally been in the high 80s. No idea if there is any correlation there. Anyone else having problems or low signal strengh ?
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 11:09 AM

Well let me see. I've got St Bruce ( according to sir William ) over here, and The devil made me do it Mr Bill, over there. Hmmmmm. Tough choice. I, of course, aspiring to be a saint, hasten to the side of Bruce, whom I know to be an honest man. Still, the urge to drive 80 miles an hour still burns in my heart.

Question of the day Willie. Why does someone's honesty upset you so much? Does it poke you in some moral spot thats been covered in scar tissue? I also am a sinner, but I do admire someone who trys to do the right thing. At least I can shake his hand without watching where the other one is.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 11:15 AM

I agree with Bruce about laws and customs where a person choses to live one should obey the rules, This is a private company and they should not be able to tell me where to live as long as I pay my bills.

I pay my monthly dues to Direct TV and I except to recieve it, no matter where I live.

Thinking about switching to Canadian TV, They don't care where you live and have much the same programing.

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
burro bob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 12:11 PM

Richard
I am not sure you can get a signal from a Canadian satellite as far south as you are. Canadian satellite programming sucks and is more expensive. Even the Canadians don't want it, most of them get satellite programing from Direct tv or Dish. Yes It is illegal that way also. I am not really hung up on the legal/illegal thing. If anything I side with the pirates. They keep Direct and Dish on their toes.
Direct Tv is not trying to tell you where to live. It involves the sharing of bandwidth at orbital locations that cover North and South America in the Clark belt ( the place where satellites live). Mexico and Canada also want a piece of the pie when it comes to satellite programming. They want you to get your programming from a Mexican or Canadian provider.
I don't have a satellite system any more. I don't watch much TV, mostly Mexican soaps. You just can't beat "Los Sanches". What a story line and that Lisa is so hot.
burro bob
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 05:08 PM
Bajaden

If you haven't noticed by now that I LOVE to sarcastically poke needles at viewpoints opposing mine, you haven't been paying attention. There is NO ONE on this board that upsets me, primarily because I simply don't care. In fact, just the opposite. I revel in picking opposing viewpoints apart. Verbal jousting is a great way to pass the time when sitting around. I'm not here to make friends.

As far as which side to choose, by all means choose Bruce. Believe me, I won't have my feelings hurt. Some would say that can't be done.

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition"
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 05:13 PM

From what i've read Star Choice can be rec'd down here, and it has a fair amount of U.S. tv.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 05:19 PM

Mr Bill

There you go spoiling the image, explaining how nice a guy you are underneath it all. I might even duel with you sometime,when i feel daring.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 05:43 PM

Back to direct tv, I've been doing a lot of research on dtv forums, and here is what I come up with, they transfered all of the odd transponders from sat. 100 to DTV 8 which is sat. that has transponders that send spot signals, otherwise certain programs to specific markets. I don't think you will ever get them back. If you are lucky they will not transfer the even to that sat, but why wouldn't they, they sent it up there for a reason and everyone south of the border was not given any consideration. Don't forget there is always the old C band whick is what i'm using for the last year and i'm very happy with it.

my 2cents

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 07:57 PM

Ah, back on subject. I switched to Dish Network a while ago. I have an RV and had to send a copy of my registration in order to get NON-Spot local channels as Dish Network moved their local channels to a spot satellite a couple of years ago. I get locals out of LA and New York.

Directv may have the same thing (non-spot channels for RV'ers and truckers too) for what it is worth.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Spyderman
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 07:59 PM

If you buy the equipment and pay the monthly fee, doesn't that alone make it legal?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 08:04 PM

You could do that and subscribe from the states, but as of now you would only get half the programing you pay for, and possibly soon none at all. Right now direct TV is not the was to go if you want to use it south of the border.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-21-2005 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
If you haven't noticed by now that I LOVE to sarcastically poke needles at viewpoints opposing mine, you haven't been paying attention. There is NO ONE on this board that upsets me, primarily because I simply don't care. In fact, just the opposite. I revel in picking opposing viewpoints apart. Verbal jousting is a great way to pass the time when sitting around. I'm not here to make friends.

"

yes and I don't mind at all mrBill because I appreciate your point of view . and I don't mind being controversial as long as long as you put your name on it. I only hate anon. posts.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 10-22-2005 at 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM

As far as which side to choose, by all means choose Bruce. Believe me, I won't have my feelings hurt. Some would say that can't be done.

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition"

Ahhh!! So were on the same page. Point taken Mr Bill. However, credibility is a savored thing. Don't forsake it.

Now, how do I get the NBA package down here? I've got Sky, and forget how the person who sold it to me lied and said it would be no problem. Wait! Where's his credibility? Perhaps there is a double standard. Or, perhaps its just Mexico.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2005 at 10:26 AM
Spot-Beam Transponders

Speaking only for Dish Network, which I use, the only channels which were switched to Spotbeam were local net packages. None of the other channels, including premiums were switched because there is no reason to. They did not go to this voluntarily. It came about as the result of complaints filed with the FCC by Cable TV interests arguing that they were illegally providing subscribers with local channels outside their viewing area. As a compromise, they were allowed to keep New York, Los Angeles and Denver on non-spotbeam transponders. I'm not sure if that remains true for Denver. I have a friend whose house was in Southwestern Colorado and he was receiving the Santa Fe feeds. They changed him over to Denver because they were putting Santa Fe on a spotbeam and he would be beyond the 150 mile radius of the beam.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 10-22-2005 at 08:19 PM

This is from a search at www.dishnetwork.com with the search word 'local channels for rv'. These are the only networks that are NOT on local beams, all the rest are locally beamed.

Programming -- Local Stations -- RV and Truck
If you qualify, you can receive up to two network packages (ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX) from your choice of 5 cities, Chicago, Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, New York, plus the national PBS channel. ... DISH Network is pleased ...
Modified: 10/5/2005 - Size: 11.5KB
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/locals/rv_tru... [Summary]

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2005 at 10:30 AM
Regarding RV waivers

From Wornout's info, it is clear that Denver is still available, along with Chicago and Atlanta. Chicago surprises me because I had "thought" that back when I still had the Chicago stations on my "OTHER" Box, I couldn't bring it up because I was out of the viewing area, but I could be confusing it with one of the myriad other cities that were available at that time.

When I looked into the info on RV waivers, it was indicated that you could only qualify with "one" receiver which makes sense if you are truly an RV user. In my case, I currently have (4) receivers on my account so it wasn't a viable solution. I looked into it a couple of years back when I "Lost" my ABC-NY feed because of a spat between Dish Network and ABC. They settled their spat, but never gave me back the ABC-NY.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.