Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I'm back
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 07:33 AM
I'm back

Hola all, got back yesterday from as far south as Cabo Pulmo. Roads were washed out in many places and all the arroyos that hadn't washed out were really bumpy so slow down for all vados and arroyos. Catavi?a is almost done with a brand new paving so that was really nice.
Dengue is alive and spreading in all the beach communities south of Santa Rosalia. Mulege and Cabo Pulmo seemed to be the worst hit. All of the stores were out of repellants so if you are going, take it with you and some for the locals as well. Out of all the donations I took down there, the repellants were the most greatly appreciated as the stores down there were out of them. Thank you Natalie!
I spent time in the mountains again including fishing at a lake that is not on any maps. Try and get that location out of me to spread around David, never.
The mountains had lots of Mosquitos but no Dengue and they turned down the repellants because they said that the beach communities had a greater need. Now that's "Human"!
Cabo Pulmo had a large number of tourists coming up from Los Cabos for fishing and diving every day and none of them had even heard about the Dengue epidemic. This is what the locals describe it as by the way but they are certainly not interested in destroying their tourism industry.
I camped almost the entire 2 1/2 weeks or so and stayed covered in Deet but still got bit plenty. Fortunately, not all the Jejenes are carriers. It was explained to me that people with a lot of sugar in their blood seem to be the ones coming down with it. I happen to like A?ejo and Coke for my beverage and I'm pretty sure there is some sugar in it but so far, my bones don't hurt.
Mulege. I read on one of these boards prior to my heading south that our favorite restaurant in Mulege, " formerly the Almeja, now El Padron, at the mouth of the Mulege River was destroyed by the hurricane. As I was eating lunch there day before yesterday and talking to the owners, it was reported that some of the competition had posted that message. Becoming more American like all the time in those Gringo communities. Too bad. Maybe the Dengue will help cut down on too many people and not enough humans.
And, speaking of humans, many people made donations of necessities that were badly needed and greatly appreciated. And some that said they would donate just never came through. That's ok too. I am used to it having grown up in South California.
I will be heading back south in 3-4 weeks for the same reasons so if any of you have winter stuff, repellants or baseball equipment, it will be distributed as needed down there. I especially want to thank the Agua Viva school in Maneadero for filling almost every inch of available space left in the van with food and clothing. So much so that after computing travel on the way down, I was getting 5 miles per gallon. Ouch! And that was down hill. Or was it ? Nevertheless, there are now literally hundreds of people (humans) enjoying clothes and foods that they have never had access to.
And on that note, baseball equipment was spread around everywhere. They all play and many had never seen aluminum bats. There ought to be some serious competition going on soon down there.
The Agua Viva project in Maneadero is one of the best I have seen down here. If you have donations to bring down, I recommend stopping there and giving it to them. They are wonderful people and they make sure the people who need the things the most are the ones who actually get it. And they are located just off the highway with ample parking for even the largest of motorhomes. Give it up guys, you don't need all that stuff and there are kids that really do.
I will be posting some pictures and stories in the sections of this board that pertain to the issues. Hasta luego
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 07:57 AM

Ski Baja: Thank you for yopur good report and Warm Heart!! Skeet/Loreto
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 09:51 AM
Snakes for Skeet

Skeet, I though you might appreciate this.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 09:53 AM
Dang, I did it backwards

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 11:13 AM

THANKS J.R. You are a good human!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2003 at 05:56 PM

Thanks for the update. Hopefully the water and bugs dry up real quick.

Any fish in that lake?

Trout?

Bass??

an old shoe :lol:

Keep up the good work. Enjoy reading your posts.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.